Author Topic: what's this karma thing?  (Read 4300 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
what's this karma thing?
« on: April 22, 2011, 02:13:18 AM »
 ???

Never noticed it before, I think it's part of the forum updates.  I have a guess about it but best let Adam actually explain.

[note: you have to be logged in to see it, under the user info displayed on each post at the left]

Offline Adam

• Just one more level....
    • View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
Re: what's this karma thing?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 02:39:59 AM »
I'm glad you've ntoiced it, ccexplore!

Karma, basically is a bit like a post rating system. If you like a post, you press the up arrow, if you dislike a post / think it's spam / off topic, you press the down arrow.

Hopefully, it'll help keep some members on the straight and narrow.

So, if, say, for instance somebody posted a piece of info you requested, you could thank them by pressing the up arrow, and if someone disrupts the flow of a thread, you can press the down arrow!

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 07:15:08 AM »
I can see this being very open to abuse. Still, I think we can trust most people here to use it properly, so it's worth a try I guess.

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 01:24:16 PM »
T'won't be abused. The administrator will make sure of that.
This Lemmings forum is simply *fabulous*!

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 09:42:02 PM »
I can see this being very open to abuse. Still, I think we can trust most people here to use it properly, so it's worth a try I guess.

I see what you're saying here and I agree, but it's quite nice to know that anonymous guests can't use this function.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Adam

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 10:04:56 PM »
If I didn't trust you here, I wouldn't have put it on the forum. I'm not expecting the negative vote to be used much, to be honest. Just the positive stuff.

I believe it is possible for me to find out who's been voting for whom, but I'd only do that if someone reported abuse.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 12:24:24 AM »
Is it possible to just have a "net" karma (positive votes minus negative votes)? I don't like the idea of negative points sticking forever.

Offline Adam

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 12:25:01 AM »
I'll look into it.. may take a bit of work, though. :)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 10:41:38 PM »
I just thought of an idea. If someone 'likes a post' should we display an automatic comment on the post saying something like '1 person likes this post'? Because at the moment we don't actually know which posts have been liked. :-\ This concept has been used in other forums.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 12:06:44 AM »
I don't have like nor dislike to your post above ;P, but given the Adam situation, I'm just not expecting any forum changes anytime soon. :-\

I guess if someone really like or dislike a post, (s)he will probably end up replying accordingly to the post anyway, otherwise the like/dislike is probably more of a "meh".  One exception may be things like challenges, in which case number of downloads of an attached replay should give an idea of popularity.

Offline Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 07:59:38 AM »
No offense but I think it's pointless. I don't know why people like it. I don't mind it places where you post comments like Youtube or Yahoo, but in a forums I don't think it's necessary and leaving dislikes on a post can make people angry.
Mr. Lemmings PSP user.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 09:13:59 AM »
I'm also a member of Caravel Forums, which has a similar system and there it works well. So why doesn't it work here? We're a much smaller forum, and (excluding the 400-odd members who've signed up but never post) we all get on well together. So no-one is actually using the system; even ccexplore only has 16 karma after nearly three years. Which, in turn, makes it much more upsetting when you do lose a point, because it's mainly luck as to whether you'll ever get it back.

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 01:06:52 AM »
On the other forum I go onto (ocd action) we have a thanks button which is very similiar to that one also where if you like someones post you can thank them. I don't think it will get abused if that's the right word to use.