Author Topic: Who actually runs the forum these days?  (Read 12885 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: Who actually runs the forum these days?
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2014, 03:12:17 AM »
LoftyD has his website, except that it isn't complete or formatted in any way, and it doesn't look like he intends to fix it up any time soon...
has anyone asked him about it lately?
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2014, 05:00:23 AM »
Last time he was here, I think I remember him saying he didn't intend to do much more than has already been done...

Anyway, if we're going to set up a new forum, I'm happy to help with hosting costs and administration, though as far as more technical stuff goes, I'd rather leave that to someone else (simply because I'm not overly great with PHP and I'm not familiar with SMF's source - the only forum system I am familiar with to some extent is GF++).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2014, 06:09:40 AM »
Good question. I don't want to throw all this away if we don't have to, but it's hard to be sure what's going on.

Can you, as an admin, do some sort of backup or export of the forums database?

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2014, 12:20:55 PM »
Yes, it's still letting me export the database so I've been taking backups often.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2014, 09:30:14 PM »
I think we had a prolbem in the past with this being overlooked: Does that include attachments?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2014, 02:07:02 PM »
Unfortunately not, as that would require me being able to access the FTP. :/

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2014, 05:09:22 AM »
I'd assume the database at least contains information about the attachments? Might it be possible to export the links from it and use a mass downloader of some kind?
My Lemmings projects

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2014, 01:06:43 PM »
That's true. My SQL skills are a little basic (and rusty) but this might be viable.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2014, 12:02:06 AM »
As we're talking about database dumps anyway, have you managed to dig out the one from the previous incarnation of the forum, Mr. K? :P

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2014, 12:24:43 PM »
Well, from the site going down today, and actually having a note put up to let us know what was going on, and that it's back fairly quickly, I'd say even if he's completely absent from the forums, Adam's at least still aware of the existance and maintaining it. Guess we can be thankful for that, though I personally think it'd be nice if he at least made a post to let us know he's not gonna be around on here but will still maintain the place. :/
My Lemmings projects

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2014, 02:15:57 PM »
On that note, Happy Birthday Adam! (I saw you online for a few minutes today)  :)

I hope you're alright, and that whatever keeps you so busy in real life is something pleasant and not something nasty.

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2014, 04:36:26 PM »
I didn't know Adam is that young. I thought a 30+ year old was running this site.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2014, 12:54:43 AM »
I thought a 30+ year old was running this site.
And that's not young, now...? ;)

Happy Birthday, Adam! :thumbsup:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2014, 06:02:16 AM »
I actually was surprised too, even though really I should know it since me and him used to talk on MSN all the time back in the day. Heh, I remember he sent me some Weird Al songs claiming him and his mates made them... xD good times, good times...
My Lemmings projects

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2014, 07:06:17 PM »
namida made a release post in the existing thread about NeoLemmix.

[18:36] <SimonN> namida needs a subforum on LF
[18:37] <SimonN> but Adam isn't around and Mr. T lost his password and the forums are a little botched
[18:38] <SimonN> I found Adam's reallife address in Great Britain from the domain whois, let's go threaten him until he fixes everything and then go out in town like old friends.

Meanwhile, I made a thread about a minor release.

[18:57] <geoo> maybe you should have a new thread for releases that change physics, but just bump previous threads if there are no physics changes?
[18:58] <SimonN> sensible
[18:58] <SimonN> will move
[19:07] <SimonN> I want to have more time besides math, lix, and playing several games; then I'd consider renting a virtual private server and host the forums and a couple websites of my own
[19:08] <SimonN> the forums need more subcategories; namida is hosting entire programming projects in a single thread, those should get a board at least
[19:09] <SimonN> whenever you consider not making a post because it clutters the current infrastructure, it's a sign of too few tree nodes in the infrastructure

Very philosophical. Internet culture demands me to start a blog. For that is the place to safely dump such ideas where nobody gets offended, to be found only by those in search for them.

-- Simon