Author Topic: Isn't It Supposed To Play Jingle Bells?  (Read 5391 times)

Offline BBP

• View Profile
    • BB's lair!
Isn't It Supposed To Play Jingle Bells?
« on: November 24, 2017, 11:24:25 AM »
At present I'm gritting my way through Holiday Lemmings. I love the puzzles but if there's one reason why I can't keep up a decent playing speed, it's the infernal tunes. I'm now at the Flurry 16 level after playing through all the 1994 levels.
I have a Holiday Lemmings re-release by Dice Interactive. It was bundled in one Christmas package with Lemmings Revolution, quite an odd couple. I wasn't sure if I could get it to run by using the MSDos starter, so I copied the game contents into a folder and am playing it through DOSBox.

The game only plays 3 songs, always in the same order and always the same one upon start-up. So when you're stuck on a level and you fire up the game again to give it another go, it'll always play the same midi. I'd hoped that upon reaching the 1993 levels, the game would change its tune. But it hasn't. I'm still listening to the same three buggers.

Is that normal for Holiday Lemmings 1994?
Or is it related to the Dice re-release?
Or is it related to me running the game in a way it wasn't really supposed to run?
Playing: Lemmings Revolution
Solved: 93 - Unsolved: 9 - Unreached: 0
Last completed level: The Long And Winding Road

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Isn't It Supposed To Play Jingle Bells?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 09:13:52 PM »
Holiday Lemmings (all versions) have always only had three tunes - Jingle Bells, Good King Wenceslas, and (depending on platform) either Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer or another one I don't know the name of (but it was also in the mix of tracks on Original Lemmings).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 01:33:51 AM »
Holiday Lemmings (all versions) have always only had three tunes - Jingle Bells, Good King Wenceslas, and (depending on platform) either Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer or another one I don't know the name of (but it was also in the mix of tracks on Original Lemmings).
Forest Green for the Dos release

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 02:31:56 AM »
Either Dos HL93 or Dos HL94 plays the first 3 tracks from ONML instead of Christmas music. The other plays the correct tracks, as namida says.

-- Simon

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 09:07:45 AM »
Either Dos HL93 or Dos HL94 plays the first 3 tracks from ONML instead of Christmas music.

Probably HL94.  I'm thinking the same version that also featured that one level using the ONML rock/crystal graphics set instead of the usual Xmas set.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 10:35:57 PM »
Either Dos HL93 or Dos HL94 plays the first 3 tracks from ONML instead of Christmas music.

Probably HL94.  I'm thinking the same version that also featured that one level using the ONML rock/crystal graphics set instead of the usual Xmas set.

I'm fairly sure both H93 and H94 (on DOS) feature this level. I don't remember 100% for sure, but I am fairly sure I recall playing this level when I was a lot younger, at which time I only had H93. It also had the proper Holiday Lemmings music.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 12:40:15 AM »
I confess that I mostly played the holiday levels in Lemmix editor with no music.  I know I had at some point tried out one or more of the Holiday Lemmings in DOSBox, but it's certainly possible that I conflated the inclusion of the ONML rock-graphics level with usage of ONML music.

That being said, I still feel relatively certain that it was H94 that had the ONML music.  I feel relatively confident remembering that the H91 and H92 versions (which only included around 2-3 levels or some such small number relative to H93/H94) featured the Xmas music.  It would seem unusual if they switched to ONML music for H93 only to switch back to Xmas music for H94.

Offline BBP

• View Profile
    • BB's lair!
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 11:22:02 AM »
Thanks, it appears I have HL94 with the ONML tunes and one level with non-holiday tile set.
Luckily, now that I've learnt of the alt-F12 function that works like a fast forward button in DOSBox, it's become bearable! ;)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 11:38:54 AM »
Not tested, but I suspect if you overwrite the adlib.dat file with a copy of the file taken from a version of Holiday that has Xmas music, you might get the game to play the Xmas music instead of ONML.  But you'll still be stuck with a cycle of only 3 music (just different music than ONML) so not sure it's all that improved. :P

Offline BBP

• View Profile
    • BB's lair!
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 09:29:38 AM »
:D It works! I used the 1991 Xmas Lemmings adlib.dat file for this!

I'll check it out to see if I can use the music from the Lemmings demo... :)

Offline DoubleU

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 06:11:13 AM »
Forest Green for the Dos release
Some hymnals use that tune for O Little Town of Bethlehem.