Author Topic: Maximum Lemmings Saved Records  (Read 75121 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: Maximum Lemmings Saved Records
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2012, 11:02:07 PM »
Tseug missed one. On Genesis Present 2, you can save 45/50.

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2012, 11:14:36 PM »
Now that I've got Lemmings Revolution working on my new computer (thanks once again to GuyPerfect), I was able to find a new record:

Level 11-8 (Speedy Gonzalez): 100% (Previous record was 52/53).

The lemming that was lost in the 52/53 solution was the blocker that restrained the crowd at the top left while a lemming from below built a catch bridge to break their fall and ultimately hit the switch to drain the water.  This lemming can be saved as follows:

1.  Make him block as far to the left as possible.
2.  The lemming that builds the catch bridge only builds just once from a pixel-precise spot, such that the lemmings from above will fall on his top brick.
3.  When the blocker is bombed and the countdown reaches zero, he will fall off the left edge of the platform and land on the bridge you built earlier.  He lands just before he goes off, giving you an instant during which you can reset him with a builder, which will ultimately get the top group to trip the switch.

The bomber resetting glitch has been used in numerous other solutions, so there is nothing new with that.  The falling off the left side of the platform glitch is one that I've known about for a while (I once alluded to it here), but I'm pretty sure this is the first case of it actually being needed for a max-% solution.

The rest of the solution is largely the same as the intended 52/53 solution.  The only other tricky part is getting the timing right so that nobody falls in the water before it is drained.

Offline lyygak

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2013, 09:51:37 AM »
Oh no! More Lemmings
Wicked 7: 76/80

How on earth can you turn the right hatch lemmings to left without blocker?
So isn't it possible to save only 75/80? Or is there some megatrick involved?
Could someone explain the solution to me, I tried hard for half an hour and didn't manage to come up with a way...

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2013, 10:30:05 PM »
Oh no! More Lemmings

Could someone explain the solution to me, I tried hard for half an hour and didn't manage to come up with a way...

I have a possible theory... block the lemming in on the top and somehow use the blocker to create a hole. I really have no idea this would be nice to have an explanation. I assure you it is most-likely possible. Some of the players here have god-like powers...  ;P
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2013, 11:10:26 PM »
Oh no! More Lemmings

ccexplore revealed this one here, nothing too easy or obvious. :P

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2013, 10:52:33 AM »
Yeah, it uses a glitch that basically allows you to use the same lemming to both block as well as explode the terrain, even though normally you would lose the blocking if a lemming explodes.

Offline lyygak

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2013, 11:57:26 AM »
Anyone have a more detailed explanation of exactly how to do it?
I tried to blow a walker as close to a blocker as possible so the blocker shudders in the air and blows the next floor down.
Still there seems to be no "area" in the air that would turn the lemmings around :(
(A video of the solution is maybe too much to ask :P)

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2013, 12:15:34 PM »
In the PSP Lemmings, a bomber can turn a Lemmning around, when he's about to explode, but this is a normal thing and not a glitch.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline lyygak

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2013, 08:13:44 PM »
In the PSP Lemmings, a bomber can turn a Lemmning around, when he's about to explode, but this is a normal thing and not a glitch.

Sure but that is not the case here. I know you can blow the floor from under a lemming after you turn him around.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2013, 03:18:00 PM »
Anyone have a more detailed explanation of exactly how to do it?
I tried to blow a walker as close to a blocker as possible so the blocker shudders in the air and blows the next floor down.
Still there seems to be no "area" in the air that would turn the lemmings around :(
(A video of the solution is maybe too much to ask :P)

I have a Lemmix replay somewhere, as well as screenshots from way back when I found the solution before Lemmix ever existed.

But I'll have to turn on my old computer to find them, and you're so close anyway so I'll just try to explain with words:

Set it up so that the lemmings fall down to the blocker's arms, you'll notice that they get turned even as they are still falling, before they actually land.  Now apply the trick more or less like you did above.  The end result: lemmings fall down three levels, getting turned in mid-fall where the blocker used to be.

Offline lyygak

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2013, 10:48:48 PM »
Okay now I finally made it happen! It's extremely tricky!

Here's the solution (is this the same as yours ccexplore?):

Set Release Rate to 21 at start.
Set bomber to the first right-hatch lemming right as it comes out.
Set blocker to that lemming right on the edge of the floor.
Set bomber to the first left-hatch lemming about 1 tile before the right hatch.
About one second after that, set bomber to the second right-hatch lemming right as it comes out.
(The right-hatch lemming should be walking a bit ahead of the left-hatch lemming).
Set blocker to the right-hatch lemming after it falls so that its left hand is directly under the hole.
Now the left-hatch lemming should be blowing as close to the other one as possible so it falls before it explodes.
There is now an invisible "blocking-area" in the air that turns the rest of the lemmings to left as they fall.

Again, it's very difficult, took me over 20 minutes figuring out and 20 minutes trying to get it right.

Offline lyygak

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2013, 11:32:45 PM »
Video of the solution attached. DOSBox recording (you need its video codec to view).

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2013, 05:17:14 AM »
New Lemmings 3D record!  8)

Level 27 (Follow the Yellow Brick Road): 34/40 (the old record was 33/40).  The blocker at the beginning to save the lemmings that turn around before the bridge is completed is not necessary.  The first lemming climbs and digs while the second builds.  The third and fourth must also climb, and then a whole bunch of delay tactics are needed to keep them from climbing out of the tunnel.  What's worse is many of these moves must be made inside the tunnel, which means they essentially have to be done in VL mode.

I also fixed Level 33 (Shadow Maze) which erroneously said 36/40, when it should be 34/40.

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2014, 03:38:25 AM »
I wasn't expecting to be updating this thread, but a recent playthrough of L3D has yielded a couple more records:

Level 52 (Team Work): 80/80 (previously 79/80), involving a ridiculous backroute (see spoiler).

Quote from: Spoilers
The first lemming builds 2x immediately after turning off of the OWW.  Another bashes through his bridge so that nobody follows.  The builder hits his head and turns around, at which point he immediately builds in the opposite direction.  He should reach the top of the OWW and slide down the rope slide.  Bash through the OWW to free the crowd and build 2x over the second OWW to the exit.

Also, last week I updated the record for Level 18 (Corkscrew Digger) to 69 70/80 (previously 68/80).  This one is much more complex and precise, so I'm not going to waste time writing up the solution unless it is requested.

Edit: Got another one, Level 70 (The Hanger): 76/80 (previously 75/80).  Again, solution available upon request.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 05:43:58 AM by LemSteven »

Offline DoubleU

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2014, 05:42:37 PM »
Call me a stick-in-the-mud or whatever, but I wouldn't count anything that required a glitch to solve, unless that "glitch" was absolutely necessary to merely pass the level.  (I imagine that discounts a number of solutions, but I'm fine with that, unless someone can explain why I shouldn't be.  I'm open to suggestions.)