Author Topic: Pointers for a complete level-designing beginner?  (Read 3725 times)

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
Pointers for a complete level-designing beginner?
« on: September 04, 2013, 04:39:01 PM »
Ok, I'm approaching this with some trepidation, as it's completely new territory to me. I had a couple of ideas for some Lemmings levels, but the entire concept of creating them is completely alien to me - I have no idea where to begin, what I should use, and, most importantly, what's actually available to me, as I use Linux, and a lot of the stuff I'm vaguely aware of is only for Microsoft Windows (and there's never any guarantee that things will work correctly under WINE - not to mention I'm in the process of transitioning to a 100% ARM setup, at which point WINE will no longer really be a viable option :P).

Where do I start?

What game should I be targetting? Lemmini?

Are there editors available for the officially-released games (e.g., Master System, Mega Drive, SNES, whatever)?

How's it all done? :o

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Offline GuyPerfect

• View Profile
Re: Pointers for a complete level-designing beginner?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 04:57:55 PM »
If you need to use Windows for whatever reason, you can set up a VM using VirtualBox, which is probably part of your official Linux repository. If you need a copy of Windows to install on it, well, let's just say I know a Guy who can help you out.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 05:05:56 PM »
I can't help you with Linux-specific information, so take anything I say with that caveat.

I would highly recommend using Lix, as (1) the editor is infinitely more user-friendly; (2) gameplay has finer control features and so levels are easier to test; (3) the additional skills give you more options (without going overboard as Lemmings 2 did); (4) Lix is of course newer and so there is more room for originality; (5) the game is almost entirely free of those annoying glitches, which the expert players on this forum will use to complete your levels without solving the puzzles; (6) the game is easy to install, so everyone here should be able to play your levels. I don't know how many of us have Lemmini; I don't.

I don't know about editing the console versions, but it's possible to edit the Mac version with ResEdit. However, changing the skills and level stats is easy, but constructing new layouts is much harder, as you have to edit the list of object locations, and you can only see what the level actually looks like by loading it in the game.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 05:36:35 PM »
Standard Lix disclaimer -- It might not run as flawlessly on every operating system as it did on Win XP. It cannot export its levels in the L1 format readable by L1 and Lemmix.

Other than that, the program and the level format are as free as you can get, and besides its own format it understands L1 and Lemmini level files.

-- Simon

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 08:39:07 PM »
If you need to use Windows for whatever reason, you can set up a VM using VirtualBox, which is probably part of your official Linux repository. If you need a copy of Windows to install on it, well, let's just say I know a Guy who can help you out.
Honestly, I find Microsoft Windows to be extremely difficult and obfuscated to use - I've had to conclude that it's quite simply not compatible with my way of working, haha. :D WINE's pretty good nowadays, but the ARM switchover is what rules out anything for Microsoft Windows, really.

Thanks for the suggestion/offer, though. ;)

I would highly recommend using Lix, as (1) the editor is infinitely more user-friendly; (2) gameplay has finer control features and so levels are easier to test; (3) the additional skills give you more options (without going overboard as Lemmings 2 did); (4) Lix is of course newer and so there is more room for originality; (5) the game is almost entirely free of those annoying glitches, which the expert players on this forum will use to complete your levels without solving the puzzles; (6) the game is easy to install, so everyone here should be able to play your levels. I don't know how many of us have Lemmini; I don't.
Thanks for this! Whilst I have had Lix up and running on my Linux boxes (and it was a nice, easy compile, too), I for some reason wasn't aware of the editor...

I'm not a fan of glitch/odd-behaviour centric levels, myself. My ideas are pretty simple, really, so I don't foresee any issues with that!

As for Lemmini, I have it, but it was a bit of a pain to get it up and running, as it's picky about which version of the WinLemm files it will take (it outright refused to deal with the version on my budget re-release Lemmings Paintball CD-ROM, for example), and I've found it to be a bit crash-happy. Glad to hear that Lix is probably the better option (not that I dislike Lemmini, mind you).

Standard Lix disclaimer -- It might not run as flawlessly on every operating system as it did on Win XP. It cannot export its levels in the L1 format readable by L1 and Lemmix.

Other than that, the program and the level format are as free as you can get, and besides its own format it understands L1 and Lemmini level files.

-- Simon
Thanks much for this, also.

It does seem to run nicely on Linux (current version of Xubuntu, for now), last I used it, so I can't see any issues there. :)

Time to look into this all further...

Offline GuyPerfect

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 11:51:24 PM »

I'm not convinced that you understand what VirtualBox can do. (-:

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 03:55:44 PM »

I'm not convinced that you understand what VirtualBox can do. (-:
I do, believe me - I used it quite regularly not so long ago. It's just coming to have little relevance or use to me as time is going on, and is of no help whatsoever on ARM, since it's virtualised and not emulated. ;) (Usermode Qemu+WINE is of possible future use, though, but last I checked it was still broken.)

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 12:05:07 AM »
Go for it Prob Lem

I found it complicated at first but after a while it should be easy to get used to. 

I remember my first lemmings paintball CD get stepped on scratched to bits to the point of no return so it must of been a while after that then I got another copy of the game. 

I look forward to seeing how the levels turn out no pressure.  :thumbsup:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 04:16:10 AM »
If you're wanting to make levels in the traditional format, I would highly suggest DOSBox + LemEdit. Worked even on Android for me, so it should work no sweat on Linux, even with ARM.

You can also use Lemmix rather than the original game for playtesting as long as you're still on x86; the editor doesn't like WINE apparently but I had little trouble running the player in it.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 10:52:51 PM »
I'd suggest waiting for LJLPM to release his editor. It looks like it's gonna be awesome.

Besides that Lix is about the only user friendly program in existence.
Be prepared for all that back route testing jazz. It can be frustrating; but sometimes inspiring. e.g. it leads to ideas to change your level or make another new level.

If you use Lemmix, I'd suggest using Lemmini with it, it is nicer than Lemmix player imo. And there are fewer game-breaking glitches. (there are still glitches)
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain