Author Topic: Lemmings for Android?  (Read 12737 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings for Android?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 08:13:44 AM »
Might be old news to some people already, but you can get an Android emulator here for Windows (Mac OS X version apparently also available, but no Linux version):

http://www.bluestacks.com/

I gave it a quick try on Win7 and it seems to work okay, in fact some games seem work better in there than on my actual cheap phone, though of course it depends highly on the game like any emulation.  Emulation is slower but then your average PC's likely faster than an average phone, so it might just balance out.  You use the mouse to do the simple tap and pan gestures.  Multi-touch might work if your computer has a touchscreen, but I haven't tried (and don't have anything to try with anyhow).

And no, I haven't tried any of the lemmings-like games mentioned here yet, for now.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2014, 08:20:31 AM »
If you want to do any serious playing without investing in an extremely expensive device, I would reccomend getting a slightly-outdated device that was top of the line (or close to it) in its time. At the moment, I would say Galaxy S2 (or if you're willing to spend a bit more, S3) is a good choice - while it won't match today's phones in terms of benchmarks (well - theoretically at least, most models of S2 should actually outperform the iPhone 5, no idea about the 5C/5S), it will be more than sufficient for all but the most demanding of games.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 09:59:13 PM »
little teaser of my game... 8) (please note this is a work in progress: GUI and gfx are not final)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 02:05:16 AM »
I have a little more free time now compared to the last two months, so if you ever want people to try it out I'm happy to take a look, both on Bluestacks emulation as well as on my actual low-end Android phone.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 04:05:40 AM »
I'm able to test on a GT-I9300 Galaxy S3 or a generic Chinese tablet. One thing that might be useful here is that my tablet has a physical keyboard (USB, not bluetooth).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2014, 12:33:42 PM »
Thanks for your help!
Atm, I'm still very far from an alpha or beta release: this is an early work in progress (not all actions are implemented, a lot of game mechanics are missing, I want to add things not present in Lemming1, some game-design choices are yet to be made, etc...)
=> official topic: http://www.lemmingsforums.com/index.php?topic=963.0

Offline Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2014, 01:33:54 PM »
I was looking at Droidlings (http://www.lemmingsforums.com/index.php?topic=760.0) and I installed the WIP APK you attached.  IDK if you're still working on it or not, but when I got to playing, I went to the Lemmings set, and I got this error, when I clicked on the first level:

(click on image to enlarge)

The error changed depending on what level i pressed on, since every level is not contained in the same .dat file.
Anyone perhaps know about this, or how to fix it?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2014, 12:00:46 AM »
Hmm, one thing I notice is that in the original forum thread, Johannes mentioned file paths like "/sdcard/Droidlings/Lemmings", but the error message in your screenshot seems to have a file path that is referencing internal storage rather than SD card (though I'm really just guessing here to be fair, I'm not that familiar with Android on a technical level).  With that in mind I wonder if moving the app to SDCard might help?  (ie. go to Settings, Apps, pick the app, then find the "move to SD card" button; note that IIRC apps-on-SDcard support is only available on Android above a certain version which I don't remember)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2014, 02:55:40 AM »
Okay, that advice above may be useless since it looks like apps installed via APK files may not have a "move to SD card" option.  At least it was disabled for me when I tried it out on the BlueStacks Android emulator, even though it's not disabled in general.

However, I did notice that the Lemmings files (eg. levelXXX.dat, actually I think it needs all the DAT files from the game) aren't included in the APK anyway, so you'd have to explicitly put them in the location the program expects to find them.  So more likely it could be a problem due to the exact way you got those files onto your device.  Your error specifically is a permission-denied problem.  I got it working fine for me after I put the files in the location mentioned in the "file not found" (as opposed to your "permission denied") error message I first saw when the files aren't there yet.

When I tried it out, because it was on an emulator and I don't know how to put files directly onto the emulated SD card outside of Android, I actually did that through Android:  I email the files to myself as a zip file, download the zip file from the web browser on Android, then use a File Manager app on Android to extract the files to the location desired by the game (the location it gave in the error message when the files aren't there yet).  A more natural way if you are using a real device is to just pre-populate the SD card with the right files and folders on your PC, and then put the card back onto the device, and since IIRC SD card uses FAT32 file system which shouldn't have permissions, it should work just as well as the more cumbersome email method I went through.  Nevertheless, I gave you two methods you can try to get working.  [Sidenote: if you are using a real device, I think you can also just plug the Android device to your PC via USB, and there should be options for you to make your Android device appear as USB storage to the PC, which I think (?) would expose the SD card as well, and then you can copy files and folders onto the SD card that way without having to take it out of the device and putting it back in.]

Oh and if your device or emulator doesn't actually have an SD card at all when you hit your error, please retry with an SD card (real or emulated).  I bring this up because again, the file path in your error message doesn't look like an SD card file path, even though in my case and in Johanne's case it was.  The only explanation I can think of is if on your device/emulator there is no SD card at all, which ends up causing Droidlings to look for the files in internal storage instead, which may have stricter access permissions.  If this is the root cause then once you insert the SD card (and potentially kill/restart the app or maybe just reboot your device), I expect the error message should change to "file not found" instead of "permission denied", and should show a different file path, likely one that contains "sdcard" somewhere in its text.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2014, 04:45:16 AM »
"sdcard" on Android doesn't always literally refer to an SD card. On at least Galaxy S2 and S3 (and presumably other Galaxies), the internal memory is also treated like an SD card, with a physical one being referred to as "extSDcard".
My Lemmings projects

Offline Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2014, 12:10:20 PM »
I use a 1st generation Nexus 7 16 GB Wifi tablet, which does not have an SD card. i think it uses an emulated sdcard for it's internal memory.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2014, 03:39:38 PM »
"sdcard" on Android doesn't always literally refer to an SD card. On at least Galaxy S2 and S3 (and presumably other Galaxies), the internal memory is also treated like an SD card, with a physical one being referred to as "extSDcard".
This seems to be the norm on all the Android devices I've encountered to date. It confused the hell out of me to begin with. ;P

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2014, 05:02:41 PM »
My first Android phone, a Huawei something, didn't do this. I can't remember what my tablet does, it's a pretty generic one.
My Lemmings projects