Author Topic: Official Lemmings Forums Level Design Contest #1 (Playing)  (Read 13521 times)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: Official Lemmings Forums Level Design Contest #1 (Playing)
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2015, 09:56:40 AM »
Lost in Colourland looks really hard from the start. Looks odd in the editor because of the exit.
There is a simple reason for this: The trigger area of the exit is so large, that you usually need two builders to build over it. However with a visible fake exit and an invisible real exit a few pixels below, you may start the builder nearer to the exit and manage to bridge it with just one builder.
I just wanted to give you this option - it does not mean that building over the exit is part of the intended solution!
And yes, at least the intended solution to Colourland is likely very hard to find.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2015, 11:16:17 AM »
In my opinion Cranes level was the most prettiest of the entries  :thumbsup: even though it got backrouted, but even that solution was solid and would make up a great "Tricky" one (cant speak for the intended difficulty though).
The best level solutionwise (for me) I must say is möbius level. I really enjoyed the level and I didn't think I backrouted it  :thumbsup:

« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 11:24:49 AM by IchoTolot »

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2015, 11:04:25 PM »
I didn't see IchoTolot made replays-- your solution (of my level) is similar to Nepster's but slightly different and looks slightly more backroutish so I made a fix:

Tomorrow I will try to solve other's levels.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 11:05:09 PM by namida »
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2015, 11:05:52 PM »
mobius; I removed the attachment as the voting will be based on the original submitted versions of the levels.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2015, 03:25:39 AM »
Alright, I finally had a proper go at these levels. I managed to solve all of them except Shadowrun; while I had a general idea here, the need to replay levels from the start (even with a replay feature - it still relies on you interrupting it at the right moment, and the fact it scrolls the screen automatically does not help) on Lemmini was driving me freaking crazy, so I gave up for now. Maybe I'm too used to Lemmix's fine control features...

Here's my replays for the four NeoLemmix ones.

My thoughts:

Precarious Construction (Part 2)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shadowrun

Careless Oasis

General Tsao's Lemming

Lost in Colourland

Definitely some great levels here! :)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2015, 08:18:07 AM »
...the need to replay levels from the start (even with a replay feature - it still relies on you interrupting it at the right moment, and the fact it scrolls the screen automatically does not help) on Lemmini was driving me freaking crazy, so I gave up for now. Maybe I'm too used to Lemmix's fine control features...

Never had big problems with the Lemmini replay system (Maybe I am just don't used to anything else). You know you can simply interrupt a replay and return to normal play mode by "just clicking" on a skill?
I always just speed up to right before the screwup point (or to the point I used the last correct skill) and click on a skill.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2015, 10:07:36 AM »
...the need to replay levels from the start (even with a replay feature - it still relies on you interrupting it at the right moment, and the fact it scrolls the screen automatically does not help) on Lemmini was driving me freaking crazy, so I gave up for now. Maybe I'm too used to Lemmix's fine control features...

Never had big problems with the Lemmini replay system (Maybe I am just don't used to anything else). You know you can simply interrupt a replay and return to normal play mode by "just clicking" on a skill?
I always just speed up to right before the screwup point (or to the point I used the last correct skill) and click on a skill.

Yep, I know how it works. Don't worry - I do intend to give your level another go! But I'm used to Lemmix, where you can actually hit Enter at any point to "mark" that point, then press Backspace to jump back to that exact frame; you can also press N (or click in empty space) while paused to advance by exactly one frame, and assigning a skill while paused doesn't unpause the game.
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2015, 11:29:51 AM »
...the need to replay levels from the start (even with a replay feature - it still relies on you interrupting it at the right moment, and the fact it scrolls the screen automatically does not help) on
Yep, I know how it works. Don't worry - I do intend to give your level another go! But I'm used to Lemmix, where you can actually hit Enter at any point to "mark" that point, then press Backspace to jump back to that exact frame; you can also press N (or click in empty space) while paused to advance by exactly one frame, and assigning a skill while paused doesn't unpause the game.

That Enter thing sounds really nice. Ok, now I can totally understand you :P  didn't know that before I wouldn't want to miss that feature either!  ;)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 04:25:00 AM »
I'm going to open the voting in about 24 hours, unless anyone has a problem with this.
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2015, 05:29:33 PM »
I've decided to upload a replay with the intended solution for my entry "Shadowrun", so that you can control yourself if you got the right solution or backrouted it.