Author Topic: Lemmings Tribe  (Read 3026 times)

FrankieG

Lemmings Tribe
« on: August 08, 2014, 12:11:58 AM »
HI I am a new member. I have travelled for 4 years and gave away my PC.
I need a mental challenge and Lemmings Tribe gave me that.
I only have a laptop and the CD of Lemmings Tribe.
I do not have DOS.
How can I load the CD and get started playing again. OR how can I buy a CD or download a laptop playable Lemmings game.
Cheers

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: Lemmings Tribe
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 12:50:30 AM »
Tribes is an excellent choice. :-)

To run DOS games, take a look at the emulator Dosbox.

Look around their homepage or search the web on how to run games with the Dosbox command prompt. Some people don't like to run the games from the prompt, and prefer a graphical frontend from the Dosbox download page above.

You might also be interested in Mindless's Lemmings Archive.

-- Simon

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 01:47:50 AM »
If you use DOSBox emulator (or possibly even just real DOS, as it might be due to the modern hardware configuration of your PC) to play the copy of Lemmings 2 you have on your CD, you might run into an issue where the game would mostly run okay, but doesn't let you load or save your progress (ie. the "Load" and "Save" buttons on the main screen don't work at all).  There's a fix for that which I attached here.  You save the file and put it in the same folder where the game's EXE file (L2.exe) is located on your computer, and in DOSBox you run this L2-FIX program instead of L2 itself.

This fix comes from abandonia.com's version of Lemmings 2.  I was going to direct you to that site so you can download from there instead of the attachment here, although I decided not to as that site has a bit too many ads that try to resemble download links to bait you into downloading their crap instead.  (The abandonia.com site itself is fine other than those ads, and these sorts of ads are sadly not uncommon amongst websites that are ad-supported.)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 03:01:00 AM »
A commonly overlooked but important detail (only applies to real DOS, doesn't matter for DosBox): It won't work on a FAT32 partition, it must be FAT16.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 08:47:12 AM »
Hi FrankieG

Welcome to the forum, I agree that's a really good choice probably one of my favorite games of all time lemmings tribes even though it is very close between this and the original lemmings.

A quick way to get round entering the commands on dos box is to drag the program you want to run onto the dos box logo that usually works for me when I'm trying old games saves you actually entering commands and things like that, all gets annoying when trying to understand how dos commands work.

Hope that helps.  :thumbsup: