Author Topic: Ideas for Skills  (Read 14823 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Ideas for Skills
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 08:08:27 AM »
The Eraser - When assigned, it erases any steel areas, traps, or water within a certain radius of the lemming.

The InvinciLem - A lemming given this ability simply cannot die.  Traps, water, and splat falls have no effect on him.  If he falls off the bottom of the screen, he will re-appear at the top.  (I can think of a zillion uses for this last feature alone.)

The former is somewhat similar to the Mechanic skill in NeoLemmix; the last part of the latter exists in NeoLemmix but as a gimmick rather than a skill (if you aren't familiar with NeoLemmix and/or the Lemmings Plus series, a "gimmick" is a twist to the mechanics that applies to an entire level; they vary from subtle changes such as how the skill counts work, to things as major as having to kill the lemmings instead of save them, or even having zombie lemmings - the latter has an entire (small) game built around it).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 09:59:11 AM »
Hoverer<snip>This, floater and glider are mutually exclusive.

Hmm, not necessarily.  I can think of a version where if the lemming hovers himself straight into a wall, he'd end up falling in that case, and then the floater can apply.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2015, 10:46:25 AM »
Chaff Bomber: Intended for multiplayer. Like a regular (non-flinging) bomber, but sprays a ton of confetti to temporarily block visibility and assignment of skills in the area. (And yes, it is a timed bomber.)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2015, 12:28:27 PM »
Hmm, I wonder if the assignment-blocking aspect (I assume it affects everyone?  or just only your team?) can work out decently if you take out the "blow up terrain" aspect of things (while keeping it timed) and keep the area relatively small.  At least it would make the player spend an actual bomber if he needs that additional aspect utilized.

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2015, 09:39:22 PM »
for using the doomsday gimmick: Gunner Pulls out a rifle and fires at zombie lemmings the number on top of the zombie lemmings will be their health
if they're too close to the zombie lemmings when assigned they'll pull out a knife and slash 'em killing them instantly

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2015, 09:47:33 PM »
As cool as that would be; NeoLemmix doesn't have room for any more skills in the level format, nor would it be very easy to implement further new ones in the current code (even implementing these 8 was quite a hassle; I'm glad that when I implemented the first 7 I thought ahead and decided "I'll probably want to add one more later" and thus designed the code to be prepared for that).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2016, 04:33:56 PM »
Thought up a few more in the case that namida decides to add more skills:

Corroder - a permanent skill where lemmings can destroy any steel. This might cause potential backroutes, though (like what happened with ghosts' ability to bash one-way walls before namida removed that).

Ramper (suggested by bsmith in the Fencer skill topic) - builders can build downwards. Since we already have horizontal/diagonal-up construction skills, I don't see why we can't have one diagonal-down one as well.

Armorer (feel free to come up with a better name!) - a permanent skill which turns the lemming invincible - they can walk through water and continuous traps (i.e. fire), treat floors/walls as solid, and walk past traps (but not disarm them!). This is especially useful for continuous traps as we have yet to have a skill that bypasses these (like the disarmer for regular traps and the swimmer for water).

Remover (suggested by möbius in his topic) - removes a permanent skill from a lemming. You may choose which permanent skill to remove.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 04:39:12 PM by Wafflem »
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline CosmicLemming

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2016, 07:20:16 PM »
Inflammor

If you give a lemming the Inflammor ability it's 'dress' will become yellow, it's hair will burst into flames, and can swim in lava if given the Swimmer ability (NeoLemmix and Lemmings 2). It will create tunnels inside of flammale objects, I drew what it could possibly look like.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 04:54:36 AM by LunarLemming »

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2016, 11:25:14 PM »
warning; radical view ahead:

I liked L3's ability to make skills go in various directions. This would be an awesome way to combine/consolidate what I personally feel are too many skills in NL or Lix. Builders can build either classically; platform, stack or go downwards diagonally. One Digging skill can do the same; bash, mine (down and up like fencer), and dig. Climbers can climb up both walls and across ceilings. A climber in this case which climbed a wall and encounters a ceiling flat across would then cross the ceiling as well. To prevent this place a small piece of terrain below the ceiling for him to reach and fall from.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2016, 06:35:20 PM »
Teleporter
Click on a lemming. Then click anywhere in the level to have the lemming appear in that particular spot. This can be more useful than the object itself because you can have the lemming absolutely appear anywhere.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!