Author Topic: (Almost) All Lemmings game soundtracks in FLAC  (Read 6790 times)

Offline andoru

• View Profile
(Almost) All Lemmings game soundtracks in FLAC
« on: December 25, 2014, 02:46:24 PM »
Hey, so I've been waiting for you guys to completely transition to the new forums before I would post this message, glad to see you got these forums up and running :D

So, I wanted to let you guys know that I currently work (and have been doing so for the past 2 years) on a project in which I collect chiptunes from various old games. Sure, many people have done such things in the past, but what I try to do differently is that I try to collect music from all the ports of a game. Take for example the original Lemmings game, you have the Amiga, IBM-PC, Atari ST, SNES, etc. ports oof the game, and so I would record the complete soundtrack from all those games :D

So far these are all the games I worked on:

Lemmings (Original) - 3DO, Amiga, Archimedes, Atari ST C64 (emulated), C64 (real hardware), IBM-PC AdLib, Macintosh II, Master System, MegaDrive, NES, PC-98, PC-Engine, Sony PlayStation, SAM Coupé, SNES, X68000, ZX Spectrum

Oh No! More Lemmings - Amiga, Archimedes, IBM-PC AdLib, Atari ST, Macintosh II, Tandy

Holiday Lemmings - Amiga, IBM-PC AdLib, Macintosh II, Tandy

Lemmings 2: The Tribes - Amiga, Archimedes, FM-Towns, GameBoy, IBM-PC AdLib, MT-32; Mega Drive, SNES, Tandy

And recently added 3D Lemmings - IBM-PC CDDA/Sony PlayStation/Sega Saturn, GeneralMIDI, LAPC-1, SoundBlaster Pro2

Hope you enjoy these if you give those a listen, also a few more links I wanted to drop in case you're interested in the project :)
I've also added a lot more other games than Lemmings, so there might be other things of interest for you too!

Project Site
YouTube Channel
Reddit Community
Twitter account

Feel free to subscribe/follow/check any of the above!

Enjoy and Merry Christmas!

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
Re: (Almost) All Lemmings game soundtracks in FLAC
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 05:28:54 PM »
What a great project! (You might have seen from the old forum that I'm a fan of the Lemmings series' soundtracks, so naturally I love this. :thumbsup: )

It's really great to see that the Lemmings 2 Archimedes soundtrack has been recorded from real hardware, too. :thumbsup: I notice from your YouTube posting of it that only one Classic Tribe track is listed for it, though - I'm pretty sure that the Archimedes version is the only one that has (or at least contains) ten different tracks, one for each level, for them. Are these included in the download version?

Anyway, again, absolutely fantastic work, not just on the Lemmings series stuff, but on everything else I can see on your site, too. Don't forget to include Lemmings' initial soundtrack, which was found by Mindless, if you can, too!

Offline andoru

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 08:13:58 PM »
What a great project! (You might have seen from the old forum that I'm a fan of the Lemmings series' soundtracks, so naturally I love this. :thumbsup: )

Thanks! Glad you enjoy it :D

It's really great to see that the Lemmings 2 Archimedes soundtrack has been recorded from real hardware, too. :thumbsup: I notice from your YouTube posting of it that only one Classic Tribe track is listed for it, though - I'm pretty sure that the Archimedes version is the only one that has (or at least contains) ten different tracks, one for each level, for them. Are these included in the download version?

I did not knew of that. Unfortunately I haven't recorded the soundtrack myself, so I'll have to ask that person again to include the rest of the soundtracks :)

Anyway, again, absolutely fantastic work, not just on the Lemmings series stuff, but on everything else I can see on your site, too. Don't forget to include Lemmings' initial soundtrack, which was found by Mindless, if you can, too!

Thanks again! :D
Let me know what other games you enjoyed the soundtrack of :)

I'll try to record those as well sometime in the future, thanks for the great find! Do you know in which particular order they played or what levels they were associated with? Somewhat doubtful reading the threads, but it would be great if you knew :P

Also, can I be allowed to make an account on the old forums and post there as well? These forums don't seem that much active as the others

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 10:35:49 PM »
Thanks! Glad you enjoy it :D
I do, and I'll be spreading the word, for sure. :D

I did not knew of that. Unfortunately I haven't recorded the soundtrack myself, so I'll have to ask that person again to include the rest of the soundtracks :)
Yikes! Sorry to make extra work for you, there! :scared:

Thanks again! :D
Let me know what other games you enjoyed the soundtrack of :)
I think we might be here all year if I did that...

I'll try to record those as well sometime in the future, thanks for the great find! Do you know in which particular order they played or what levels they were associated with? Somewhat doubtful reading the threads, but it would be great if you knew :P
Mindless is responsible for the find, so all credit is his - I just liked it so much that I felt that it was worth writing about! ;)

As for where the tracks were used, I'm afraid I have no idea, and I don't think anyone else does, either. Mindless didn't mention finding any data pointing to where they might have been used, and I'm guessing that it wouldn't have been present anyway, as the tunes were found on a demo disk from late 1990. As far as I know, the only people who might remember (bearing in mind that this was around 24 years ago) are the former DMA Design staff who worked on the game, and possibly some of the Psygnosis staff who provided feedback on the puzzles.

Also, can I be allowed to make an account on the old forums and post there as well? These forums don't seem that much active as the others
I believe that registration on the old forums has been switched back on, but at this point it's looking like the final move over to here will be very soon (namida suggested New Year's Day for this in the thread over there about the move), so it may not be worthwhile.

Offline andoru

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 01:46:36 AM »
I do, and I'll be spreading the word, for sure. :D

Thanks for that, that would be awesome!  :thumbsup:

Yikes! Sorry to make extra work for you, there! :scared:

No, it's okay, I prefer to have complete soundtracks as much as possible, so thanks for letting me know. Just hope the "middleman" cooperates :P

I was talking about the games that I have already posted/uploaded, in case you misunderstood.

Mindless is responsible for the find, so all credit is his - I just liked it so much that I felt that it was worth writing about! ;)

Hehe. Well if you wouldn't have told me, I wouldn't have known of those, so there's that  ;P

As a weird coincidence, on Leisure Suit Larry 3, they also use the Peter Gunn theme (here named "Attack of the Feral Pig"), or perhaps it's just a variation of it, or a musical parody, but in any case it sounds very similar. Also "Gonna Fly Now" (the theme from Rocky, here named "Pulsating Pectorals")

Seems games developers during that period were either fearless or unaware of copyright infringement. Then again copyright laws were more lax back then. It's quite surprising as well that big companies (at the time) like Sierra would do such a thing (not that it's a bad thing)
Anyway, I'm rambling so don't pay any attention.

As for where the tracks were used, I'm afraid I have no idea, and I don't think anyone else does, either. Mindless didn't mention finding any data pointing to where they might have been used, and I'm guessing that it wouldn't have been present anyway, as the tunes were found on a demo disk from late 1990. As far as I know, the only people who might remember (bearing in mind that this was around 24 years ago) are the former DMA Design staff who worked on the game, and possibly some of the Psygnosis staff who provided feedback on the puzzles.

As I thought. Oh well, I'll just position them at random in the tracklist and name them after the tunes they immitate :)

I believe that registration on the old forums has been switched back on, but at this point it's looking like the final move over to here will be very soon (namida suggested New Year's Day for this in the thread over there about the move), so it may not be worthwhile.

I see. Hopefully everything goes well with that! :D
I'll just keep this thread in that case.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 09:53:15 PM »

I was talking about the games that I have already posted/uploaded, in case you misunderstood.
Oh! Hahaha, I did misunderstand. It goes without saying that I love all of the Lemmings stuff. ;) Those aside, Push-Over, Superfrog, Cannon Fodder, and The Incredible Machine are all favourites. Good work on being so thorough with every game you've covered. :thumbsup:

As a weird coincidence, on Leisure Suit Larry 3, they also use the Peter Gunn theme (here named "Attack of the Feral Pig"), or perhaps it's just a variation of it, or a musical parody, but in any case it sounds very similar.
It was also used in the arcade game, Spy Hunter, as well. For some reason, I'm more familiar with that game's arrangement than the original tune, even though I've never played the game...

Seems games developers during that period were either fearless or unaware of copyright infringement. Then again copyright laws were more lax back then. It's quite surprising as well that big companies (at the time) like Sierra would do such a thing (not that it's a bad thing)
Anyway, I'm rambling so don't pay any attention.
Copyright laws weren't really more lax then - it's more that, as so many people forget, copyright infringement was the norm in the early home video games industry. Entire companies were founded on creating and selling knock-offs of other people's games on home computers, after all!

Lemmings is unique in that it was created right around when those attitudes were changing, and companies began to pay more attention to the law. Lemmings' initial soundtrack even contains a tune that got another game (temporarily) pulled from the shops several years earlier, in fact, which is mildly puzzling until it's borne in mind that the game concerned (Jet Set Willy for the ZX Spectrum, the sequel to Manic Miner) is regarded as an all-time classic in the UK and may have influenced that dubious musical choice without the consequences coming up.

As I thought. Oh well, I'll just position them at random in the tracklist and name them after the tunes they immitate :)
That's the best bet, I reckon.

I see. Hopefully everything goes well with that! :D
I'll just keep this thread in that case.
I hope so too. I'm looking forward to the move being completed so that there aren't two iterations of the place to be keeping up with!

Offline andoru

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 09:24:02 PM »
Oh! Hahaha, I did misunderstand. It goes without saying that I love all of the Lemmings stuff. ;) Those aside, Push-Over, Superfrog, Cannon Fodder, and The Incredible Machine are all favourites. Good work on being so thorough with every game you've covered. :thumbsup:

Thanks, I really like collecting everything and making sure I haven't left anything out of a game. What's very exiting about this is when I notice a track that sounds particularly good on another port of the game, or when a different port of a game has one track different than the others, or where the tracks themselves don't sound at all like the other ports.

Great titles by the way!  :D
From that I notice you really like puzzle games.

I finally got around and finished the demo's soundtrack.

Now all I need to do is to try to talk to that guy for the Archimedes port of Lemmings 2

Offline Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 03:46:58 AM »
Now all I need to do is to try to talk to that guy for the Archimedes port of Lemmings 2
I don't think you need to do that. These 'Classic tribe' tunes are the same as in the Lemmings (Original). As you already have original tunes, there is nothing new you can get from the Lemmings 2.

Here is the link to the discussion about that:
http://www.lemmingsforums.com/index.php?topic=721.msg15748#msg15748

Link is for the old forum. I can't find copy of this topic here. Is it here or not?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 04:14:38 AM »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline andoru

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 06:40:09 PM »
Thanks for letting me know guys, I pulled an Archimedes emulator, and indeed that seems to be the case :)

And in news unrelated to Lemmings, I added the soundtracks of Monkey Island 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpBATX-WQlg&list=PLg1yjPKxAKFNFxbelq8-4eMnC0VVsELPG :D