Author Topic: Suggestions for a new Cheapo Copycat game  (Read 63149 times)

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for a new Cheapo Copycat game
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2004, 12:46:35 AM »
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! :'( :-( X_X

:disagree:
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Offline Essman

• View Profile
    • Ferret Face Games
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2004, 01:27:29 AM »
Quote from: DragonsLover  link=1100126896/30#30 date=1100652395
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! :'( :-( X_X

:disagree:

I only say that because I have no way to test the game on a Windows 98 machine. I can't give it out, saying that it requires Windows 98, without testing it out. Maybe it will work, or maybe I just need to change a few function calls to get it working. I don't know because I haven't seen or used a Windows 98 machine in many years.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2004, 11:38:45 AM »
Can't you distribute test copies to people such as myself who have 98 to test it for you? Hell, I didn't even know there was a Windows 2003 until you mentioned it just now..........

One more question/suggestion. How do I measure whether a fall from the initial window is survivable, i.e. what point of the window do I measure it from? And can this be made a bit more obvious in the next version?

Offline Essman

• View Profile
    • Ferret Face Games
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2004, 05:24:09 PM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1100126896/30#32 date=1100691525
Can't you distribute test copies to people such as myself who have 98 to test it for you? Hell, I didn't even know there was a Windows 2003 until you mentioned it just now..........

I don't want to give out copies before the coding is complete, when it's ready for "beta testing". This way there won't be unfinished copies floating around.

One more question/suggestion. How do I measure whether a fall from the initial window is survivable, i.e. what point of the window do I measure it from? And can this be made a bit more obvious in the next version?

In the current version, I guess all you can do is some trial and error. But that's a great idea for the next one. I'm going to make it draw a rectangle around each object's "hot spot". So there will be a rectangle for the exit, a point for the starting window, etc.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2004, 09:16:53 PM »
Quote from: Essman  link=1100126896/30#33 date=1100712249
I don't want to give out copies before the coding is complete, when it's ready for "beta testing". This way there won't be unfinished copies floating around.

That's what I meant, though -- at the beta testing stage.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2004, 12:22:33 AM »
Quote from: Essman  link=1100126896/30#31 date=1100654849
I only say that because I have no way to test the game on a Windows 98 machine. I can't give it out, saying that it requires Windows 98, without testing it out. Maybe it will work, or maybe I just need to change a few function calls to get it working. I don't know because I haven't seen or used a Windows 98 machine in many years.

I hope it will works! If not, luckely I will continue using the version you made... but some of you will be lucky using the new one and for me and Ahribar, we couldn't. :'(

That's strange that a remake of a simple classical game that runs under a old 386 computer couldn't work for a Win95 or Win98 user!

Well.. I hope it will works!

Offline Essman

• View Profile
    • Ferret Face Games
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2004, 12:31:02 AM »
Quote from: DragonsLover  link=1100126896/30#35 date=1100737353
That's strange that a remake of a simple classical game that runs under a old 386 computer couldn't work for a Win95 or Win98 user!

I was using this new program as an excuse to learn some new Windows programming concepts, rather than trying to make a game that everyone can use. Sorry about that.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2004, 12:32:07 AM »
That's ok! :-(

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2004, 01:04:15 PM »
I have a few more suggestions.

-- A (customisable) congratulation screen on completion of a set, or a series of linked sets

-- The option to set access codes for levels in sets (this would be done in the Set Manager window, and could not apply to Level 1 of a set)

-- A sketch for the size of a lemming, so that when I'm sketching builders I know whether they'll hit their heads (or die in flame-throwers just above them)

-- Sounds such as the builder's three clicks should be heard whether he's on screen or not

-- If you try to change the number of lemmings to fewer than the number to save, the error message that comes up should prompt you to re-enter a number at least equal to the number to save (rather than assuming it's the number to save that you got wrong)

-- The timer should stop rigidly on 0; as it is if the lemmings are coming in late you can get a few more in by fast-forwarding, which is unfair (and would be VERY unfair if levels were created that required this)

-- A command to left-right or top-bottom flip an entire level (with two options: including or not including the directionality of windows)

-- If you decrease the width or height of a level, a warning should appear if part of the level will be lost

-- Bombers, when they've reached the stage of screwing their heads up about to explode, should still fall if another bomber takes away the ground under them while they're doing this. (This makes a huge difference when nuking a level with a large number of lemmings!)

-- probably more when I remember them

EDIT: I've remembered two more. I'd like a keyboard shortcut that gets me from playing a level directly to the title page without going via the failure screen. And after success on a level, whether alone or in a set, there should be the option to play it again if you want.

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2004, 10:30:59 PM »
Quote from: Ahribar  link=1100126896/30#38 date=1101474255
-- If you try to change the number of lemmings to fewer than the number to save, the error message that comes up should prompt you to re-enter a number at least equal to the number to save (rather than assuming it's the number to save that you got wrong)

Rather than getting into the business of reading the user's mind, why not just say exactly what the error is?  ("error: number to save is more than total number of lemmings coming out")

« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2004, 10:37:06 PM »
-- The timer should stop rigidly on 0; as it is if the lemmings are coming in late you can get a few more in by fast-forwarding, which is unfair (and would be VERY unfair if levels were created that required this)

If memory serves right, I think in the original lemming game, lemmings that are exiting while the the screen is fading out still counts (and the fading out occurs only after the timer hits 0).  But fast forwarding definitely should not change how many lemmings you can get in.

Offline Essman

• View Profile
    • Ferret Face Games
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2004, 03:57:12 AM »
I have a few more suggestions.

Those are good suggestions and I'll probably implement them all, except for the hard-stop when the level timer hits 0. Like another post says, you can save lemmings as the level fades out. If I'm wrong, then fine, I'll make it right.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2004, 10:01:23 AM »
Thanks -- and guest is right about the fade-out, but he's also right that being able to save more in fast-forward (because the fade-out encompasses the same amount of real time, hence more game time) _is_ a major problem. You should make it like on the real game, where the fade-out lasts for the same amount of game time in normal and fast-forward.

piainp2

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2004, 03:34:48 PM »
here are a few of my suggestions (further down the list are the more "adventurous" ones)

-start the timer when the trapdoors are open NOT when the level begins

-have the ability to choose whether each set is open access (play any level in the set even if the previous levels haven't been beaten) or restricted access (only play the later levels if earlier levels have been beaten)

-have the choice wheather to have amount to save shown as a number or a percentage

-no replay glitches

-have the ability to play .dat and .lvl (lemedit) files

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2004, 03:52:27 PM »
-start the timer when the trapdoors are open NOT when the level begins

No, it's better to let it like normally. For all lemmings games, timer started when the level began.

-have the choice wheather to have amount to save shown as a number or a percentage

No! I prefer the number to save instead of a percentage. It's easier to see how many we have to save. If you put percentage: Imagine that you have to save 75% and then almost all lemmings are in the exit and you don't know how many died during the level. Then there's only 1 lemming left and you saved 72%. So, is that lemming counts for 1%, 2%, 3%? It depends on the number of lemmings in the level. And... &#A0;X_X
No, please, keep the number!

-no replay glitches

:agree:

-have the ability to play .dat and .lvl (lemedit) files

No, wait! LemEdit levels aren't compatible for Cheapo. The reason why is that levels of LemEdit uses specific graphic set and sets all terrain pieces in coordonates on the level. I don't know, really don't know, if it would be compatible on Cheapo... but if it is, it could be really hard to do. What do you think about that Peter?

Oh! And here's another suggestion:

Imagine you have to save all lemmings and then 1 lemming died. That way, you know that you failed the level. Why not putting a small window with this text inside when the game look that there's not enough lemming to complete the level:

"You failed the level! There's not enough lemmings to complete the level!"

Then, right under, put 2 buttons:

"Nuke them all and restart" + "Continue anyway"

Also, in the options of the game, turn on/off this window! What do you think about this?