Author Topic: custom graphics for Lemmini  (Read 3790 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
custom graphics for Lemmini
« on: March 01, 2014, 01:10:17 AM »
If it doesn't already exist, a detailed explanation on how to add custom graphics into Lemmini like the castle set Pieuw has in his set, would be nice. I mean how to make levels and such. I know how to play custom sets, like Pieuw's.

since minimac posted this:
http://www.lemmingsforums.com/index.php?topic=911.msg18787#msg18787
I'd like to add this to Lemmini and the Lemmix editor if that's possible (and relatively easy). Can anyone explain how? Or point to instructions?
I'm not interested in having it work in the Lemmix player, tho that would certainty be a bonus but I understand that's more difficult.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: custom graphics for Lemmini
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 04:53:39 AM »
To add them to Lemmini, it should just be a matter of creating a new folder for them, and dropping the graphics in, following the filename structure used by existing styles.

Keep in mind that the trigger area works a bit different from DOS. In DOS, it's the lemming's coordinate (one pixel below his feet) that must be within the trigger area. In Lemmini, the entire lemming must be within the trigger area.

I have no idea about how to get them into the Lemmix editor, sorry. However, jLevelBuilder natively uses Lemmini styles, so you should be able to use that to make the levels.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 03:08:15 PM »
OK, here is a tutorial to create new tilesets since I have been doing this a lot recently.  ;)

1) Create a new folder in the STYLES folder for lemmini. Name it whatever you want the tileset to be called.

2) Copy and paste the .ini file and the object &  object mask images from another pre-made set such as marble. Change all of there names so the pre-made set name is replaced with the new set name. (e.g. marble.ini become [name of new style].ini)

3) Create the terrain images. Make sure to save  them as .gif files, and for them to have a black background (NOT transparent). Make sure you don't use pure black in your terrain. They should be named in this format
[style name]_[number].gif (Just look at another style to see what I mean) Start with _0 not _1.

4) Edit the .ini file in these areas: Change the debrisColor and particleColor to hex colour codes that match with your tileset.  Also set it so the tiles = value is equal to the number of terrain peices in your new set. You can also set the bgColor to anything if you want  rather than dark blue.

5) Now for the weird bit. You need to open the terrain files in a software called IRFANVIEW which can be downloaded for free from the internet. Then you need to resave them as a .gif but with these options (you can access them by clicking the options button at the bottom of the save window) DON'T do this for terrain peices with no transparent space, such as steel peices!

If there is other software that can save gifs like that you can use that

6) Now you need to edit LemmixStyles.ini which should be located in the same folder as lemmix. Scroll down until you reach the text with names such as [Lemmini_1]. Just copy and paste the last one of these to underneath it and change it so it looks like this:
Code: [Select]
[Lemmini_1]
GraphicSetClass=TLemminiGraphicSet
BrickColor=0
GraphicSetArchive=
GraphicSetId=[One more than the last lemmini style's]
GraphicSetIdExt=0
GraphicSetName=[Tileset name]
GraphicSetPath=Styles\[Tileset name]\ 
I think you need  to have  the lemmini styles folder in the same  one as your lemmix folder as well as in the lemmini source files for this to work.

If you follow those steps you  should get a tileset, though the objects will not have changed. Editing objects is quite difficult, but the size of each frame is calculated as Image height divded by number of frames. You may be able to  work out the rest from there.

Attached is the bubble tileset with those steel peices in as well, just replace the bubble folder with it:

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 07:35:40 PM »
 :thumbsup:

one small thing to note: I had to change the line in bubble.ini of the folder to "tiles = 67"
Keep in mind that the trigger area works a bit different from DOS. In DOS, it's the lemming's coordinate (one pixel below his feet) that must be within the trigger area. In Lemmini, the entire lemming must be within the trigger area.

I could be wrong but I think it's even more lenient than that. With most traps, the lemming can be partly in the area and get hit., possibly with the exit too but I'm not sure. It's harder to tell because Lemmix doesn't have the trigger areas showing when editing a Lemmini level.  I think jLevelBuilder has this?
I've been meaning to use this again and forgot about it when my computer crashed.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 02:37:13 AM »
With DOS, it's definitely that one pixel below the lemming's foot. The game doesn't check anywhere else, at least for traps/exits/etc (it does have checks in other places for, for example, steel / one way checks).

With Lemmini, I'm not 100% sure if it works as I described it, that's just how it seems to be.

By the way, I'm fairly sure what Gronkling said is more complicated than it needs to be. Just make sure the GIF file itself actually has the transparent area transparent, not just set to an unused color.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 12:35:16 PM »
By the way, I'm fairly sure what Gronkling said is more complicated than it needs to be. Just make sure the GIF file itself actually has the transparent area transparent, not just set to an unused color.

If you do that, in lemmix the transparent area  will be opaque black and make level creation very hard.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 04:12:28 AM »
I see. Does Lemmini itself and/or jLevelBuilder have any problems with it?
My Lemmings projects

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 04:02:01 PM »
I see. Does Lemmini itself and/or jLevelBuilder have any problems with it?

No lemmini is fine if you do that, and I haven't tested jLevelBuilder.  It's just lemmix that has that problem as far as I know.