Author Topic: Family Feud 2015  (Read 139793 times)

Offline Quizmaster

• We have asked 100 people...
    • View Profile
Re: Family Feud 2015
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2015, 12:25:05 PM »
I'd like to state a clarification for question 12, since it kind of wasn't explicitly mentioned in the post.

Skill prices are global, meaning at the beginning, each skill would cost 0 points. Then, if a player would buy a climber skill, he would get it for free, afterwards the climber skill is priced 0.2 points for the next time this skill is bought, be it by the same player or another player afterwards - skills retain their price for all future players. (That is why late-comers might be in danger to spend too many points on a skill that has been bought often before.)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2015, 12:42:25 PM »
^ In this case, how is it determined who bought the skill first? Is it the same way their "turns" are determined?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Ramon

• View Profile
    • JRK Studios
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2015, 01:45:09 PM »
Yes, each player buys his skills directly before his turn.

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2015, 07:19:32 PM »
As a reminder: This round will most likely be resolved in around 24 hours, so in case you haven't joined yet, now is the time to do so!

(*cough* This is a great chance to push Akseli off his feud throne! *cough*) Oh my, where did this cold come from.

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2015, 09:44:35 PM »
Looks like the results for Round 3 are in!

1. Name a film series featuring at least three installments.
Star Wars - ccx, NaOH, Timballisto, geoo, Akseli, Simon, Minim (1 point)
Harry Potter - namida (1/7 point)
Back to the Future - mobius (1/7 point)

2. Name a trick you can perform on a skateboard.
ollie/jump - NaOH, Timballisto, geoo, Akseli, Minim, namida (1 point)
one-eighty - Simon (1/6 point)
grind - mobius (1/6 point)
falling - ccx (1/6 point)

Quote from: ccx
2. falling [hey, you asked for trick "you can perform"...that's the only one I can do with a skateboard! ;P ]

3. Name a public transportation vehicle.
bus - ccx, NaOH, geoo, mobius, Simon, Minim, namida (1 point)
train - Timballisto (1/7 point)
plane - Akseli (1/7 point)

4. Name an ancient human civilization.
Egyptians - ccx, Timballisto, geoo, Minim (1 point)
Aztecs - Akseli, mobius (1/2 point)
Romans - NaOH, Simon (1/2 point)
Mayans - namida (1/4 point)

5. Name a famous skiing resort.
This question should have most likely been a bit narrowed down as there were (almost) exclusively different answers.

Whistler Blackcomb - NaOH, mobius (1 point) (that is assuming NaOH meant that by "Whistler")
Aspen - ccx (1/2 point)
Breckenridge - Timballisto (1/2 point)
Jasná - geoo (1/2 point)
Chamonix - Akseli (1/2 point)
L'Alpe d'Huez - Simon (1/2 point) ("this appeared in my French book in High School")
Jackson Hole - Minim (1/2 point)
Malik Pass - namida (1/2 point)

6. Name a board game that can be played by at least 2 people.
Chess - ccx, NaOH, geoo, Akseli (1 point)
Monopoly - Simon, namida (1/2 point)
Snakes & Ladders - Minim (1/4 point)
Checkers - Timballisto (1/4 point)
Go - mobius (1/4 point)

7. Name one of the four classical (not chemical) elements.
Earth - NaOH, Akseli, mobius, Simon, Minim, namida (1 point)
Fire - ccx, geoo, Timballisto (1/2 point)

You will need to explain to me why Earth was so popular (seriously the first 6 answers I got were Earth).

Quote from: namida
7. Earth (was tempted to say "Heart" and see how many people got the reference)

8. Name a famous mathematician.
Euler - ccx, Simon (1 point)
Gauss - NaOH, geoo (1 point)
Pythagoras - Minim, namida (1 point)
Archimedes - Akseli (1/2 point)
Euclid - mobius (1/2 point)
Insane Steve - Timballisto (1/2 point) (  :thumbsup: style points)

9. Name a fear that does not originate from creatures.
Acrophobia / Fear of Heights - ccx, Timballisto, Akseli, mobius, Simon, namida (1 point)
Claustrophobia / Fear of tight Spaces - geoo, Minim (1/3 point)
Nyctophobia / Fear of Dark - NaOH (1/6 point)

10. Which one of the original 8 skill lemmings would be most likely to play in a band?
Bomber - NaOH, geoo, minim (1 point)
Digger - Timballisto, mobius (2/3 points)
Floater - ccx (1/3 point)
Blocker - Akseli (1/3 point)
Builder - Simon (1/3 point)
Basher - namida (1/3 point)

Quote from: mobius
10. digger [in the DOS pic I used to think it looked like the lemming was playing a banjo. Don't ask me why]

10. Basher; put 'em on the drums

Quote from: Minim
10. Bomber (Boom, Boom, Pow maybe? :lix-grin:)

All the others shall feel obliged to tell me their motives for choosing the respective skill lemming to play in a band.

11. You are now playing Lemmings and need to beat a level with 2 Lemmings and a save requirement of 50%.
Basher - Akseli, Simon, minim (1/3 point)
Digger - NaOH, mobius (1/2 point)
Walker - ccx (1 point)
Builder - Timballisto (1 point)
Floater - geoo (1 point)
Miner - namida (1 point)

Nobody chose climber or bomber, so the Quizmaster gets 2*infinite points.

Quote from: Simon
11. Basher, nobody will use the basher, everybody will use the miner because they want to be sneaky

12. Pseudo-multiplayer lemmings!

Now, this will get interesting. Here a little recap of how the level looks like:

ACTIONS:
1 -> 1: ccx - Floater
2 -> 4: namida - Floater, Builder at 1
3 -> 18: geoo - Floater
4 -> 51: mobius
5 -> 74: Akseli
6 -> 77: minim - Walker at 1, Builder at 5, Miner at 3 (I adjusted this on short notice because Miner cannot be used at point 2)
7 -> 82: Simon - Walker at 1
8 -> 89: Timballisto
9 -> 91: NaOH - Miner at 1, Digger at 2

In the beginning, there was ccx, having a nice day and buying a Floater skill (-0 points). Being very eager to leave the trapdoor he immediately notices the bad air conditioning in the level and chokes a little (-1/2 points). However he didn't forget to bring his umbrella and manages to float down to the exit safely. (+1 point)

Next up, namida, already hatching evil plans. He buys a Floater (-0.2 points), and as a second skill (-0.3 points) a Builder (-0 points). The air hasn't become considerably better (-1/4 points), but still namida presses on and immediately uses his set of bricks to build a splat trap right in front of the trapdoor. (Remember the description said we'd assume a bridge at position 1 would make lemmings splat.) Having brought an umbrella, namida manages to reach the exit (+1 point) after floating down his bridge trap and a pit. The level now looks as follows:

Afterwards, geoo decides to buy a Floater (-0.4 points), gives a remark about the bad air (-1/6 points) and simply bypasses namida's trap without any problems, floats down the pit and happily enters the exit (+1 point).

mobius is the next one to enter the level, still feeling minimally intoxicated by the air (-1/8 points). Having no worries he just strolls along the path until he falls off a bridge. His life flashes before his eyes before he splats on the ground (-0.5 points).

Akseli (the level's air is finally fresh) enters the level, not buying any skills. Sadly he suffers the same fate as mobius, not anticipating the pit that opened up in front of him after climbing namida's bridge (-0.5 points). Guess there aren't many pit traps back in Finland.

The next one to roll is Minim, stocking up 3 skills (-0.3*2 points): buying a Walker (-0 points), a Builder (-0.2 points) and a Miner (-0 points). He quickly anticipates a trap upon seeing namida's bridge and turns around. After a while he builds a bridge over a pit and then finally uses his pickaxe to mine himself a path to the exit (+1 point). The level now looks as follows:

Next up is Simon with a Walker (-0.2 points) skill. Cautiously he approaches the bridge but then turns around. Since Minim has laid out such a nice path, Simon manages to reach the exit (+1 point).

Timballisto enters the level in high spirits to reach the exit, but his hopes are shattered as namida's bridge thwarts his master-plan to follow a previous lemming's nicely laid path to the exit. (-0.5 points)

Quote from: Timballisto
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh 89.  Buy nothing.  Go.  Trust in your god young Lemming.

Finally, NaOH decides to take a peek at the level and buys a Miner (-0.2 points) and a Digger (-0 points, -0.3 points for second skill). Upon reaching the bridge, the destructive NaOH takes out her pickaxe and destroys it in a burst of rage. Afterwards the path is laid out clear and she manages to simply walk all the way to the exit without ever using her digging gloves. (+1 point) The level now looks as follows:

That concludes this multiplayer game with the following results:
ccx +0.5 points
NaOH +0.5 points
Timballisto -0.5 points
geoo +0.433 points
Akseli -0.5 points
mobius -0.625 points
Simon +0.8 points
Minim +0.2 points
namida +0.25 points

------------------------------------

Feud Conclusion
geoo - 9.77 points
NaOH - 9.67 points
ccx - 9.00 points
minim - 8.62 points
Simon - 8.13 points
namida - 7.98 points
Timballisto - 7.06 points
Akseli - 6.81 points
mobius - 6.10 points

Congratulations to the 9 winners and thanks to all participants! And with this, I step down from my Quizmaster throne  :8():

Here a link to the spreadsheet in case anybody wants to check for mistakes (I'm doing this for my first time and I know the formatting sucks :D )

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jTrEtx6rr9DLmuEJNB9JV5vO-1xH_MEVK8IhcXZFKtc/pubhtml

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2015, 11:45:46 AM »
#1 - Another connection to the previous feud round. :P
#4 - Oh yes, a Lemmings reference there.
#6 - This was a question that I had prepared for my possible upcoming feud rounds. :P
#7 - This was imo interesting and a good question, because I really thought that all the possible answers were really equally strong, I am as well surprised by the outcome. :lem-mindblown: A guess: People checked this topic from Wikipedia, and "earth" was just mentioned there first? :P
#10 - Blocker, because he keeps rhythm with his foot . Bomber is also a good answer because of the countdown.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2015, 10:22:52 PM »
Name a famous skiing resort:
Whistler Blackcomb was the first google search for the question, I'm surprised more people didn't get this.

Name one of the four classical (not chemical) elements:
earth is the first in the usual list and the band name "Earth wind and fire"

Name a famous mathematician:
I was gonna say Euler. I did high school project on Euler but I thought he was not the most well known compared to the others.

I didn't bother with the complicated questions.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2015, 11:13:51 PM »
Hi,

thanks to Ramon for hosting the previous round. The last question was probably the most elaborate yet.

This round is a simpler one. It will be open until Saturday, 23:59 UTC. I'll be away during next week and want to resolve the feud before that, early Sunday.

Everybody on this forum can participate. Send your answers to the Quizmaster via private message.

The first 10 questions have normal feud scoring.

1. Name a four-letter word that ends with ARE.
2. Name a funny letter from the English alphabet.
3. Name a spice found in many kitchens.
4. Name a favorite meal of small children.
5. Name a type of tea.
6. Name a favorite pastime of the ancient Romans.
7. Name the number of days per week on which the average Finn enjoys sauna.
8. Name a country where many Lemmings Forums users come from.
9. Your upstairs neighbor is playing loud music. What do you use to knock against the ceiling?
10. Oh là là! Your relatives de Françe make une visite surprise. Le what dish do you serve them to make them très happi?

11. The restaurant offers three types of pizza:
a) Leek pizza,
b) Arabic pizza with 1001 spices and curry chicken, recommended by restaurant chef Abdn Hdn Abk,
c) Real American cowboy pizza with freshly shot meat and healthy barbecue sauce.
11 a. Choose one of them to eat. (no scoring)
11 b. Guess which pizza is eaten by most players. You must guess different pizzas for 11a and 11b. Scoring is similar to a feud question: (eaters of your guessed pizza) / (eaters of the most-eaten pizza).

-- Simon

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2015, 09:59:42 PM »
I wonder who's going to win this time.  :8:()[: :8:()[:

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2015, 11:27:13 PM »
Hi everyone,

here's the resolution of the feud. It's slightly earlier than the promised time of resolution, but with a whopping 13 entrants, I don't expect more. Here we go.

Quote from: grams88
This must be Simon, Hi Simon
Quote from: Pieuw
Hey there, prickly Quizzmaster. Here are my answers:

Very happy, very happy!

1. Name a four-letter word that ends with ARE.

Care (1.00 points) - Simon, Minim, Pieuw, grams88, Proxima, Akseli, NaOH
Dare (0.57 points) - ccexplore, namida, Timballisto, Ramon
Bare (0.29 points) - 607, geoo

Quote from: 607
bare. (at first I wanted to say fare, but then I decided to do the first one in alphabetical order)

2. Name a funny letter from the English alphabet.

Q (1.00 points) - namida, Minim, 607, Proxima, Timballisto
W (0.40 points) - ccexplore, Akseli
K (0.40 points) - Simon, NaOH
Z (0.20 points) - grams88
P (0.20 points) - Pieuw
F (0.20 points) - Ramon
A (0.20 points) - geoo

3. Name a spice found in many kitchens.

Pepper (1.00 points) - ccexplore, Pieuw, 607, Akseli, NaOH, geoo, Timballisto, Ramon
Salt (0.12 points) - Simon
Paprika (0.12 points) - namida
Cinnamon (0.12 points) - Proxima
Chili (0.12 points) - Minim
Basil (0.12 points) - grams88

Quote from: geoo
pepper (salt is not a spice. If it wins then I'll boil a very salty brew and sacrifice everyone who answered salt in it)

4. Name a favorite meal of small children.

Mac and Cheese (1.00 points) - namida, Timballisto
French Fries (1.00 points) - Akseli, 607
Mc Donald's Happy Meal (1.00 points) - ccexplore, Ramon
Wurst (0.50 points) - geoo
Spaghetti (0.50 points) - Simon
Porridge (0.50 points) - Proxima
Pizza (0.50 points) - grams88
Fish and Chips (0.50 points) - Minim
Burgers and French Fries (0.50 points) - Pieuw
Baby Food (0.50 points) - NaOH

Sadly, candies are no meal. I'd say burgers and French fries.
French fries. (those are weird children, I've always preffered Brussels sprouts and spinach).
This is a tricky one, I will have to think what would other people pick. (Pizza) I loved pizza as a kid. Used to get those tiny cheese pizzas that you put in the microwave. :8():
wurst (should be spaghetti, but I'm trying to give boring answers here)

See, geoo, you should have picked spaghetti for +0.5 points.

Inspired by the results, I plan to make Mac'n'Cheese myself sometime, with the real American recipe using lots of cheddar.

5. Name a type of tea

Green tea (1.00 points) - ccexplore, namida, Minim, Akseli, geoo, Ramon
Black tea (0.67 points) - Simon, Pieuw, NaOH, Timballisto
Strawberry (0.17 points) - 607
Chamomile (0.17 points) - Proxima
Camellia (0.17 points) - grams88

I don't think Chamomile and Camellia are the same plant, even though they have similar names.

I chose to set English Breakfast equal to Black tea. Herem's the reasoning, with a little digression:

Quote from: IRC
[23:52] <SimonN> okay, is English Breakfast tea the same as Black tea?
[23:52] <SimonN> it is a subclass really, but the important black teas are all inside
[23:53] <Akseli> as for the tea question, people have weird answers :P
[23:54] <SimonN> I expected everyone to state Green tea or Black tea, people haven't :>
[23:55] <geoo> SimonN: with all the spoilers that have been said in here, I think there's no point waiting for further submissions
[23:56] <SimonN> I don't think anyone will enter anyway, we have 13 submissions
[23:56] <SimonN> and I want to be done by that time
[23:57] <Akseli> : - - - - - - D
[23:58] <Akseli> 13 is ridiculously many for Feud that's been ongoing for half a week
[23:59] <SimonN> all you gotta do is ask good questions about food and la frençhe cuisine!
[00:00] <SimonN> okay, Black tea (== or !=) English Breakfast would bump the English Breakfast guy from place 11/13 to 8/13, and it switches places between 3/13 and 4/13
[00:00] <SimonN> so it won't affect too much
[00:02] <SimonN> I will let Yahoo Answers take care of this one, (link to Yahoo Answers) -- and thus I'll merge the answers

6. Name a favorite pastime of the ancient Romans.

Gladiator Fights (1.00 points) - Simon, ccexplore, Proxima, Akseli
Fighting (0.50 points) - Minim, grams88
Visiting the Colloseum (0.25 points) - namida
Sauna (0.25 points) - geoo
Killing people (0.25 points) - Timballisto
Hopscotch (0.25 points) - Ramon
Having sex (0.25 points) - Pieuw
Gambling with dice (0.25 points) - 607
Chariot racing (0.25 points) - NaOH

Quote from: ccexplore
gladiator fights [really tempted answer: "orgies" (even though probably a myth) ]
Having sex. I'm just being realistic :P
sauna/sudatorium/spa (same thing :P)

Here, I had to make painful decisions on what to treat as equal.

Gladiator fights == Watching gladiator fights,
Gladiator fights != Visiting the Colloseum != Chariot racing,
Gladiator fights != Killing people,
Gladiator fights != Fighting,
Fighting == Battling.

Reason treating "gladiator fights" distinct from "visiting the Collosseum":

Quote from: Wikipedia
The Colosseum was used to host gladiatorial shows as well as a variety of other events. The shows, called munera, were always given by private individuals rather than the state. They had a strong religious element but were also demonstrations of power and family prestige, and were immensely popular with the population. Another popular type of show was the animal hunt, or venatio.

7. Name the number of days per week on which the average Finn enjoys sauna.

7 (1.00 points) - ccexplore, namida, Pieuw, 607, grams88, Proxima, NaOH, geoo, Timballisto, Ramon
1 (0.20 points) - Simon, Akseli
2 (0.10 points) - Minim

Since Akseli is from Finland, 1 is much more correct than 7. Nobody cares much though, since this is the feud, where you must go for popularity. :-)

Must be 7 days a week, need to ask Akseli. :thumbsup:
7. (not too realistic, but it was the question number, so yeah...)
I guess they enjoy sauna seven days a week. If the question meant "How many days a week are they actually having sauna?" it was unclear :D

8. Name a country where many Lemmings Forums users come from.

USA (1.00 points) - Simon, namida, Pieuw, 607, Proxima, Akseli
Germany (0.50 points) - ccexplore, geoo, Ramon
Great Britain (0.33 points) - Minim, grams88
New Zealand (0.17 points) - NaOH
Azerbaijan (0.17 points) - Timballisto

This one was pretty hard, USA has at least 3 people coming from it, but there are many other countries with at least 2 prominent members.

USA (was tempted to check memberlists/etc, but then realised that no one else is going to think to do that)

9. Your upstairs neighbor is playing loud music. What do you use to knock against the ceiling?

Broom (1.00 points) - Simon, ccexplore, Pieuw, grams88, NaOH, geoo, Timballisto, Ramon
My hands (0.38 points) - Minim, 607, Akseli
Very powerful sound waves (0.12 points) - namida
Rapier (0.12 points) - Proxima

broom [although practically speaking, I suspect people are more likely to have an umbrella than a broom]
Quote from: Minim
My hands (I'm tall, so I can reach the ceiling easily)
my hand. (I hope the ceiling is not too tough)

10. Oh là là! Your relatives de Françe make une visite surprise. Le what dish do you serve them to make them très happi?

Baguette (1.00 points) - Simon, Akseli, Ramon
Escargot (1.00 points) - ccexplore, Timballisto, grams88
Wurst (0.33 points) - geoo
Um... French stuff? (0.33 points) - namida
Soup (0.33 points) - Minim
Magret de canard with rosemary roasted potatoes (0.33 points) - Pieuw
Crêpes (0.33 points) - 607
Croissants (0.33 points) - NaOH
Bouillabaisse (0.33 points) - Proxima

Snails == Escargot, here.
Soup != Bouillabaisse, the latter is is a subclass of soup.

Escargot [mostly for feud purpose only--realistically speaking, unless you're an actual decent French chef or have actually decent French restaurants in your locale, you are probably better off avoiding French dishes altogether?]
Escargots, frog legs, cheese and baguette! Hum, more seriously, magret de canard with rosemary roasted potatoes. Nobody will answer that and now I'm hungry, this question is evil.
wurst (I think they want something exotic rather than something they are used to like baguette or quiche)

11a. Pizza eaten, no scoring.

Leek (6 people) - ccexplore, namida, Minim, 607, NaOH, geoo
Arabic (5 people) - Simon, grams88, Akseli, Timballisto, Ramon
Cowboy (2 people) - Pieuw, Proxima

Leek pizza. (You didn't give much consideration of that some of us are vegetarian, dude. :( :P)

A whopping third of the broad menu was vegan even! Even IRL, I'd think leek pizza is good...

Leek pizza (no-one else likes that one)
Leek pizza. (I have no idea what that is, but it doesn't sound like someone would want it)

Awww, dangit. :-(

11b. Pizza guessed, this scores (eaters of guessed pizza) / (eaters of most-eaten pizza).

Leek (1.00 point) - (nobody has guessed this)
Arabic (0.83 points) - ccexplore, namida, Minim, Pieuw, Proxima, NaOH, geoo
Cowboy (0.33 points) - Simon, 607, grams88, Akseli, Timballisto, Ramon

Arabic pizza with 1001 spices and curry chicken, recommended by restaurant chef Abdn Hdn Abk (delicious)

Total scores

1.   ccexplore (9.30)
2.   Akseli (8.31)
3.   Timballisto (7.99)
4.   Ramon (7.85)
5.   Pieuw (7.78)
6.   namida (7.24)
7.   Simon (7.23)
8.   NaOH (7.15)
9.   Proxima (7.08)
10.   geoo (6.90)
11.   607 (6.74)
12.   grams88 (6.16)
13.   Minim (6.10)

We have some rising stars here. After a slow start, ccexplore hit all the top answers in a row. Congratulations!

Akseli got a nice second place, but is recommended to study the sauna habits of Finland further.

The lower part of the scoreboard is pretty bunched up, nobody should feel sad here either.

Thanks everyone for participating!

-- Simon
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 11:38:44 PM by Quizmaster »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2015, 11:57:42 PM »
If no one's decided to run the next Feud yet, I wouldn't mind having a go at running one at some point. :)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2015, 12:46:47 AM »
Muahahaha. I have gained control of the QuizMaster account and shall soon use it to TAKE OVER THE UNIVERSE!

But in the meantime, let's get the next round going! You all know the rules by now. Seems the normal resolution time is about two weeks, give or take, so we'll go with that. But enough about technical details, let's get onto the fun part - the questions!

Standard Feud Scoring

1. Name a place where you would go to buy pizza.

2. Name a country that does not have a president.

3. Name a level from "COVOX Lemmings".

4. Name a commonly-consumed product which is generally thought to be unhealthy.

5. Name a dwarf planet.

6. Name a real-life venomous creature.

7. Name an evil dictator (past or present).

8. Name a programming language.

9. Name a version of the Windows operating system.

10. Name a Lemmings Forums member who is not yourself, a global moderator or an administrator.

Non-Standard Scoring

11. Pick a whole number between 1 and 25. (Highest number gets 0.2 point, second highest gets 0.4 points, etc; but if two people choose the same number, both get zero points)
12. Pick a whole number between 1 and 25. (Lowest number gets 0.2 point, second lowest gets 0.4 points, etc; but if two people choose the same number, both get zero points)
13. Guess how many numbers will have "collisions" in question 11 and 12 combined. See below for more explanation on this. (Feud scoring)
14. Guess how many numbers will have "collisions" in question 11 and 12 combined. See below for more explanation on this. (Closest answer gets 2 points, second gets 1 point, third gets 0.5 points; in the case of multiple tied answers the points are split)

To further explain question 13 and 14, this is not how many people will pick the same number as someone else, but how many numbers will have more than one person picking them. For this, consider questions 11 and 12 seperately - eg. if the same number has a collision in both 11 and 12, this counts as two collisions. In the case of tied entries for #14, to give an example, if two players are tied for first, they would get 1.5 points each (2pts for 1st + 1pt for 2nd = 3pts, which split over two people = 1.5pts).

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2015, 10:32:57 PM »
In question 10, why did you add the restriction "not yourself"? It doesn't seem to serve any purpose, but disadvantages people likely to be picked in that question.

I quite liked the previous feud round, fun questions with a sensible spread of answers. And it's good to see that the boring answers don't win anymore. (Meaning I went with the wrong strategy of picking the first alphabetically, or 'wurst' for food questions. Had I gone with my intuitive answers I'd have scored full score on Q1, 2, 4 and 10. So no more of that in the future I guess.)

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2015, 03:08:18 AM »
About the answer on #10, this is an issue we've never clarified as a group. Feud answers that are factual mistakes are counted as-is. Does that hold for blatant disregard of the question? This is specifically about feud questions, not about nonstandard questions with their narrow kinds of allowed input.

Received this in a PM. I would say that yes, since it's feud scoring, even blatantly disregarding the question should still be scored as is - which might give a better result in this case, depending on who you are. This is probably something we should all discuss for future rounds, but for this round, it's pure feud scoring (except on the non-standard questions) regardless of whether your answer regards the limits of the question or not.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2015, 09:42:17 AM »
Yeah, it's been my understanding that even the most nonsensical or blatantly question-ignoring answers still count just like any other answers for normal feud scoring, ie. that is what normal feud scoring means.  IIRC, when I hosted my round I was careful to explicitly state in a few questions where I wanted to deviate from this, that certain answers will be "forbidden" and would result in a score of 0.  (And there are questions like #1 in my round, where the question is intentionally vague and basically invites for any and all answers to be scored, ie. normal feud scoring.)

In practice since it's fairly unlikely for multiple people to converge to the same nonsense/disregardful answer, under normal feud scoring it probably doesn't matter in the final outcome whether they count as 0 vs the very small number of points they likely end up earning.  But keep in mind it can be difficult to rigorously define "blatant disregard" and other such things--much simpler to say all answers count when those edge cases likely won't make a difference in the final outcome.