Author Topic: NeoLemmix version of "Copycat Lemmings"  (Read 55881 times)

Offline Essman

• View Profile
    • Ferret Face Games
Re: NeoLemmix version of "Copycat Lemmings"
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2020, 11:33:59 PM »
I don't get the point of Taxing 5 - More armatage shanks, the repeat of Tricky 16 - Armatage shanks, since the solutions are exactly the same.

Thanks for the review and level replays kaywhyn! I figured out what to download and how to watch your replays.
The two Armatage Shanks levels were more difficult when the bombers had to count down from 5. The second copy probably required perfect timing, but now with instant explosions it's much easier.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2020, 02:14:50 AM »
Thanks for the review and level replays kaywhyn! I figured out what to download and how to watch your replays.

Wow, so nice to hear from the author of his pack that originally started from Cheapo. It's like I came back to play this pack that's now available for NL at just the right time and you happened along to see that someone recently played your pack. You should definitely feel honored that your pack continues to live on due to how it got converted to NL. This honor goes to namida for converting the pack and making it playable in very old formats NL. I myself am glad this pack is available for NL, as I absolutely agree that this pack of yours is very high quality due to the many awesome levels and definitely deserves to be made playable in more modern engines. Most importantly, it's a very approachable pack for many since it stays quite easy throughout, even in the Taxing and Mayhem ranks. I definitely felt no real challenge until late into the Taxing and Mayhem ranks. That's not a bad thing at all. I love packs of any difficulty.

Since this was also brought up in recent discussions, do you have any plans to fix up the pack, or at least convert and make it available for the most recent New Formats NL? Seems like plenty of people here would love to see the pack playable in much more modern NL versions, as the one the pack is available and playable on is extremely outdated and no longer has any support in terms of fixing up bugs. Not to mention that the player controls are far clunkier than the newest NL versions and is what turns many people away from v1.43. However, as can be seen in the discussions, it would be extremely laborious to do so due to how much manual editing by hand needs to be done, and so far no one has really stepped up to do it. Now that you've been on again, perhaps you might consider converting it, but if not then it's fine. Whatever you decide to do with your pack we'll just have to respect your wishes.

I'm not sure if you been using NL or how much exposure you have had to it in the time you haven't been on, so I'm probably bringing this up way too soon for you and should take a step back and slow down so that you can catch your breath and bring yourself up to speed with it. Then again, I think you have known that your pack has been available for NL for quite a while in past login sessions. Again, I don't know your history with NL and so I shouldn't be making any assumptions.

The two Armatage Shanks levels were more difficult when the bombers had to count down from 5. The second copy probably required perfect timing, but now with instant explosions it's much easier.

I believe these levels have exactly identical layouts. The only difference is what skills are available, with the Taxing repeat having less skills, but the solution I use in both are exactly the same, which is why I don't understand the point of these levels, since there isn't much to distinguish between the original and the repeat level. Even if the bombers were timed, the levels are still easy, and the solutions are still identical.   
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Essman

• View Profile
    • Ferret Face Games
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2020, 03:56:08 AM »
Wow, so nice to hear from the author of his pack that originally started from Cheapo. It's like I came back to play this pack that's now available for NL at just the right time and you happened along to see that someone recently played your pack. You should definitely feel honored that your pack continues to live on due to how it got converted to NL. This honor goes to namida for converting the pack and making it playable in very old formats NL.

I was still subscribed to this thread so it was cool to see more replies. Namida did an amazing job converting my old level pack, I'm very grateful. I made them using a very basic level editor. Testing and organizing levels was not smooth at all, so there are some blunders like the two nearly identical Armatage Shanks levels.

I myself am glad this pack is available for NL, as I absolutely agree that this pack of yours is very high quality due to the many awesome levels and definitely deserves to be made playable in more modern engines. Most importantly, it's a very approachable pack for many since it stays quite easy throughout, even in the Taxing and Mayhem ranks. I definitely felt no real challenge until late into the Taxing and Mayhem ranks. That's not a bad thing at all. I love packs of any difficulty.

Thanks! If I start playing again I'm definitely looking for the easier packs to start with.

Since this was also brought up in recent discussions, do you have any plans to fix up the pack, or at least convert and make it available for the most recent New Formats NL? Seems like plenty of people here would love to see the pack playable in much more modern NL versions, as the one the pack is available and playable on is extremely outdated and no longer has any support in terms of fixing up bugs.

No plans, but if I had the time I'd choose to recreate/redesign all of the old Copycat levels using the standard graphic styles. Basically start each level from scratch and keep a similar solution, or rework it as necessary. Just have to learn the new level editor and take it slow (if I find some time...)

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2020, 04:08:35 AM »
No plans, but if I had the time I'd choose to recreate/redesign all of the old Copycat levels using the standard graphic styles. Basically start each level from scratch and keep a similar solution, or rework it as necessary. Just have to learn the new level editor and take it slow (if I find some time...)

Sounds great! :thumbsup: I absolutely enjoyed your Copycat Lemmings pack to the max, especially this second play through this time around. I would had posted in this topic earlier when I had played through the pack months ago earlier this year, but I didn't realize that I didn't have the setting to automatically save replays if successful enabled. So, I remedied that by playing through the pack a few nights ago to get my replays for the pack so I can share them with you/this community and provide awesome feedback ;)

Nice to finally meet you and see you on here again. Welcome back. :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2021, 11:17:06 PM »
Can anyone post a working link to this old pack?
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2021, 01:10:58 PM »
@Jeremy Here you go

Copycat v1.01

You need v1.43nF of the NL player to play the pack, which you can download here: Neolemmix v1.43nF

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2021, 12:29:59 AM »
Thanks! I been wanting to play with this.
...Jeremy Kapp