Author Topic: [OLD] Player Bugs / Suggestions  (Read 122046 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: Player Bugs / Suggestions
« Reply #210 on: August 07, 2015, 12:25:24 AM »
can we still post suggestions?

I may have mentioned this before but I don't remember; now it's starting to irritate me. Can we please modify the sound effects? I hate the old Amiga sound effects. Especially that annoying low "boing bururur" sound of selecting a skill. It's so loud and just irritating. There's tons of sounds on the internets to choose from.
 I really want new sounds. I want new sounds *throws tantrum*

Are you meaning as in actually have terrain appear mid-gameplay? This currently doesn't happen - if, say, the level had terrain appear between 12:30 and 12:40, if you started playing at 12:29, and were still playing at 12:30, the terrain wouldn't suddenly appear - but if you restarted the level (even just by pressing R) at this point, it would appear.

if you don't mind my asking; what gave you the idea for this one? I think it's the most bizarre gimmick yet. :P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #211 on: August 07, 2015, 06:35:33 AM »
Initially the idea behind the clock gimmick was to have a level in Omega where subtle changes occur at random, meaning you had to try until they were favorable. But I felt this would be too unfair, so I instead made it so that the changes were more obvious and the level was fairly clearly impossible without them.

Can we please modify the sound effects? I hate the old Amiga sound effects.

It's a good thing NeoLemmix uses the Windows sound effects then. :P
But thanks, I'll keep in mind for V2.00n to support switching sets of sound effects (at least for system sounds; trap sounds etc would most likely be treated as part of graphic sets rather than part of the core sounds).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #212 on: August 08, 2015, 10:04:58 AM »
Discovered a bug relating to pre-placed lemmings in multiple-window levels. The preplaced lemmings are counted as having spawned, which affects which window the first lemming comes from.

For example, say we have a level with three windows (A, B and C). If you were to put one pre-placed lemming in this level, the first lemming to spawn from a window would come from window B, not A. And if there were two pre-placed lemmings, the first spawned lemming would come from window C. After this point the pattern continues as normal (so after window B, the next lemming always comes from window C. It only affects where the starting point in the release order is.)

It's a minor bug, and the behaviour is consistent, so level designers can adjust for this - they just need to be sure to take it into account. I won't release an update to fix this; but it will be fixed in V2.00n. I'll make sure V2.00n accounts for this when importing older levels.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 08, 2015, 06:26:18 PM »
alright, I promise this will be my last minor/ sort of major imo issue/bug thing for this version or whatever. [I need to be doing other things anyway]

I should mention again; something which I think isn't just a personal preference but pretty important I think; the way zombies are counted as normal lemmings in the level menu screen. The level designer has to account for this when setting the numbers and it's confusing to the player too. Currently the menu screen will read one thing while in level it says another.
I don't care if other minor things don't get fixed but this is pretty major imo.

Initially the idea behind the clock gimmick was to have a level in Omega where subtle changes occur at random, meaning you had to try until they were favorable. But I felt this would be too unfair, so I instead made it so that the changes were more obvious and the level was fairly clearly impossible without them.

Can we please modify the sound effects? I hate the old Amiga sound effects.

It's a good thing NeoLemmix uses the Windows sound effects then. :P
But thanks, I'll keep in mind for V2.00n to support switching sets of sound effects (at least for system sounds; trap sounds etc would most likely be treated as part of graphic sets rather than part of the core sounds).

oh, how could I forget that? I had the windows version :XD: . The trap sounds sounds good, I don't have a problem with those anyway. It's a personal preference anyway and not that important.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #214 on: August 08, 2015, 06:42:58 PM »
I won't release a V1.35-D (or V1.36n) update to deal with that, but I'll most certianly handle it better in V2.00n. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 10, 2015, 07:36:24 PM »
I just had a cool idea that is only a minor modification to a system already in place:

the reverse of the locked exit. If you can start the level with the exit open and when all buttons are pressed it closes; now the buttons are things to avoid instead of hit. Other setups; you could have zombies roaming around, aiming to press the buttons.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #216 on: August 20, 2015, 01:58:14 PM »
It looks like a V1.35n-D update might have to happen after all, due to two major glitches that I've found (in particular the second one):

> Sometimes lemmings will get stuck in terrain if they fall into a digger pit being dug by a ghost
> Two-way teleporters sometimes cause the complete disappearance of the lemming that is teleporting

The second one I encountered when playing one of DynaLem's levels, so it would seem it's relevant to existing content. The ghost bug won't matter too much as long as it's fixed before ZZ Project comes out...
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #217 on: September 01, 2015, 09:01:58 PM »
Another bug that's been encountered relates to climbers climbing from digger pits then hitting their heads at the top; in some cases some will splat and others won't despite falling the same distance. This showed up in one of my own Revenge of the Lemmings videos. If anyone else has encountered this and has a replay (in any level), please send me it, as I'm having quite a lot of difficulty reproducing this bug in a test level.

In regards to the other two known bugs, I have ideas of why they happen but haven't looked into them in detail yet. I can consistently reproduce the ghost digger one; the two-way teleporter one is not so consistent but I do have a replay where this occurs.
My Lemmings projects

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 01, 2015, 09:21:06 PM »
A Screen where it tells you that you won a talisman ;)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #219 on: September 02, 2015, 08:34:56 AM »
There's a message on the post-view screen, and it's staying that way until V2.00n. Further updates to V1.xxn branch is bugfixes only.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #220 on: September 26, 2015, 01:24:21 AM »
Any other bugs people have encountered in V1.35n-C? Since there are some pretty critical ones in there, I've already determined another update is nessecary; I'm close to fixing all the ones I know of, but if there's any more out there that fixing won't affect physics outside of cases specifically relying on the bug (or will only affect extremely obscure situations that no level is known to have made use of), let me know so that I can get them sorted.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Name Invaild

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 26, 2015, 03:37:03 AM »
I dunno if this is the right place to post this but given that the title of this thread has "Suggestions" in it perhaps this is the right place?

Was a Gravity Gimmick suggested before? I don't mean the "Anti-Gravity/No Gravity?" that's currently in NeoLemmix but I mean "flipping" the gravity to either be walking upside down or on the sides, etc. Something like this...

I color-coded them in the image to hopefully make it a bit easier to tell them apart. Blue is upside down, Yellow is on the right side, Green is normal, Red is on the left side and finally Purple is walking around the terrain without falling.

Now perhaps it may not be a gimmick maybe skills that allow lemmings to flip gravity in whichever direction or to act something like the Mango Boots in Lemmings 2: The tribes. There could also be an object that changes the Lemming's gravity.

Skill names since this suggests two I guess can be called... names can be changed if they don't fit.

Gravity Field/Change - Changes a lemming's gravity pull. An arrow will appear which will point to wherever the cursor is at much like how the Turner Skill in 3D Lemmings did. The skill is applied upon clicking a second time anywhere. Can cancel it by selecting another skill if you change your mind. Can also force a lemming with Gravity Boots to come off the terrain and go stick to different terrain. Think of it as moving from planet to planet.

Gravity Boots - Works like the Mango Boots in Lemmings 2: The Tribes however you can assign skills without losing the effect. Can't assign Climbers if a lemming has this skill since it'll always stick to the terrain however you can give it a Floater/Glider if you force-change gravity with the Gravity Field/Change and they will use them until they land on terrain.

This is perhaps more of an idea than a suggestion now looking at it but looking at all the gimmicks and new skills I figure I can give it a shot. It... wouldn't hurt, right?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #222 on: September 26, 2015, 04:17:55 AM »
At this point, I'm not taking suggestions for the V1.35n-D update; it's purely bugfixes-only (except maybe very minor and useful suggestions, if any are presented).

I've previously ruled out gravity changes, but then, this was mostly based on the difficulty to implement it. Since V2.00n is a rewrite from scratch, if there's a lot of interest in it I could reconsider this for that; but that's something I'll discuss when I get closer to implementing game physics. At the moment, I'm working on implementing loading / saving data files; currently graphic sets. (Yeah, I have been on that for a while; been fairly busy lately so it's slow, but I am making progress.)

Even in V2.00n, adding more skills is very unlikely. Many content creators still stick to the traditional 8, and when the new ones are used, there's still a lot of new tricks being discovered with them. I'm also not too sure how I feel about adding gravity change skills; that's both very backroute-prone and very open to ultra-finnicky solutions.
My Lemmings projects

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 23, 2015, 06:46:25 AM »
okay so i have two things to say about the "Turnaround on assign" gimmick
-Suggestion
Walkers should be the only skill not affected by the gimmick if its used on a walking lemming
If you are assigning a walker to a plain walker, he should turn around anyway, instead of just continuing to walk the same way he is walking

-Bug
You can very well Glitch a lemming into the wall by assigning a permanent skill while the lemming is climbing
hopeful the replay will load correctly when i attached the zip, i know the level will load