Author Topic: Maximum Lemmings Saved Records  (Read 75094 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: Maximum Lemmings Saved Records
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2012, 01:23:05 PM »
What was your solution to "Compression Method 1"? As i'm aware, this is another one in which the DOS 100% solution involves bashing away the top few rows of pixels of the steel area in a way that you can't do on the Mac.

Thanks for reminding me -- Taxing 6 and Taxing 16 are the other ccexplore records I still need to confirm for myself. For the former, the Mac record is lose 1 and I think I've got the basic method. Make the first lemming from the leftmost trapdoor immediately dig; make the second lemming from this trapdoor immediately bash (using option-click). Because he's only 3px deep, he'll stop bashing when he's connected the first and second groups. Also, make the digger bash when he's deep enough to contain the crowd. He'll stop after just one stroke. Then, wait until all lemmings are out, and make one from the third group bash right. When he's partway across, make one from the fourth group bash right. The idea is that opening the gap between the third and fourth groups at the right time will make the lemmings of the fourth group all be heading left for a while, giving the basher time to explode just after falling off the edge without any other lemmings dying. I've confirmed that the explosion works, I just haven't got the timing right yet (my best is lose 3 -- and hey, that's still an improvement on Ephraim's score for this level!).

EDIT: Confirmed that the basher isolation is possible, and therefore lose 1 is possible with the method described. Now I just need to time the basher and bomber correctly in the same run....

DONE IT! For the record, the correct timing is to start the rightmost basher when the other basher is just past halfway by the tiniest fraction, and likewise, assign bomber when the rightmost basher is just past halfway.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2012, 09:47:04 PM »
Wild 12 doesn't like me. I understand that the key to the 100% solution is to find a precise spot, just after the rise in the ground right of the steam-blower, where with 2 builders you can avoid hitting the icicle and reach a vertical part of the snow wall on the right, high enough to ascend and bash through to the exit. I've worked out all the rest of the details, so I have the 100% solution apart from finding this precise spot. And I've had enough tries at it that I'm beginning to doubt such a spot exists on the Mac version  :'(

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2012, 10:29:30 PM »
One notable game-mechanics difference I recall on the Mac is that the basher can continue bashing even if the terrain is only 5 (low-res) pixels above ground level, whereas most other versions (DOS, Amiga, SNES, etc.) requires 6.  In other words, whereas in most versions you need to dig down 6 times before bashing can continue on unstopped on flat ground, in Mac you only need to dig down 5 times for the same to happen.

On the other hand, in many of those 6-required versions, there's also the quirk that bashers only does the "stop if nothing to bash ahead" check every other stroke, so that discounting steel or falls, a lemming would always bash an odd number of strokes before stopping, always continuing on for at least one more stroke after an even number of strokes.  The Mac version does not have that quirk, thus making it more prone to stopping.

Finally, the DOS version has a very outrageous difference whereby the one-way wall is completely non-functional (note: this doesn't work in Lemmix due to known issue with its emulation).  That said, the 100% solution I found never took advantage of that.

I'm not sure how these differences may or may not play out on the Mac version.  If I have a chance this week I can give it a try and let you know.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2012, 10:51:46 PM »
The one-way wall on Wild 12 is fake on the Mac too.

I'm also stuck on Wild 15, but then, looking back at posts on the old forum, it seems you were stumped by this level on the Mac too :) The main problem is that you can't activate the digger close enough to the steel for him to continue digging all the way down. You said something about having other solutions that might allow lose-3 on the Mac, but I don't know the details. Also, for some reason, I haven't yet succeeded in not "leaking" one lemming in the first part of the level, even when following LemSteven's description of the solution precisely.

These two are the last remaining levels in Crazy and Wild -- for all others, I've confirmed that the PC version results can be duplicated on the Mac.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2012, 11:55:41 PM »
I'm also stuck on Wild 15, but then, looking back at posts on the old forum, it seems you were stumped by this level on the Mac too :) The main problem is that you can't activate the digger close enough to the steel for him to continue digging all the way down. You said something about having other solutions that might allow lose-3 on the Mac, but I don't know the details. Also, for some reason, I haven't yet succeeded in not "leaking" one lemming in the first part of the level, even when following LemSteven's description of the solution precisely.

I believe (not 100% sure though) I eventually got one working solution for Wild 15 lose-2 on the Mac, but aside from that one, all other solutions found on DOS Lemmings does not work on the Mac due to various tiny but critical differences.  For example, the digging doesn't work as you noted, because only DOS Lemmings allows the digging to continue with so few terrain pixels under the digger.  Solutions that involves building up to the top of the steel and bashing through it fails to work on the Mac, IIRC not because of the steel per se, but because of the basher difference I noted in my previous post, that they are more prone to stop on Mac version.  (In this case due to the half-"hole" right above the steel.)

I think the solution I came up with for the Mac requires the glitch of using a blocker to disable the trap.  I forgot the details, but you need to create a setup where you have two lemmings compressed (via blockers and some RR-jiggering) nearly to the same location, walking towards the trap, then have one of them block when close enough to the trap trigger so that the blocker field cancels the trap trigger, allowing the other one to pass safely.  Eventually the blockers are freed with a basher.  You get through the final obstacle using one basher and 2 bombers.

I don't know if I have a Lemmix replay of this solution, but I'll do my best to either find it or re-create it and post it here for reference.

Offline Frevett

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2012, 11:58:18 PM »
The latest game update on the PS3 version removed highscores (I have no idea why), so now you can't see what the most lemmings anyone's saved on each level is (or fastest times, or even how many you've saved). Here's a list of what's possible in each level:

Trial:
1) 5/5
2) 5/5
3) 5/10
4) 5/5
5) 2/3

Fun:
1) 100/100
2) 4/4
3) 8/10
4) 2/2
5) 21/20
6) 10/10
7) 2/2
8) 3/3
9) 19/20
10) 3/3

Tricky:
1) 100/100
2) 5/5
3) 10/10
4) 99/100
5) 2/2
6) 4/4
7) 40/40
8) 2/2
9) 100/100
10) 100/100

Taxing:
1) 5/5
2) 10/10
3) 19/20
4) 4/4
5) 3/3
6) 8/10
7) 10/10
8) 4/4
9) 9/10
10) 10/10

Mayhem:
1) 100/100
2) 100/99
3) 5/4
4) 8/10
5) 100/100
6) 100/100
7) 10/10
8) 100/100
9) 100/100
10) 50/50

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2012, 09:19:35 PM »
Lemmings Revolution: 11/7 "Don't let them Out" just seems like 100% should be possible.

You have 49/50. If the lemming you loose is the one that has to mine/dig a hole into the water to kill the weasels, this possibly can be saved; using the miner trick where you can build while mining but leave a small hole.
normally, he will turn around and drown but (I need to try this yet) it could be possible if you build near the door he will turn around and keep building and possibly leave a gap for the weasels to go in.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2012, 11:51:41 PM »
I've now separately confirmed all the steps of the 100% solution to Wild 12 on Mac. I used ccexplore's route, bashing underneath the level.

Offline GuyPerfect

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2012, 05:55:29 AM »
I was able to complete a level with 100% and no glitches!

Lemmings Revolution 12-5
No clues ...hee hee hee hee!

Skills used:
  • 1 Climber
  • 20 Builder
  • 2 Basher
  • 3 Miner
  • 3 Digger

Here's how I did it, in picture form! Some of these steps require perfect precision, so I've put some notes next to those.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3 - Dig down exactly 16 notches before building to stop the digging.
Part 4 - Dig through the fourth plank from the left on the lower level. Timing is important for the Weasels.
Part 5 - Start building on the third step from the top. Do not allow the bridge to extend when you use the second Builder.
Part 6
Part 7 - Pause for precision here. There's only one spot this can work and if you miss it, you get to start over.
Part 8 - Unlike before, this time the bridge MUST extend when you use the second Builder.
Part 9 - Don't start building too far to the left or it will block Climber access later. I used the fifth step from the top.
Part 10 - The first swing from the Miner needs to cut away only half the wall.
Part 11
Part 12 - There's a slight step down before the hole. Start building on that.
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15

And as that last picture shows, there's still 1:16 left on the clock after it's all said and done!

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2012, 07:32:03 PM »
Using GuyPerfect's idea, I have a similar method that saves 2 builders but uses more miners. I also used 2 worker lemmings to save time.
(in either case you can now update the list in that this level can be solved 100% without a glitch! (the previous method being freeing a falling/landing bomber glitch  :XD:))
-this method could be possibly be improved to save time and skills-

Skills used:

2 Climber
    18 Builder (?)
    2 Basher
    8 Miner
    2 Digger(?)

1- first use 2 builders to build up from the entrance area.
2- Here's where there are two ways to separate 1 or 2 (I used 2 to save time) worker lemmings.

-start bashing left and have another lemming mine the steps at the very top so a lemming could climb up later.

-OR let all the lemming come through the bashing tunnel and make a lemming a block at the end letting 2 through. (You can free the blocker later by digging and mining or bashing or building)

3-when 1 of your worker lemmings comes to the end of the steel hallway mine him at the end (just missing the steel)

4- he comes to the area where the weasels are, turns, and walks all the way around, down to the lower area. (see picture) Dig at the spot near the vertical column underneath so he and/or your other worker can climb back up.

5-if you have another worker, make him mine in the spot shown in the picture. (This is to delay the weasels later.) (If you're only using 1 worker you'll have to do this later). build at some point to stop him so he doesn't break through. Now we'll let him walk back and forth safely in the area for a while while the other works.

6- (Lem1 below) mine through the other thin column (you will probably need the 1 basher later)

7-build over the water (this takes 2)

8-build up to the shorter tall platform (this takes 2)

9-build up to the taller tall platform (this takes 2), then build twice again up to the ceiling where the balloon is to turn around.

10-let this lemming walk back the way he came and make him a climber so he climbs up the hole you made and back up to the top. When he gets to the right most wall (underneath where all the other lemmings are, mine into the ground so he can't climb up to a dangerous height

11-While he is walking back, at any time when the first is walking back to the right and away from the weasel's area; have your other worker mine for exactly 1 and only 1 stroke into the wall holding the weasels in. Then immediately build to stop mining and pass by the weasels safely. You'll probably need two builders to pass the weasels.

12- the weasels will walk away and down into the tunnel you mined earlier. While they are doing that, have your worker mine down left into the steps your other worker build underneath. when he gets down build one near the ceiling to turn him around and he will follow the path the other just took. while walking to the right make him a climber to escape.

13-The weasels will come back to the area near the balloon and fall down the mine hole then into the area with the laser gate and trip it.

14-have your two worker lems build over the holes you've made (there should be two, then free the rest of the lemmings by either building over the gap you made at the beginning or freeing a blocker.

notes:

-usually for some reason, (this should be solved easily by timing in the beginning) the worker lemming at the top is always at the exact position relative to the weasels so that if you go through the wall he will come in contact with one of them immediately. So I had to delay him before beginning.

-having one worker saves skills but uses more time.
whew!
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline GuyPerfect

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2012, 09:53:05 PM »
Was also able to get a glitchless 100% on 9-5: Hit 'n' Run

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2012, 01:04:51 AM »
I just improved Lemmings Revolution Level 12-9 (Turn on! Tune in! Switch on!) to 99/100!  8)

Quote from: Spoiler
1. Set the RR to 1 for both entrances.
2. Make the first right-facing lemming a miner when he gets off the steel.
3. Make the first left-facing lemming a miner through the diggable floor at the left.  He has to mine as soon as he can without hitting steel.
4. When the first miner finishes, assign climbers to him and the lemming immediately behind him.  You can now safely set the left entrance RR to 99.
5. When the second miner finishes and turns around, make him bash.  He should be just below the steel on the right.
6. All of the lemmings from the left entrance are heading to an emptied water tank with an anti-gravity pad.  The last lemming going this way has to build over the pad so that he's not inverted.  Also make him a climber+floater.
7. When your basher from step 5 is finished, let him drop down to the steel and make him block (don't let him wander too far -- you need to keep the crowd compressed).  At this point you can set the right entrance RR to 99.
8. The two climbers you assigned earlier should climb a wall that the others will turn around on.  When the first reaches the ceiling with the switch to the right, make him a blocker.
9. The second climber turns off the blocker, drops one level, and builds from the small step.  When he is done, he will eventually head back toward the crowd, but keep an eye on him.
10. The bridge you just built will catch the third climber when he falls.  This lemming will go into the area with the three switches.  He must hit all three switches, digging when necessary.  He will eventually be trapped by the third switch.  Ignore him for now.
11. Watch the second climber, who is heading back toward the crowd.  When he reaches the anti-gravity pad and flips right-side up, immediately bomb the first climber/blocker.  Make him a builder before he goes off so that he doesn't die.
12. Make the third climber bash to free him from his prison.
13. When the builder runs out of bricks and "drops" (rises?) off his bridge, bomb the blocker holding back the crowd.  If all of the timing is right, the bomber should go off right as the second climber returns, and the first climber will flip all of the switches at the right time.
14. Use one final builder to get to the exit.

Offline GuyPerfect

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2012, 01:20:52 AM »
I did ample experimentation on that level just a couple nights ago. What I found was that A) both diggers were required to open up the path to the exit and B) no other combination of digging and/or bombing could group the Lemmings together tightly enough to allow them all to cross the on/off platforms in time without losing any. If you could delay the inverted Lemming that'd be fine, but there aren't enough skills for that.

It is my belief that you absolutely, undoubtedly, without exception *must* blast a Blocker on steel in order to keep all of the Lemmings in a wad. I don't believe 100% is possible.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2012, 05:05:54 PM »
Here are my results from Covox Lemmings and the Official Lemmings Companion:

Covox Lemmings

Tricky 2: 20/21

The Official Lemmings Companion

Fun 2: 79/80
Tricky 2: 73/80
Taxing 4: 79/80
Mayhem 3: 77/80

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2012, 04:51:29 AM »
Ack! I found a typo in my original post: Lemmings 3D level 31 (A Head Above the Rest) should have been 31/50 instead of 41/50, since the regular route uses 19 turners.

However, that score is now improved to 36/50 because I found a backroute.  I can provide details if anyone is interested.