Author Topic: Any way to fix the safe-fall distance from the CD version?  (Read 9473 times)

Offline weirdzod

• View Profile
Any way to fix the safe-fall distance from the CD version?
« on: August 18, 2013, 07:02:45 PM »
Is possible to hack the exe file for fix this problem?

The ONML from this CD have the same problem?

Offline GuyPerfect

• View Profile
Re: Any way to fix the safe-fall distance from the CD version?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 05:38:09 PM »
I'm not aware of what the problem is. Could you describe what it's doing wrong?

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 06:30:31 AM »
Hello!

I know what you're talking about and it has been fixed by ccexplore a while ago.
I still have a version of Lemmings where it fixes the problem of the safe-fall distance from the CD version along with the bug of the first music playing each time you lose a level from the floppy version. I don't know however if that version would play the CD soundtracks though.

Quote from: GuyPerfect
I'm not aware of what the problem is. Could you describe what it's doing wrong?

In the CD version of Lemmings, the safe-fall distance has been increased from 60+3 to 63+3, causing the Lemmings to survive on higher fall distance and making some levels way easier than intended. A good example would be all the "We All Fall Down" levels which can be solved without even assigning a single Digger skill.
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 08:11:18 PM »
Let's start by attaching the EXEs of your copy of the game here (or otherwise get me a copy of your files in some manner).  There are a number of "CD versions" of the game for DOS, and there is also WinLemm which I vaguely recall (possibly incorrectly) may have the same problem.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 01:24:48 PM »
WinLemm does indeed have the problem, at least on some copies.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline weirdzod

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 02:50:32 PM »
Thanks for the help :)

In the zip file are the exes.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 04:12:27 AM »
I'll try to get to it sometime this weekend.  To help motivate me, I would love it if you can answer some questions (not directly related to completing your request) I have about your version of the games: ;P

Have you gotten your version of the games to play music?  I tried the EXEs (both) and it looks like they have the behavior of trying to play audio tracks from the game's CD.  Some CD-ROM versions of the games do actually have such audio tracks on the CD, while others omit them from the CD apparently (and I guess you're then left with no sound or something).

If you have gotten your CD's ONML to play music that's from the game's CD, I'm curious to know if they are merely repeats of a subset of the same songs also played in the version of Lemmings on your CD, or whether they are totally new songs separate from the Lemmings set (as they are supposed to be).

[note: I'm obviously assuming that there is just a single CD disc holding both Lemmings and ONML.  If that's not the case (ie. separate CDs for each game) then please let me know!]

Someone here made a MP3/WAV rip of the CD audio tracks I'm talking about, see this topic.  Feel free to have a listen and see if the ripped music sounds like the ones you hear (if you get any music) when you play the game with your CD.  My questions about ONML is because that rip of CD audio tracks distinctly do not have seem to include any of the ONML music that one gets from non-CD versions of ONML.

Offline weirdzod

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 01:59:54 PM »
Hi!  :)

This version has the same audio tracks that are in the forum, there are no tracks of ONML: (
At each level when the track reaches the end repeats.

Unfortunately I have only the CD, I haven't the box or the manual, so I can not give much more information about this release.

Excuse my English.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 12:23:32 PM »
Thanks for confirming, too bad there are no CD versions of ONML music.

Anyway, I believe I've fixed it and have attached the modified EXEs.  Only vgalemmi.exe from each game needs to be modified.  I didn't have a chance to actually try them out yet though.

Offline weirdzod

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 07:27:44 PM »
Thank you very much, for now it works great :)

On the subject of music in cd ONML ... you can create a cd image by replacing some of the tracks.

I can convert a midi, improving their quality using synthesizers, but only find 3 midis of ONML (DOSOhnomore1.mid, DOSOhnomore2.mid and DOSOhnomore4.mid)

Here I have a sample of how it can be, but I would have to equalize a little better.

If anyone has the other 3 midis please to put them in this thread and I will try to make them sound better :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qvgho47oqqeqdrz/DOSOhnomore1.mp3 ;)

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 02:52:44 AM »
Just to mention, I'm the author of the midi files and they're far from being good as they try to simulate the Dos music. :P

I can make better midi files if you want to improve them using synths. This could give me some motivation. But just wondering, what kind of synthesizers are you using?

Offline weirdzod

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 03:07:57 PM »
Just to mention, I'm the author of the midi files and they're far from being good as they try to simulate the Dos music. :P

I can make better midi files if you want to improve them using synths. This could give me some motivation. But just wondering, what kind of synthesizers are you using?

Hi :)
I'm using Nexus 2 with some expansions, superior drummer with the electronic expansion and some other.

Here another example: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tikhsnl9jgfclwd/onhoml2.mp3

I found this midi pack, are these your midis? https://www.dropbox.com/s/f96qlswyyw1ex11/Midis.rar

PS: If you don't like the instruments or anything else of use in the examples that I'm putting it here, you can tell me. For example, the lead of the first file is a bit hardcore, I can change it, or guitar, or whatever. You can suggest whatever you want :)

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 11:47:19 PM »
In my case, I'm using VSTHost along with the YAMAHA SoftSynthesizer S-YXG50 and I use Anvil Studio to sequence.

The first midi of the pack is from me, I recognize it. The other ones are not. Where did you find it?

I just improved the 3 midi files I have. I didn't sequence the 3 other ones yet, but someone seems to have been faster than me. :P

As for the instruments, I'm playing with these on my own. However, I have no idea how it would sound for you. So, my suggestion would be that I send you the files when I feel they are ready, and if they sound awkward for you, you can alter some instruments in order to make it sound better.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 03:40:59 AM »
There you go. All done. Tell me what do you think.

Since it's midi, it's possible that some instruments may sound awkward, depending on the sound card you have, especially about the percussion organ on some songs. Therefore, weirdzod, please check if it sounds okay, not too loud and bring the changes if it's not.