Author Topic: Any way to fix the safe-fall distance from the CD version?  (Read 9527 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Any way to fix the safe-fall distance from the CD version?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2013, 09:54:41 AM »
Sound fine to me. =D
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2013, 01:13:01 PM »
It's good if it sounds fine to you, but MIDIs have the downside that it sounds differently depending on the sound card you have. On some synthesizers, the Percussive Organ instrument I'm using in most of the songs sound quite loud while in the SoftSynth synthesizer I use, it sounds quite soft. This is why I'm doing this warning so that, if you're going to make a .WAV or .MP3 out of these, make sure to adjust the volume or ensure the instruments are fine.
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2013, 10:13:51 PM »
Only problem I notice with your midis is that when converting them to mod, some of the tracks (especially the tinkle bell) become really quiet. But that's easily fixed.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2013, 09:30:19 AM »
I'd be curious to hear those mods when they're going to be done. Otherwise, there's already mods out of the Amiga ONML game. Why not using those?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2013, 09:59:25 AM »
Because I like the DOS version tracks better. =P
Same reason why LP DOS Project's Lemmix player uses the Sega tracks instead of the DOS or Amiga ones.

Anyway, here's the MOD conversions. I didn't actually change anything except the volume on a couple of instruments, so it more or less sounds the same as the original midi (at least to me).

(If you're wondering how the timing sounds so accurate when usually it gets messed up converting to MOD - if you edit the midi and set the tempo to 125 before you open it in MPT, the timing will be perfectly fine! Then you can just change the tempo back in MPT, and it'll keep the accurate timings. Whereas if you open it directly at the original tempo, it'll mess it up.)
My Lemmings projects

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2013, 10:50:46 AM »
Interesting, I didn't realize MIDI->MOD (or more accurately, MIDI->IT MOD in your case) has gotten so good nowadays.  It truly is almost indistinguishable from the MIDI (at least with the MIDI played on the default software MIDI synth on Windows).  [Granted, since MODs are based on samples I guess technically it shouldn't be a surprise.]

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2013, 02:37:13 AM »
That's not bad, but it uses the basic MIDI instruments which I kinda hate since their sound quality isn't the best. But that's nice to see it converted into MOD. I may try to make .MP3 files out of the synth I'm using. Would it be supported?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2013, 02:46:24 AM »
I'm not entirely sure how, but I believe you can, when importing the midis, use a custom instrument set instead of the default one? Just remember the trick about setting tempo to 125. You could then get the exact sound you want, but in a MOD (or rather, IT) file, which would be smaller than an MP3 as well as easier to edit.
My Lemmings projects

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2013, 11:48:46 PM »
Custom instruments? Yikes. Hard to do. With your MOD software, can you find instruments that are close to the midi ones and make the notes to use these instead?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2013, 01:37:10 AM »
Well, MOD is similar to MIDI, except instead of relying on a default sound bank provided by Windows (or one you installed yourself), it relies on samples embedded in the MOD file. So; if it can access the default Midi sounds, it can probably access those of your synthesizer too.
My Lemmings projects

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2013, 02:23:16 AM »
So; if it can access the default Midi sounds, it can probably access those of your synthesizer too.

I'm not so sure about that.  I think MS might have made the underlying soundfonts for their default synth available in one of their DirectX SDKs, which may be why you can get them easily through your conversion program.  But third-party MIDI synthesizers are drivers and handle the synthesis completely on their own (indeed, there is nothing that says they even have to use sample-based synthesis at all), so I don't believe a direct way exist to get samples of the sounds used from them.  At least it will be different from synth to synth whether/how you might get the samples.  For example you might need to download such samples from the vendor itself, if they even share them out that way.  Recording the sounds (in effect, recreating the samples on your own) is of course an option but obviously lots of work.

You are better off hunting for pre-existing samples for MODs/ITs and just pick and choose the ones that sound closest.  [edit: sounds like that's exactly what DragonsLover is saying ;P]

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2013, 02:44:40 AM »
My "convertor" is opening then in OpenMPT and re-saving them as IT files. (Actually - first, I change the midi's tempo to 125, and I change it back in the resulting MOD. Otherwise, the timings all get messed up.)
My Lemmings projects