Poll

Final Round - Vote for ONE level.

Wicked 03 "This Corrosion"
4 (33.3%)
Havoc 05 "There`s madness in the method"
8 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: April 13, 2015, 11:01:55 PM

Author Topic: Oh No! More Lemmings! Level Voteoff (Winner: Havoc 5)  (Read 44325 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Oh No! More Lemmings! Level Voteoff (Winner: Havoc 5)
« on: January 10, 2015, 04:27:35 AM »
So now that the voteoff for Original Lemmings is finished, it's time to do the Oh No! More Lemmings! one.

This will follow more or less the same format as the original did.

So, in each of six rounds, levels will be divided into sets according to the rules for that round. For the most part, this is just a matter of all levels within a round being rolled together, but a set may be re-rolled (together with the next set; and more if the problem persists after a few re-rolls) in the following cases:
* If the set does not contain levels from at least three difficulty ranks
* If 70% or more of the set comes from the same rank (rounded down)
* If the set contains more than three consecutive levels

In the fourth round, a set will be re-rolled if it does not contain levels from at least two difficulty ranks.

Obviously, these rules can be ignored if another result isn't possible. EG: If only Havoc levels make it to the 4th round, then of course the two difficulty ranks rule will be ignored.

Each round has a limit on the number of levels that qualify to proceed to the next round. However, this limit may be exceeded in certain situations, depending on the results. Here's how the "limit" and the results combine to determine the qualifying levels:
1) All levels in first place qualify, no matter what.
2) If the limit has not been reached, all levels in second place qualify, no matter what.
3) If the limit has not been reached, then 3rd, 4th and so on are considered, but *only* if (a) including them won't cause the limit to be exceeded, and (b) they have at least one vote (first round) or half as many votes as the first place levels (any other round).

There are two important changes I'm going to make here compared to the Orig one:
1) No discussion of any levels in the currently-being-voted set (or the set itself, beyond vague comments like "this is a hard decision") is allowed within the topic. You are free to discuss previous sets/rounds, though, apart from comments relating to the levels that are in the current set/round too. You're also free to discuss them elsewhere on the boards (or outside the boards altogether); just not in this topic.
2) Since this can now be edited/reset on the new board, I'll use the board's Poll Expiry option to determine the round's ending time. So, each set's voting will last for 2 days from when it's put up, except Round 6 which I will set to 3 days.

Round Breakdown

In all cases, when the sets cannot be divided equally, the remainder levels are added to the earlier rounds. EG: If a round says "divided into three equal sets" and there are 17 levels, the first two sets will have 6 levels each and the third set will have 5 levels. Likewise, if a round says "divided into sets of 5 levels" and there are 21 levels, the first set will get 6 levels. This does not affect the qualifying levels limit or the number of votes unless the round specifically states otherwise.

Round 1
Levels are broken into sets of 10 levels each. Three votes are allowed per user. Qualifying levels limit is 5.

Round 2
Levels are broken into sets of 5 levels each. Two votes are allowed per user. Qualifying levels limit is 3.

Round 3
Levels are broken into sets of 4 levels each. Two votes are allowed per user. Qualifying levels limit is 2.

Round 4
Levels are broken into three sets. Two votes are allowed per user. Qualifying levels limit is 2.

Round 5
Levels are in a single set. Two votes are allowed per user. Qualifying levels limit is 2.

Round 6
Levels are in a single set. One vote is allowed per user. This round determines the winner.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 11:21:28 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Oh No! More Lemmings! Level Voteoff (Current: Preparation)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 04:27:46 AM »
This voteoff has now finished. See attached XLS file for round breakdowns and results.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 05:18:08 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Oh No! More Lemmings! Level Voteoff (Current: Round 1, Section 1)
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 04:44:55 AM »
Voting for the first set is now open. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline keiya

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 06:01:49 AM »
Aw man, I only just beat Lemmings 1 finally, so I'm still stuck on Crazy 16.

Offline Tiduas

• View Profile
    • YouTube Channel with a focus on Retro and Indie titles.
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 10:28:42 AM »
I really like compact levels like **removed by admin**, it's both really fun to solve and I just like looking at it. :D
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 01:20:42 PM by namida »
YouTube channel about video game music, retro and indie games.
https://www.youtube.com/@Teedyan

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 12:26:03 PM »
Spoiler alert: All the garbage "Tame" levels will fall out at stage 1  :D

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 01:21:06 PM »
I really like compact levels like **removed by admin**, it's both really fun to solve and I just like looking at it. :D

Please don't discuss levels in the current set in this topic. It's fine to post about them after the set ends. :)

Spoiler alert: All the garbage "Tame" levels will fall out at stage 1  :D

Some of them are kinda fun...
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 02:27:03 PM »
Maybe calling them "garbage" was way too hard from me, but nevertheless they are all nearly the same "use ~three skills and win" type and even for the first difficulty this is a bit underwhelming. If the first 8 or so are like this ok, but 20...  Furthermore the gap from "Tame" to "Crazy" is way too high, because "Tame" doesn't prepare you enough for the things which will come.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 02:29:22 PM »
Based on the level order in the data files, I think it's very likely that ONML was originally intended to only have the hard levels (it was intended as an "addon pack", after all), and Tame was tagged on as an extra rank of easy levels as a last-minute thought. This is because the other four ranks' levels are randomly scattered throughout the data files, but Tame's levels are all at the end and in the exact same order as they are in-game.

Indeed, something similar (but on a much smaller scale) is seen with one of my packs, specifically Lemmings Plus II. The regular levels are all there in correct order; but the secret levels were a very late addition and as such, they don't follow on from the ranks' normal levels, but rather, all 5 of them are at the end of the data files (at least in the traditional Lemmix version). The same is not true for the bonus pack, which was intended to have them from the start.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Tiduas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 10:33:20 PM »

Please don't discuss levels in the current set in this topic. It's fine to post about them after the set ends. :)

Sorry about that one, completely missed that part of the rules!  :P

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 09:42:21 PM »
Qualifying levels from this set are:

Crazy 06 "The Stack"
Wild 15 "THE SILENCE OF THE LEMMINGS"
Wicked 01 "LeMming ToMato KetchUp fAcilitY"
Wicked 20 "The Lemming Funhouse"
Havoc 19 "Looks a Bit Nippy Out There"

Next set is up. :) Remember, don't discuss levels from the current set while it's in progress; however it's fine to discuss levels from the last set now.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Oh No! More Lemmings! Level Voteoff (Current: Round 1, Section 2)
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 09:47:36 PM »
Qualifying levels are:

Wild 01 "PoP YoR ToP!!!"
Havoc 10 "Flow Control"
Havoc 14 "Synchronised Lemming"
Havoc 17 "Where Lemmings Dare"

Next round is up. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 10:50:19 PM »
Qualifying levels are:

Wild 01 "PoP YoR ToP!!!"
Havoc 10 "Flow Control"
Havoc 14 "Synchronised Lemming"
Havoc 17 "Where Lemmings Dare"

Next round is up. :)

that awful level made it??  :P
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Tiduas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 12:33:44 AM »
Qualifying levels are:

Wild 01 "PoP YoR ToP!!!"

that awful level made it??  :P

I totally agree with that, really didn't like that level when I played it. :P But that's the fun part about the voting, to see the difference in taste of everyone ^^

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Oh No! More Lemmings! Level Voteoff (Current: Round 1, Section 3)
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 12:34:57 AM »
I was more surprised about Havoc 14 having more votes than Havoc 10 personally.
My Lemmings projects