Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 7643 times)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Minecraft
« on: October 25, 2010, 09:38:05 PM »
This game is already incredibly popular, despite still being in Alpha. Basically you get a huge sandbox world, where you dig for resources, build cool things and battle the undead. The graphics style is reminiscent of Lemmings 3D, with the landscape comically rendered in huge blocks, and with wacky physics to boot.

Sadly it isn't free (otherwise I'd be playing it already :P), and apparently the price is going up soon, so if this looks like your sort of thing then you might want to consider picking it up soon... and as a bonus, all future updates are free (at least that's what we're told) once you buy it. There are tutorials and Let's Play's galore on Youtube, so it's easy enough to find out more ;)

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 10:53:19 PM »
I bought a state-of-the-art, insanely expensive gaming PC and now I've ended up just playing Minecraft more than anything else.  WAY TOO ADDICTING.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 05:33:51 AM »
Some of the things that have been built in this game are just stunning. Like:

- A model of the Earth
- A full scale relpica of the Starship Enterprise (from Star Trek)
- A rudimentary computer, using the extremely complicated electricity mechanics in the game

No wonder this game is so popular - the level of emergent gameplay is incredible.

Also, there's now a super-freaky alternate dimension to explore :scared:

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 03:57:27 AM »
Minecraft will be entering Beta on December 20, which means the price goes up - albeit not by much. Also, it looks like you might have to buy it during Alpha to be guaranteed free updates forever. Which is a little mean, but hey, it's not my game, the developer can do what he likes with it. I do think you'll be hard pressed to find a better value-for-money game right now though (besides free/pirated games of course :P)

I did buy the game myself, about a month ago in fact, but I've really just been messing around and experimenting with things. I'm hesitant to start a serious game until a couple of key bugs are fixed (non-falling leaves, strangely connected portals, that sort of thing). However, I built something that you might all enjoy ;) (pic attached):

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 03:46:43 AM »
There are now one million Minecrafters! (edit: link removed, the site is no longer up) I'm #7178, if you're curious to see what my guy looks like ;)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 03:43:48 AM »
Theres a problem with the skins but my brother bryan has the full version of the game my brother and I created a skin my brothers skin is some one from Organization XIII (Kingdom hearts) Mine is unused but its Sonic the hedgehog

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 03:35:40 AM »
Started up a survival server with some of my local friends.

This is our base from above ground.

Underground is a ton of tunnels and rooms, including my base within a base that includes a reed farm, tree farm, and locked vault.

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 07:26:32 PM »
If you want i could play online i need a Sever number can you give me one

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 10:26:11 PM »
Just bought this. ADDICTING.
Don't expect to see me for a while.  :P

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 02:25:57 AM »
No kidding
____/-/
___/-/
__/-/
/----------->
|----------->
|----------->
|----------->

/\
Thumbs up  :thumbsup:
I had to post this

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 03:09:59 AM »
^ Whoa, stealth edit! Yep, that one's a classic :D

This game just hit 2 million sales, which means its following has doubled in 3-and-a-half months :o

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 01:02:41 AM »
Presenting

Giga's Challenges
Adventure your way through
-House defending
-Cave Dwelling
-Land crossing
-Mountain hiking
-Monster killing
Adventures
                                         Episode 1
                       Alex Craftens unfinished house
                                   Now avable

Episode 2
                                  Underground trip
                                    Is now here
WinRar Needed

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 02:59:07 PM »
I restarted my Minecraft server and I'm making it more public.  If anyone would like to play on it just send me a message to get the IP (not just posting it to keep the server from getting overwhelmed by bots or stuff)

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 09:19:53 AM »
Started playing this again a little, and this just showed up on the title screen :D

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 01:45:13 AM »
Sorry for the bump, but I didn't want to start a new Minecraft-related thread when there's already a pre-existing one.

4J Studios, the folks behind the Xbox 360 version of Minecraft, confirmed the obvious, and stated that the PS Vita version of Minecraft will be using the same codebase as the Xbox 360, PS3, and PS4 versions, instead of being based on the severely cut-down Pocket Edition.

Aside from Lemmings Touch having managed to melt away my cynicism about it and how Sony has treated the franchise thus far (really, it's the first properly new, non-remake Lemmings title, since, what, Revolution?), Minecraft is one of several other games that's sold me on getting a PS Vita, so I was really happy to see that.

Also, since it's based on the same code as the Xbox 360 version (which I've been quite impressed by, on the occasions that I've gotten to check it out), that means character skin-packs as DLC. Bets on a lemming being one of those skins, anyone? :D Ok, probably not a high chance, but there could still be one...