Author Topic: All the levels in spreadsheet format  (Read 21395 times)

Offline finlay

• View Profile
All the levels in spreadsheet format
« on: March 14, 2011, 09:07:07 PM »
EDIT: here's the link, which is different from what it used to be because I changed the folder structure of my dropbox:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15543016/lem/Lemmings%20Levels.xls

-----

I have no idea if this has been done already, but I've been compiling all the levels into a spreadsheet for perusal. Source for Lemmings 2 and Holiday Lemmings was tle.vaarties.nl ; source for Genesis lemmings was half playing it through myself and half harvested from Planet Lemmings (or whichever one they get the screenshots from in the review thread).

The others are either harvested straight from the data files that come with the Mac version (which are essentially the same as the DOS version except for Tricky 21 and Taxing 22, where the goal is 100%) or come about as a result of me actually playing through the game. Lemmings Paintball is still a work in progress, however; I couldn't find a source on the internet with a list, so I decided to start playing through the game myself. I'm only up to Tricky 20-something (and the game's at my dad's because he has a windows pc, so I can't keep playing it).

It doesn't include Lemmings 3 because that game has no level titles, or indeed skills in the same sense. It doesn't include Revolution because I don't have access to it. I do have the PS2 version of Lemmings, so I should probably remember to play through the unique levels of that and add them. I don't have the PS3 version, however.

Anyway, I've highlighted quite a few of the cells, often automatically, basically where I think it's noteworthy or unusual. So, for instance, with number of Lemmings, 80 and 50 lemming levels are left with no highlighting but anything inbetween is given a colour, as they're unusual. Yellow cells in the skills columns are 0 - they're highlighted because I used to have each cell filled in with the numeral 0 and needed a way of visually distinguishing them easily, but for various reasons, mostly involving the calculated "Count" field which shows at a glance how many different skills are provided in each level, or how many levels each skill is provided in. For the Genesis version, I've highlighted new levels in blue, and changed levels in red.

I've added comments for the original/ONML levels, as well.

As for Lemmings 2, it's quite big, and only just fits on my rather large screen, but I've set the header and level info to be fixed, so that if you scroll, only the skills move. This should hopefully make it easier to read.

Also, if you try to sort it, be careful, because there are a few lines at the bottom calculating the average and so on, and these could be messed up if you moved them around, so select all the data before you do a sort on them.

Anyway, have a look through it; if you see any glaring errors, let me know! :D Hope you enjoy. (If you can't view Excel files, let me know and i'll upload an exported version or something)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15543016/lem/Lemmings%20Levels.xls

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: All the levels in spreadsheet format
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 12:12:01 AM »
Wow, someone's having a whole lot of free time lately. ;P  I sure hope having all this free time is a voluntary situation!

It's obviously pretty impressive.  I don't completely buy your argument about omitting Lemmings 3 though.  It didn't stop you from excluding including Lemmings Paintball even though skills don't exist at all for that game!  TLE was not bothered by the lack of level titles in Lemmings 3 either (it just refers to the levels by number).  And while it doesn't capture the whole story due to the pick-up nature of the skills, it is still possible to list the number of skills in terms of the total amount of each type scattered across the level.

[edit: fix double negative]

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 02:37:26 PM »
Nice work! I can help you on extending this document with all the data from Master system Lemmings, if you want  :thumbsup:

Offline Adam

• Just one more level....
    • View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 05:23:49 PM »
Sorry Ron! Started work on adding the Master System stuff before you posted.

Attached in both XLS and XLSX formats. :)

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 06:40:01 PM »
Wow, someone's having a whole lot of free time lately. ;P  I sure hope having all this free time is a voluntary situation!

It's obviously pretty impressive.  I don't completely buy your argument about omitting Lemmings 3 though.  It didn't stop you from excluding including Lemmings Paintball even though skills don't exist at all for that game!  TLE was not bothered by the lack of level titles in Lemmings 3 either (it just refers to the levels by number).  And while it doesn't capture the whole story due to the pick-up nature of the skills, it is still possible to list the number of skills in terms of the total amount of each type scattered across the level.

[edit: fix double negative]
Meh, TLE has screenshots, though. I don't. I mean I suppose I could list all the skills on the level playing field but it's a bit more of a nebulous figure – the only direct variable in my eyes is the time limit. Paintball has level names and quantifiable stats that come up at the beginning of the level.

As for the free time, I guess it's both voluntary and involuntary... ??? :P

And SMS lemmings, awesome  :thumbsup:

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 10:37:56 PM »
Updated my version to include the SMS levels (slightly altered from Adam's version). I'm also going to update it with more Paintball levels at some point and with the unique levels from the PSP/PS2 version. (also, if I can get ahold of an eyetoy webcam, I'd be able to play the extra PS2 levels......)

Offline Adam

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 11:33:27 PM »
If you want any help with the PSP levels, Finlay, feel free to give me a shout. :)

Offline Adam

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 12:44:45 AM »
Just done some more updates to the spreadsheet. Thanks to Finlay for the hints & tips.

Offline Adam

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 05:06:13 PM »
Again, another addition here.. added the Mega Drive codes to the Genesis page. :)

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 11:42:11 PM »
Cool. I'm working my way through the PS2 version now.

I've also just realised that the reason I had some levels with 0 lemmings in the 2-player Amiga levels was because I was using Lemedit to read the data from them, which only has a two-digit entry field (they should have read 100). I dunno why that didn't occur to me. *facepalm*

Anyway, as I update it I'm just saving it to dropbox, which updates the online download automatically. I'll let you know when I'm finished so that you don't end up with a half-complete one. ;)

edit: done.

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 02:34:37 AM »
Here's another update.  I've made a few minor changes to the L3D page to reflect the DOS version.  But more importantly, I've added all of the data for Lemmings Revolution.  :)

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 02:50:29 PM »
Great!

With L3D, it's actually best to note explicitly where they differ, and I'd prefer to keep the PSX version as the reference point, since I spent a while on that one (whenever it was, might be a year or two ago now) – although it may well be the case that the DOS version came before the PSX version, so meh. The graphics on TLE seem to be "better" than the PSX version, but that doesn't prove anything to me. :P Anyway, I've worked in the changes to the comments column. (The one I haven't changed is the tileset thing with the snow level that I've marked garden and you marked army – I think this is more to do with the flag that comes up at the start of the level, and unless I wrongly marked it and it's actually army, I'm sure it came up as garden. Snow should probably be a different tileset anyway, strictly speaking. It's also to do with the music in the level, which are definitely organised by theme.)

(That said, I was thinking I should probably change it around so that the Amiga is the reference point for L1 and ONML....)

Offline Adam

• View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 05:11:24 PM »
Just a suggestion.. there are two sets of codes for the Genesis version.. do you think it'd be worth adding the other set in?

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 05:38:25 PM »
I just did some research on Fun 14 in L3D, and it looks the level theme is different in the PS2 and DOS versions.  Specifically, the DOS version uses the Army theme, while the PS2 version uses the Garden theme.

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 06:47:49 PM »
Just a suggestion.. there are two sets of codes for the Genesis version.. do you think it'd be worth adding the other set in?
Didn't you do this already? Unless you mean two different sets in that each level has two codes and you could randomly be shown one or the other, in which case, no, I don't. After all, there are many possible codes for each original Lemmings level and I haven't bothered listing all of those. It's enough to have one, because then you can still get to any level.

@LemSteven: ah! I've noted that in. And changed "Tileset" to "Theme" to make it explicit that the snow levels aren't a separate group anyway. Also it's on the PSX (ie playstation one/PS1) rather than the PS2, just to be pedantic. I know it's probably my fault for mixing them up in the comments or something! :P (Maybe because the PS2 can still play PS1 games and I only have a PS2...)