Author Topic: Suggestions for a new Cheapo Copycat game  (Read 65885 times)

Offline Essman

• View Profile
    • Ferret Face Games
Re: Suggestions for a new Cheapo Copycat game
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2004, 01:55:27 AM »
Quote from: DragonsLover  link=1100126896/45#59 date=1101947153
Can you show more please? That way, it would be great to see what the game will look!

Um, sure, here are a couple screenshots of the editor:
Editor 1
Editor 2

Everything there is just for testing, those graphics and names are not final. But the screenshots show a couple features. The first one shows the object editor and animation editor. The second screenshot shows some test terrain, and how the editor can have multiple viewports of the level, each one being able to zoom in or out.
They both show the "graphic chooser" pane which is where the current style shows up. The graphic chooser is also used to edit the current style.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2004, 05:08:56 PM »
That's... so...

COOOOL!!! B) :thumbsup:
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

piainp2

« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2004, 06:30:27 PM »
My, this is a busy topic.  O_O
No, it's better to let it like normally. For all lemmings games, timer started when the level began.

Really? I never realised that before...

About the percentages thing: one obvious problem with using percentages is that some people's Cheapo levels have more than 100 lemmings.

One of my ResEdit levels for the Mac had 120 lemmings, to save 1, and so of course this displayed as "To Save 0%"!!!

....which puzzled people who saved zero lemmings, which is also 0%, and were told they'd failed the level.

Thats why I said "choice"

I understand that others might not like the percentage format,  but I DO.

I don't know, really don't know, if it would be compatible on Cheapo... but if it is, it could be really hard to do. What do you think about that Peter?  
I'm not even going to try. Might be too hard, and I only want to support my own level format.

Point taken     X_X

« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2004, 08:11:58 PM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1100126896/45#47 date=1101845411
One of my ResEdit levels for the Mac had 120 lemmings, to save 1, and so of course this displayed as "To Save 0%"!!!

Ok this is out of topic but, which original level was that based on?  It's hard to imagine you would ever need to sacrifice that many lemmings just to save 1...... O_O

Hmm wait...I can think of one.  That level that has 3 exits (2 to the left one above one below, a hidden one on the right).  I suppose if you were to bomb (!) your way to the exit it might take that many......

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2004, 08:36:54 PM »
The level was 1 Fun, "Just dig!"

To save 1 of 120 -- skills: three bombers, four blockers.

« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2004, 08:53:36 PM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1100126896/60#64 date=1102019814
The level was 1 Fun, "Just dig!"

To save 1 of 120 -- skills: three bombers, four blockers.

So you can actually save a lot more than "1" though right?  :???:

One thing about this level is I think the PC and Mac version differs slightly, for example on the PC you can bomb thru with 3 bombers but it seems like they said on the Mac you have to use 4, but then according to what you said here maybe you can use 3 anyway even in the Mac version.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2004, 09:51:05 PM »
No; the whole point of that level was that it does take 4.

And it's possible but VERY hard to save more than 1 -- the most I ever managed was 2.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2004, 12:06:02 AM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1100126896/60#66 date=1102024265
No; the whole point of that level was that it does take 4.

And it's possible but VERY hard to save more than 1 -- the most I ever managed was 2.

I have a feeling that this level uses the same trick I know for Fun 6 to beat it with only one bomber, although I can usually save 47/50.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2004, 12:12:10 AM »
Ah, never mind, I see what you're getting at.   B)  And I won't tell of course.  ;P

« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2004, 12:22:05 AM »
Quote from: Insane_Steve  link=1100126896/60#67 date=1102032362
I have a feeling that this level uses the same trick I know for Fun 6 to beat it with only one bomber, although I can usually save 47/50.

That would make sense.  Actually I think I might've seen this somewhere in an official DMA levelset, but again I won't tell.

« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2004, 12:28:10 AM »
Quote from: Insane_Steve  link=1100126896/60#67 date=1102032362
although I can usually save 47/50.
Oh I missed this part, that I'll have to think about.  You do truly mean 47 saved and not just 3 died right?

« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2004, 12:30:28 AM »
Sheesh, everything is out of order.  For the record, the first "ah I know what you're getting at" is a response to Ahbrir, before I saw Insane_Steve's post which managed to squeeze in before my own post.  Then the other two are responses to Insane_Steve's stuff.

Oh gosh, and apologies to Dragonslover for hijacking this thread on this.  I promise to stop right now.  :-[

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2004, 09:27:43 AM »
Me too.

I'll just say that I'm pretty sure what you're thinking of, guest, is the right solution. I don't know what Insane Steve's trick is, but I've sent him a PM about it so we don't keep hijacking this thread.

Now, suggestions for the new Cheapo game.

One really important thing is that on the original game if you have several lemmings under the cursor, there's a way to choose whether a new skill is given to a lemming already doing something or to a walker. (At least one level -- 5 Havoc -- depends on this, so it's clearly intended.) I don't know if this is already on Cheapo? If it is, how do you do it?

Offline Essman

• View Profile
    • Ferret Face Games
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2004, 05:15:54 PM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1100126896/60#72 date=1102066063
One really important thing is that on the original game if you have several lemmings under the cursor, there's a way to choose whether a new skill is given to a lemming already doing something or to a walker. (At least one level -- 5 Havoc -- depends on this, so it's clearly intended.) I don't know if this is already on Cheapo? If it is, how do you do it?

When you click, priority is given to a lemming that is not walking. In fact, the highest priority is given to blockers. Having a climber or floater also raises that lemming's priority.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2004, 05:19:14 PM »
Right... and that's the same as on the standard games... but what I'm saying is that the standard games also have a way to override this priority -- on the Mac, for instance, you hold down the option key as you click, and if there are two lemmings under the cursor and one of them is a walker, the walker will be selected, the opposite of what would normally happen.