Author Topic: NOTE: Spam from 50+ New Forum Members.  (Read 6435 times)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
NOTE: Spam from 50+ New Forum Members.
« on: December 14, 2014, 11:43:30 PM »
Just a heads-up to everyone.

There's been too much spam on the forums. Also, if you haven't noticed yet, check the Members list and click "Date Registered." You'll see that there are more than 50 new users who have signed on to the forum on the same day.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: NOTE: Spam from 50+ New Forum Members.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 12:59:55 AM »
I already PM'd all the mods and admins about this. :)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 06:30:59 AM »
There was a suspicious post a day ago with a link to the forum homepage. Not sure if it's related (like a gateway for the spambots?) but I removed it anyway.

Thanks geoo for removing a bunch of the threads while I was offline.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 10:02:00 AM »
I've had the same problem on another forum that I moderate.  50+ new members spamming the forum relentlessly.  Sounds like quite a vicious spam-bot that's going places.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 11:36:50 AM »
Yeah, we really need someone active to have all the privileges for the server the forum is hosted on (either as this forum or a new migration, but if we migrate we should get a database dump, I believe Ksoft has access to database dumps).

For now bookmark this forum namida set up as a place to go to in case the forum goes down: http://lemforums.nfshost.com/

I don't think Clam or I have the privileges to batch-ban/delete users or do anything else that would stop this issue.

Here's a list of the bots from 1 hours ago, more have already signed up in the meantime:
Charlespl, AyaDAmart, Honey, wholesaledl, centipsylonz, mJacobsenMl, Michaelsmag, DIfertymhat, Lapactagree, Adrianhor, ProtivnaYaLamn, deanbffe0d, Lerkasr, CharlesappoffIntoto, Varyornania, Scacroparry, LilyRaeGo, mouffscotadaf, Korovenko, Williamkt, Alberticen, Williamcef, CharlesTup, RandellOt, AlmoTiC, Charlesrib, VikariaExede, musliWew, dalpglafWoppy, AnisvonsNug, Ericasok, DarinaDoronov, Ronaldst, boobiafub, Cedaspedy, attighavoig, Meallygax, Patrickhoth, Michaelpr, SibirAvipn, DarrylSnah, CCase, RichardKl, JulianaVax, pletcheruoh, nafimmary, Williamer, krohaMt, Miscaalenzemy, SeriyBiz, Monumentov, kitBriege, FrancesBop, KennethEa, AlisaPl, Williamgaip, JohnMifs, Robertuploagdog, AxseoxTig, Leonardmt, valera_uslovm, GellBeert, Antoniowex, IrinkaBond, Matthewpn, YaDopn, freewary, SemenBeni, DaryaNet, IvanKak, Komuremnko, Robertcob, UnlimPayKa, tilmAcittee, Аachiererild, Mashapi, Kennethzjix, Robertosed, Carolynfah, ArnoldHets, KimSt, vuretokafer44, DrimsinSr, #Antolian[SDFSGDH], Uenfoppy, WalterHaw, RollandEl, BilliePild, Timothypn, AnnSqualo, ADrulkibrituer, Poropunenko, Dhzblalben, Kennethei, PatishkaVaga, AnthonyTab, Dowjnfhasz, Dennisusex, dinolexi, Bladerbist, cowboyskf, PatriceleS, KiOnelonbon

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 11:44:24 AM »
I've set up a new forum we can use, and we all know I'm very active :p But I'll leave it to the community to decide if migrating is a good idea. Both moderators have details of the new forum.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 12:22:45 PM »
Yikes, the spammers' activity really escalated overnight!

I've grabbed my username on the alternate forum (good idea setting that up, namida!), but I'll wait to see what everyone decides is the best course of action here, before using it too much. :P

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 12:53:52 PM »
It would be a shame to be forced to migrate because of a spambot.  What's to say the new forum won't get infested too?  I just hope we can stay on top of it.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 02:55:34 PM »
The problem is, nobody who is active has the privileges to efficiently deal with the spam bots. We only have active mods, the admins and the server admin have been AWOL for a long time. Over at the new forum we could deal with these issues.
I think it's a good precaution measure to have a place to go to in case the forum goes out (but I don't think we should move there just yet, let's try to get the databases or some other data from the admins). I've contacted Mr. K, I should probably shoot Adam a message too...

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 02:56:40 PM »
Keep us posted, please, geoo.

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 05:02:20 PM »
The spam problem is the result of my being unable to get the forum software updated (no FTP permissions to alter files appropriately) -- so we're horribly out of date which means there are lots of exploits the bots can use.

From here on out I'm going to work with you guys to transition.  Obviously, I'm not around enough to do this any more -- I started adminning this board to keep it from going under, and that was back in high school.  Now I'm older, working on a degree and working a job at the same time and I barely have any time on my hands, so this gets a backseat priority from me.  That's unlikely to change, and Adam tends not to be around either, so I think it's best if I pass the place on to new owners.  I've been damn negligent, and as the server starts breaking here and there it's just going to get worse unless someone else takes over.

EDIT: I've contacted you, Geoo.  Also I have disabled registrations for now and am deleting ALL members with zero posts.  Should stave off the problem until we can move forward.

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 08:18:05 PM »
Thanks to everyone for taking action on this matter. I've also moved to the new forums, but I'll probably change my username at some point.

The News section on the main page, which has been saying the same stuff over and over, should be updated to announce the new forum.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 09:04:43 PM »
The spamming isn't limited to just here.  The forum I moderate has been recently updated, and that got badly infested too.  I've cleaned most of it up, but I can only delete posts etc.  I can't do IP bans, for example.  Personally I just hope they stop it at the source.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 09:47:20 PM »
What version of SMF does your forum use, Crane?
My Lemmings projects

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 10:06:17 PM »
I just read some advice agains spam bots here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/485106/how-do-i-protect-my-forum-against-spam.
Especially the following advice sounds pretty useful (but already for registration and not only for posting here):
Have a hidden form field with a name that sounds like something a spammer would want to fill out, like "website" or "homepage" or something like that. If the form field gets filled out, throw away the message instead of posting it, because it was a bot automatically filling in the whole form, even invisible fields.