Author Topic: Lemmings for Android?  (Read 12738 times)

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
Lemmings for Android?
« on: July 27, 2013, 07:08:27 PM »
Is anyone working on, or planning to make an android port for lemmings by any chance!   

:thumbsup:

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings for Android?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 07:36:00 PM »
I haven't heard of anyone working on one, unfortunately (I can see why - Sony basically more-or-less sits on the license, keeps it from seeing appropriate releases on suitable hardware, and their track-record suggests that they are a lawsuit-happy bunch, which is something most people wouldn't want to risk dealing with). That said, I know of some clones - a search for Lemmings ought to bring them up. Ones I can think of off of the top of my head include "Zomblings" and "Mechanics Touch".

There was also Droidlings, but I don't know if that has continued progressing or not. :(

I seem to recall that Sony released a crippled, paywalled "port" of the PlayStation Portable version, as well, but I have no idea if 1: that's still available, and 2: if it's available to all Android users or just those using Sony hardware (it doesn't come up in any searches for Lemmings, for whatever that's worth).

Offline GuyPerfect

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 07:40:07 PM »
Eh, we can make one. Sony's legal department be damned. How about DHTML Lemmings?

I do know there's a DosBox that runs on Android, but since there's no unified mouse device driver for DOS, every program has to implement its own, so you can't just point and tap to click the cursor; you have to drag it around. I wasn't able to run Lemmings 2 worth a darn because I couldn't reliably scroll the screen.

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 01:21:08 AM »
I didn't even think about emulation, there... There's also UAE4Droid, as well, though I have no idea if it's any good. I tend to stick to emulation on devices with suitable physical controls. :P

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 06:45:45 PM »
Mouse support in DosBOX on Android is crap. Even if you use a physical mouse. You're going to want to use keyboard or joystick-based controls instead. Apart from that, Lemmings works VERY well in it (though I am speaking from a fairly high-end device (Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 (quad-core Exynos, 1GB RAM, 3G-only model)).

I wonder how much work it'd be to port Lemmix to Android... if you could make it read from external data files rather than embedded ones, and created a set of new levels to release it with (while still, of course, leaving it compatible with the old ones)...
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline keiya

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 03:07:12 AM »
If you check out the Lemmini source there's the beginnings of an Android version in there, but I didn't actually look at how far it's gotten.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 03:43:01 AM »
Is there any version of Delphi (or similar) for Android? Personally, I'd be much more keen on seeing Lemmix ported than Lemmini... (though realistically, Lemmini would be the easier one to port)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline keiya

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 04:44:24 AM »
FreePascal's development version supposedly has JVM target support. You might be able to wrestle Lemmix into working on that, then through the JVM->Dalvik conversion. Maybe. It depends on a lot of variables, like how much Lemmix uses Delphi libraries that FreePascal doesn't support, how finicky FreePascal is feeling on a given day, whether the .class files it outputs are ones that the Dalvik compiler would be happy chewing on...

There's also apparently support for targeting Android in Delphi XE5, but that uses the Android NDK, and from what I hear newer versions of Delphi are a mess to start with.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 05:23:39 AM »
Lemmix is built in Delphi 7, which I understand to be quite an old (and, at least by the developers, unsupported) platform now. :/
My Lemmings projects

Offline ns804apps

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 02:36:10 PM »
Not sure if you all are interested but we are working on a Mobile Lemmings game for Android and iOS now you all know we cannot be lemmings with the levels but we are aiming to release our code and level editor open source to allow level design folks and lemmings die Garda the ability to make their own levels and games. If you have a chance and are interested please check out our kickstarter:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/479743916/morads-a-lemmings-tribute-for-pc-ios-and-android

Offline cibine

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 06:14:54 PM »
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.HouseMadeGames.HomeSweetTrolls1

nice gfx, good level design, 80 levels, originals skills.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 02:55:56 AM »
Santa gave me a cheap (non-MO-subsidized) Android phone this Xmas, so I might actually be able to try some of the stuff on threads like this now......

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 04:31:48 PM »
The latest Delphi version has support for Android. But the solution they choose for screen output is built on some OpenGL system. So when rebuilding Lemmix a lot of work has to be done to make the code so that it compiles multiplatform.
Currently working on my "Lemmix XL" for Windows I have no time to go into that. But maybe in a year or so, I could give it a try.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 10:28:50 PM »
Does Lemmix compile under the latest version as-is (ie: just for Windows)?
My Lemmings projects

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 02:10:47 PM »
Yes it does. But - if I remember correctly - you have to setup some "designtime" packages in Delphi to compile properly.
(Graphics32, VirtualTrees)

Maybe - if my recollection is correct - I'll redesign the old version as well so that it compiles immediately under any delphi version newer than Delphi 7.
<edit> This all is about the editor, I don't think there is any designstuff in the player. So compiling must be possible with any Delphi version. </edit>

If it is of  any interest: I totally stopped with the so-called "designtime" programming (which is dropping visual components on a form and setting some properties). So next versions will always be çlean' from the nonsensical designtime stuff :)