Author Topic: Theming  (Read 8686 times)

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
Theming
« on: December 17, 2014, 03:24:31 PM »
I know that this may well be a bit early, or even unnecessary if we don't move to here in the end (though I'm pretty sure we're transitioning properly, now, right?), but I was just wondering, when the forum theme is sorted out here, can we have artwork that's a bit more iconic of the Lemmings series, rather than the weird birdman-looking Sony-era lemmings? ;)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Theming
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 12:02:46 AM »
If someone is prepared to make it, then definitely. If not, then I might be able to do something at some point, but it's not the highest priority - first is getting the old site preserved in some form or other. Ideally as actual forum posts on here, which may be more possible than I initially thought. I'm going to do a test run sometime in the very near future (just backing up a few posts and trying to add them as posts on here).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 12:41:44 AM »
If someone is prepared to make it, then definitely.
I've got some Christmas sewing to wrap up right now, but I'd love to give it a shot when I have a little time free (which should be in a few days' time), if that's ok with everyone.

What images are we in need of for this forum software?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 04:22:48 AM »
The logo at the top of the page is the most important. Right now it's just the old one with the lemmings removed and "Forums" centered. We can worry about the rest later.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 01:29:36 AM »
Right, I've had a shot at this, but I couldn't stop at just one! So, here's a whole selection for you guys to choose from. They were great fun to make. :thumbsup:

Here are the various styles that I came up with;

Amiga Intro

Lemmings 2 Art

Lemmings 2 Group

Lemmings 2 Intro

Lemmings 3D

Lemmings Star Trek (A)

Lemmings Star Trek (B)

Various Sprites

The weakest one is probably the Lemmings 3D one, as it doesn't fill very much of the available space, but I've included it anyway, just in case anyone likes it. ;)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 03:20:35 AM »
I quite like the Lemmings 3D one. I wonder if I can make a script to randomly rotate between them, since I don't want to waste the effort you put into the unused ones...

EDIT: Done. I added all of them except the first Star Trek one, since the second one is pretty much the same but with an extra lemming.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 03:27:33 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 01:44:10 PM »
Oh wow, it's made my day logging on and seeing the logos in rotation here! Thanks very much for that. :thumbsup:

As for the Star Trek one, I made two in case anyone preferred the one with two lemmings, as I'm sure the asymmetrical look of the version with one lemming (admittedly, my personal favourite of the two) would've driven some people nuts, haha. :D

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 04:29:15 PM »
I'm willing to do the "stars" under the names.

Tell me if they should be lemmings(just standing walkers, or possibly something else), or if they should be stars like the last forums(we could also just use the old stars if you want to).

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 05:16:58 PM »
Can we fix a few of the emoticons?  (There are some others that would need tweaking to match the ^_^ one.)

« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 05:35:16 PM by Mindless »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2014, 08:43:11 AM »
exit: Feel free to come up with whatever you like, but keep it not too much larger than the current image. Also keep in mind - we can have different images for different levels, it doesn't have to just be an increase in number.

Mindless: Yep, these can be added. When we have a full set, let me know and I'll pop them in. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 04:19:55 PM »
Here's what I've done:

-A standard lemming frozen in the walking position in 20x20, which was the minimum size(I already resized these to be closest to the 15x15 current stars, which means that the actual minimum size would be 10x10, but I felt that that would've been to small).
-A Christmas lemming frozen in the same walking position. I made it in 18x18 and 20x20.
-The four Fun through Mayhem rankplate(edited to fit the size of five "stars").
-A superlemming rankplate, which has a walking lemming going across the blank rankplate.
-The four Fun through Mayhem rankplates with red lettering.

My suggestions would be:
If you decide to use the lemmings like the stars, use the standard lemmings and Christmas lemmings for the non-staff and staff members respectively.
If you decide to use the nameplates, use the standard ones for their respective ranks and the red ones for staff members(this would keep the ranks for them instead of all of them being five star). I didn't make a superlemming staff member rankplate though, so my idea is to just keep staff members up to the mayhem tag.

These are simply my suggestions, you can do whatever you would like with these.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 12:56:09 AM »
Thanks! :) I will look at these later today and decide which ones to use (or perhaps put it to a vote by the users, in the case that both look roughly equally suitable).
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2014, 01:45:55 AM »
Okay; for now I've put the standard lemming (1 to 5 of them depending on rank) for normal users, and the christmas lemming for staff (3 for board-specific moderators, which I presume will only show up on their boards; 4 for global moderators, and 5 for admins). There doesn't seem to be any method for making staff still use the normal rankings, hence the fixed amounts for staff of various levels.
My Lemmings projects

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 07:04:08 PM »
Alright, this is my first time posting on the new forum. So far I'm very happy with the interface.

Can we fix a few of the emoticons?

I agree. I like most of the current emoticons (although I'm not sure why the shocked emoticon is blue  :scared:) A rolling-eyes emoticon would be useful, I think. Several months ago on IRC there was some talk about implementing the clam emoticon 8() but maybe that's best left as text. Simon also has a nice Lix emoticon ( "somewhat cute programmer artwork"), but then again that's not really related to official Lemmings.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2014, 08:56:11 PM »
Simon also has a nice Lix emoticon ( "somewhat cute programmer artwork"), but then again that's not really related to official Lemmings.
But it's important within our community, and given the current state of the games market, it's a realistic statement to say that fan-games are the most likely way that this genre will continue. I say +1 for the Lix emote. :thumbsup:

I'd like a shrugging lemming one, too, to be honest. I might see if I can come up with one, when I have a free moment, if nobody minds and everyone thinks it'd be a worthwhile addition.

I also want to make one more logo, since we now have a rotation going on, if that's alright with namida and everyone else.