Author Topic: Lix Community Level Set - First complete Beta!  (Read 46971 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: Lix Community Level Set - First complete Beta!
« Reply #105 on: February 03, 2016, 08:27:55 PM »
Quirky 36 (Exit, stage right) has a simpler form of one-way enforcement using steel that's easier to grasp, and the full gadget is present soon after in Cunning 7 (Lix Cannon). I think these levels are deep enough in and simple enough that the gadget doesn't need a prior tutorial level.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 29, 2016, 10:02:18 PM »
For a while now I've been thinking what to replace Laser Deathroom 2 with as it doesn't work anymore with the new digger physics.
Ramond's Mile High Club is supposedly a bit too borderline glitchy according to Simon, though Ramond allegedly also has another level that could serve as a replacement (maybe you could post it here?).

Here's an adaptation of Laser Deathroom 2 that's solvable again and somewhat in the spirit of the original levels. What do you think about it? Maybe we can just use it for now so I can get the final version of the pack for C++ Lix out, and things could still be shuffled around a little bit for the D port.

Offline Ramon

• View Profile
    • JRK Studios
« Reply #107 on: February 29, 2016, 11:59:23 PM »
I am planning on revising Mile High Club for the new D Lix, in a way that Simon will be content with it. I don't think any of my other levels is fit to go into the Community Pack, as they're just either too trolly or too specific/intense execution-wise.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 01, 2016, 05:58:33 PM »
Regarding the new Laser Deathroom 2: The idea is kind of nice, but it requires too much fiddling around/precise skill assignments/luck in the current setup.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The attached replay is made using C++ Lix.

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #109 on: March 01, 2016, 06:45:17 PM »
My solution to Laser Deathroom 2 is less fiddly than Nepster's. Yet I see how the level attracts fiddliness.

Ramond loves Mile High Club. I have seen the solution and consider it more interesting than Laser Deathroom 2. The trick to Mile High Club is exciting, and will certainly stay in C++ Lix. It's the same in D Lix, but I'm unwilling to guarantee whether it stay in forever.

<Ramond> yes, are you planning to [change related physics?]
<SimonN> No. But I don't want to give a final word on this.
<Ramond> who will? the userbase?
<SimonN> nobody will give you powerful guarantees on this. If you want stable physics for the next 10 years, build against nuke-glitch-Lemmix.
* Ramond has left

Stop reacting like an offended teen girl :> I don't want to make the decision. Has anyone solved the level? Would like strategic input on the trick.

-- Simon

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 20, 2016, 09:28:58 AM »
Here's my proposed modification to The Mile High Club to prevent a simple solution to the first half. Even if physics changes occur the level can be slightly modified to still work.

My solution to the modified Laser Deathroom is a bit different and less fiddly and I could prevent yours with a terrain change, but I think I'll just leave the level out and have Mile High Club instead.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 21, 2016, 06:31:03 PM »
Version of The Continuum Hypothesis that should work without VSI.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 27, 2016, 04:59:41 PM »
Diamond Dash: added a steel block in the middle to help familiarise new players with steel.

Ascending and Descending: added sawblade to block Clam's backroute.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 14, 2016, 08:56:34 PM »
I made the last proposed changes. All levels have been verified to be solvable.

Though I was wondering, what about "Won't get fooled again"? Is there still a backroute that needs fixing?
Other than that, I'm thinking of adding all the hints that we have so far to the levels, what do you think?

Finally, please check the latest version and complain about anything that you don't like: https://github.com/geoo89/lixlfpack/zipball/gh-pages

You can see the changes from the commit log, click on the commits for more details: https://github.com/geoo89/lixlfpack/commits/gh-pages

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 14, 2016, 09:37:02 PM »
I don't remember if I said this before but in case I didn't:
I really like having hints available for my levels, unfortunately I suck at writing them. I guess it's a little late now but if anyone wants to add a hint to any of my levels feel free to do so.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 14, 2016, 11:49:17 PM »
As promised, I've compiled a list of all the references (that I've spotted!) in the level names. Let me know if there are any more

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2016, 11:42:27 PM »
Though I was wondering, what about "Won't get fooled again"? Is there still a backroute that needs fixing?

It's been a while but off top of my head, I'd tentatively say there isn't anything to fix anymore?  The only thing that came to mind is it currently allows both your solution as well as my intended one.  The main concern now is whether to account right now for possible future removal of variable SI.  My intended solution never requires variable SI but yours does.  I'm probably not going to take the effort myself to try getting your solution to work without variable SI, but feel free to do so yourself if you want.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 17, 2016, 07:30:18 AM »
I was referring to Nepster's post with a replay of a backroute: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=1815.msg54510#msg54510
And your responses in post #99 and #100 which made it sounds like you were intent to fix it.
I haven't tried the level since, but I could also imagine that the instant bomber might allow for some things to work that didn't previously, as I remember the delay in the bomber made some things harder for me when I was getting my solution to work. I just tried again and attached it my solution, we doesn't feel as annoying to pull off as it used to.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 07:45:03 AM by geoo »

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 17, 2016, 05:42:13 PM »
I just checked my todo list (and read the chat logs), and I'll swap the following two pairs of levels (with the version from the outtakes folder, respectively) unless someone says otherwise:
  • I will Replace Three Days of the Condor with Lixes in Motion.
  • I will put Eye of the Needle back instead of Absolute Zero. (Some other levels already use the Abs. Zero trick, and while I had a lot of trouble with the level, I think the consensus is that Eye of the Needle is harder.)

Some other things that I could change if someone cares (tell me if you do), but otherwise won't:
  • I think at some point it's been suggested to change the builder to a basher in 'Climb to Freedom'.
  • The last laugh: Has a variety of interesting solutions. I could cut one basher to enforce Akseli's variation and to make it more appropriate for its ranking.
  • Comment by Akseli: Follow the Yellow Brick Road – This was easier than Charge of the Lix Brigade imo. -- Should I do something about this, e.g. swap the two levels?

And I will add the hints that I have, and any that are sent to me within the next few days.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 06:06:00 PM by geoo »

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2016, 11:34:08 PM »
I just checked my todo list (and read the chat logs), and I'll swap the following two pairs of levels (with the version from the outtakes folder, respectively) unless someone says otherwise:
  • I will Replace Three Days of the Condor with Lixes in Motion.
  • I will put Eye of the Needle back instead of Absolute Zero. (Some other levels already use the Abs. Zero trick, and while I had a lot of trouble with the level, I think the consensus is that Eye of the Needle is harder.)

Some other things that I could change if someone cares (tell me if you do), but otherwise won't:
  • I think at some point it's been suggested to change the builder to a basher in 'Climb to Freedom'.
  • The last laugh: Has a variety of interesting solutions. I could cut one basher to enforce Akseli's variation and to make it more appropriate for its ranking.
  • Comment by Akseli: Follow the Yellow Brick Road – This was easier than Charge of the Lix Brigade imo. -- Should I do something about this, e.g. swap the two levels?

And I will add the hints that I have, and any that are sent to me within the next few days.

Unless there's plenty of easy levels (I seem to remember there being more hard than easy) I'd vote to keep the Last Laugh easier by allowing more solutions and maybe move it if it's really out of place.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain