Author Topic: [deprecated] CustLemmix and FlexiLemmix (Latest version: V27)  (Read 33542 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Edit 2016-11: CustLemmix and FlexiLemmix are deprecated. Use the NeoLemmix editor and player. See also NL forum.

Welcome to CustLemmix!

So, you want to play a custom level pack, right? Or maybe test your own? Problem is; the Lemmix Editor can be a pain to set up. The playtest mode also has a couple of inaccuracies in comparison to the original game. It's also missing some of the fine-control features in newer versions of Lemmix players. Perhaps you remember CustLemm and liked the way it worked, but want Lemmix-style fine control, or just don't want to deal with DosBox?

Well, CustLemmix is the answer you've been looking for! CustLemmix is a Lemmix Player that replicates the old CustLemm, letting you simply drop in a level pack (and any nessecary custom style / VGASPEC files) and play it, with all the functionality of ccexplore's updated version of the Lemmix player!

Using it is simple - you just put the level pack file in the same folder, and run the player! By default, it looks for a file named LEVELPAK.DAT just like the original CustLemm did - but you can change this! Simply edit the INI file (which is created after the first time you run the game) and specify a different filename - or in the latest versions (V27+), you can just choose it from the Configuration screen (press F4 from the main menu to access it). This makes switching between packs easy - no need to mess with filenames, just change the INI! One other difference is that you do not need to provide a copy of the graphic sets, as long as they use the standard CustLemmix numbering scheme. However, you can provide them, if you want to use a different numbering scheme, or custom styles, etc - you just don't have to if you're using the standard ones.

As you probably know, CustLemm's mechanics differ slightly from that of Original or OhNo; so what if you want to play a pack that's designed for Orig or OhNo mechanics? Well, it's now even simpler - you can change a Mechanics setting in the INI file to choose between the three sets! (There is also a seperate NeoLemmix-based version; check the NeoLemmix topic to get that one.)

So, that explains CustLemmix. How about FlexiLemmix? Well, CustLemmix is good for playing small level packs, but what happens if you want to make a larger project with multiple ranks, rather than just a small pack of 10 levels? That's where FlexiLemmix comes in! You can use FlexiLemmix to make larger packs of your own - you can specify how many ranks (up to a maximum of 5), how many levels in each rank, and so on! You can either distribute the resulting LEVELxxx.DAT and MAIN.DAT files to be used with the Flexi players; or you can use the Flexi Toolkit to build your own customized player with everything in a single EXE file, just like the official Lemmix players - no programming knowledge required! FlexiLemmix is based off the same core code as CustLemmix, but differs in that it offers much more flexibility as to the construction of your pack.

While CustLemmix and FlexiLemmix are based off the standard Lemmix code, rather than NeoLemmix (although NeoLemmix versions of both do exist), support has been added for a limited number of NeoLemmix features that do not affect gameplay, mostly purely graphical in nature, though some are conveniences for level designers. These features are:
* Support for graphic sets with 32-color palettes
* Support for graphic sets and VGASPECs with RGB-based instead of palette-based images
* Specifying which music track a specific level will have, instead of picking randomly (CustLemmix) / sequentially (FlexiLemmix)
* NeoLemmix-style oddtabling; this means that you can create a level that loads its layout from a different level, to create multiple levels with the same design but different stats and skillsets

Downloads
CustLemmix downloads are here.
Flexi Lemmix downloads are here.
Some useful tools (especially when working with the Flexi version) can be found here. (LemSet and LemMain)*
Source code can be found here.

For reference, a list of the graphic sets / VGASPECs that CustLemmix and FlexiLemmix contain internally:
* VGAGR0: Dirt (Orig)
* VGAGR1: Fire (Orig)
* VGAGR2: Marble (Orig)
* VGAGR3: Pillar (Orig)
* VGAGR4: Crystal (Orig)
* VGAGR5: Brick (OhNo)
* VGAGR6: Rock (OhNo)
* VGAGR7: Snow (OhNo) ** One-way arrows are recolored to make them more visible **
* VGAGR8: Bubble (OhNo) ** Extended to add steel terrain **
* VGAGR9: Xmas (Xmas/Holiday) ** Extended to add three extra objects (copied from the Snow style) **
* VGAGR10: Tree (LPII)
* VGAGR11: Purple (LPII)
* VGAGR12: Psychedelic (LPII)
* VGAGR13: Metal (LPII)
* VGAGR14: Desert (LPII)
* VGAGR19: Sega (Orig Master System Version)
* VGAGR20: Dirt (Orig Genesis Version)
* VGAGR21: Fire (Orig Genesis Version)
* VGAGR22: Marble (Orig Genesis Version)
* VGAGR23: Pillar (Orig Genesis Version)
* VGAGR24: Crystal (Orig Genesis Version)
* VGASPEC0: "What An AWESOME Level!" (Orig)
* VGASPEC1: "Menacing!" (Orig)
* VGASPEC2: "A BeastII Of A Level" (Orig)
* VGASPEC3: "A Beast Of A Level" (Orig)
* VGASPEC4: "The Covox Level" (Covox)
* VGASPEC5: "The Prima Publishing Level" (Prima)
* VGASPEC6: "The Duck Level" (LPIII)
* VGASPEC7: "The Nyancat Level" (LPIII)
* VGASPEC8: "The Rickroll Level" (LPIII)
* VGASPEC9: "The Troll Level" (LPIII)
* VGASPEC10: "What An AWESOME Level!" (Orig Genesis version)
* VGASPEC11: "Menacing!" (Orig Genesis version)
* VGASPEC12: "A Beast Of A Level" (Orig Genesis version)
* VGASPEC13: "A BeastII Of A Level" (Orig Genesis version)
* VGASPEC14: "Sunsoft Special" (Orig Genesis version)
* VGASPEC15: "The Apple Computer Level" (Mac version demo)
* VGASPEC16: "Gotcha Again! :P" (LPIII Bonus Pack)
* VGASPEC17: "The Lemmings Forums Level" (LPIII Bonus Pack)
* VGASPEC18: "Trivia Time!" (LPIII Bonus Pack)

The Lemmings Plus III graphic sets are not included (only the VGASPECs are) as they are not compatible with traditional Lemmix. They are included in the NeoLemmix version.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 01:49:08 PM by Simon »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: CustLemmix
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 03:14:00 AM »
Updated. The main CustLemmix player now uses CustLemm mechanics, not OhNo mechanics (though the differences are very minor; but it does mean CustLemmix is now compatible with replays from Customized Lemmings mode in the Lemmix player).

I've also added a second download link; this link contains versions for all three sets of mechanics (Orig, OhNo and Cust).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 04:42:34 PM »
Updated. New update adds support for 32-color pallete graphic sets (in the same format that my updated Lemmix uses). It still supports the old 16-color ones perfectly, of course!
My Lemmings projects

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 07:15:51 PM »
Mindless uploaded fixed versions of tune1.mod and jb.mod to his site (here), so I suggest updating your Lemmix players to use those versions.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 08:53:37 PM »
Do you mean tim1 or the first tune (ie: Lemmin1P, or maybe CanCanP)?
My Lemmings projects

Offline Tsyu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 09:08:11 PM »
I mean the first one from ONML. (And jb.mod is from Holiday Lemmings, in case you're wondering.)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 08:57:49 AM »
Okay, as per that suggestion I've updated CustLemmix. The links are the same, and all three versions (Orig, OhNo and Cust) have been updated. Uploading a fixed version of the H94 player now.

Also, a NeoLemmix version is now available. As with all currently-avialable versions of NeoLemmix, it should be considered a *beta*. (However, it is slightly newer than the engine used in the LPDOS beta.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 04:34:25 PM »
All versions updated.

All versions
  • Added VGASPEC4.DAT (The COVOX Level) and VGASPEC5.DAT (The Prima Publishing Level) to the internal data.
NeoLemmix version
  • Upgraded to NeoLemmix engine V1.02n.

Also wrote a better readme file as per Nepster's suggestion; if there's anything else you think I should add to it let me know. (I didn't cover standard Lemmix player features, apart from specifically pointing out how to use LookForLVLFiles.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 12:40:19 PM »
All versions updated.

All versions
  • Replays are now saved as [level title].lrb, instead of [rank]_[level number].lrb. For example, if you put Just Dig! as the first level and saved a replay, it would save as "Just Dig!.lrb", not "Step1_01.lrb" now. (Just to be clear, there is NO change to the replay format or anything itself; the ONLY change is what filename it saves it as.)

NeoLemmix version
  • Upgraded to NeoLemmix engine V1.04n, see NeoLemmix topic for more info.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 06:41:33 PM »
All versions updated

All versions
  • Instead of renaming files, you can now change (in the INI file) what level pack CustLemmix loads from.
NeoLemmix version
  • Updated to NeoLemmix V1.05n
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 02:05:41 PM »
NeoLemmix version updated
  • Updated to NeoLemmix V1.06n
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 08:44:41 PM »
  • Updated to NeoLemmix V1.07n
  • Now includes the Sky and Circuit styles from LPIII
It's been brought to my attention, also, that the wrong style bug is still there (albeit rarer now, it would seem). Specifically, this bug causes that sometimes after watching a replay then trying to play a level that uses an external style file (or, presumably, an external VGASPEC file), CustLemmix will ignore the external style files and try to use its internal ones for the level instead, which may either crash or just look really weird depending on the level. I've had no luck so far working out exactly what triggers this, but if it happens to you, could you let me know exactly what triggered it? (ie: what level you were playing, whether you were using a LVL or a DAT, what styles were involved, etc)

Ages ago when I noticed this problem, it happened on traditional CustLemmix, I thought it had been fixed but someone else reported it happened to them in a recent version, this time on NeoCustLemmix. So most likely, the bug exists in both (though it is possible I've managed to fix it somehow in traditional but it still exists in Neo). I can say for sure that if it exists in any version of traditional, it'll exist in all three, because the only differences between them are which mechanics switches are set (whereas Neo is compiled off a completely different set of source code (same one as all the other NeoLemmix players though, just with different options set), though most of the code relating to loading external files is identical to that of traditional).

(EDIT: I just had a thought about why this might be happening! I'll look into it shortly...)

EDIT: My thought was spot on! For NeoCustLemmix I already fixed it and the fix will be included in V1.08n; for the traditional versions I'll get onto fixing it now (and those ones I'll release right away), along with fixing the caps lock bug.

And just for the record, the LPIII styles aren't going to be added to the traditional versions (you can always just use them externally if you want, but I don't want to make it look like they're officially supported in them). They're not designed to work with traditional mechanics; they make heavy use of pixel-perfect trigger areas, and some also have oddly-shaped steel (Sky style especially). And of course, all the new object types...
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 04:12:35 AM »
Traditional versions updated
  • No longer ignores external files if a replay has been watched.
  • Shortcut keys now work when Caps Lock is enabled.

No update for the NeoLemmix version yet (it'll come when I release v1.08n), but in the meantime, a workaround is to also put a copy of the style files (or VGASPEC files) in the Replay folder as well as the main one.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 12:37:16 AM »
  • Updated to NeoLemmix v1.08n
  • External files bug is fixed
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2014, 02:08:11 PM »
Traditional versions updated
  • Now includes the Sega graphics set (number #19)

Will be added to NeoCustLemmix in the V1.09n update.
My Lemmings projects