Author Topic: Nuzlocke Run  (Read 3642 times)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
Nuzlocke Run
« on: November 28, 2013, 04:55:22 AM »
(Good Arceus it has been Long since I have made a new topic)
For those of you who played Pokémon before you have probably heard of a Nuzlocke run
For what I believe The Nuzlocke Run originated on 4chan which was known as Pokémon Ruby: Hard mode
The name formed if I can remember was from A seedot named Locke which later evolved into a Nuzleaf

The Rules

1. If a Pokémon faints it is considered dead and must be Perma-boxed or Released
2.You could only capture the first Pokémon on a Route If that chance fails You can no longer capture any Pokémon on that route
  A.one option is dupes clause which gives you another chance to find something new
  B.Another is Shiny clause which is when a Shiny Pokémon appears you may choose to Capture And/or use it
3.This is commonly reffered to as Unwritten but you must Nickname all the Pokémon you captured They are you Best friends 'til they die

There are many variants and extra rules (other than putting the style on "SET") people add to make the challenge harder
For Example
Extra Rules
1. Level limit, your Pokémon can't be a higher level than the Gym Leader/Champion's Strongest Pokémon, if that happens you can no longer use that Pokémon
2. Items, You could limit the amount of  items you could buy from marts or, You could Restrict the way you use items
Variants
1. Egglocke, For each Pokémon you've capture you have to swap it for an egg in your PC
2. Wedlocke, Only Two Pokémon (1 male, 1 female) can battle No Genderless Pokémon can be used

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Nuzlocke Run
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 06:45:02 AM »
I've never tried a Nuzlocke Run on Pokemon games (I've heard of it plenty of times though), but I've done a LOT of self-imposed challenges on Final Fantasy X. Started with the basic "No Sphere Grid" game, then, like most of the FFX community at the time, I went overboard - but rather than trying to solve the existing challenges (No Sphere Grid, No Summon, No Customize, No Overdrives was the big one at the time), I preferred to invent my own. Most notably, I was the first to attempt and the first to beat both the No Sphere Grid, No Summoning, No Items challenge and the No Sphere Grid, Rikku-Only challenge (I believe I'm still one of only two people to ever beat the latter).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 06:54:30 AM »
I am a Pokemon fan and have heard of a nuzlocke run. I gave it a run but I just didn't like the idea that if a Pokemon faints that's him/her dead. It just gets tedious after your highest levelled Pokemon faints.

We could do this idea to the Original Lemmings, although we will unfortunately have to change some of the level properties to make this work (let alone having to give all 80 lemmings a nickname :P). Lemmings 2 and 3 are similar enough I guess, minus the nicknames.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 07:25:31 AM »
Trying to apply one challenge concept across different games, particularly in different genres, just doesn't work that well. For example, initial equipment works fine for an RPG, but go try playing a Grand Theft Auto game with the initial equipment rule... =P

For Lemmings, we already have a pretty damn good selection of challenges to pick from, and plenty of levels to do it on - a lot of the challenges don't cover even the Xmas/Holiday lemmings games, let alone other games that are mostly based on the original Lemmings formula (other-platform versions of Lemmings with unique levels (PS3 comes to mind), Lemmings Revolution, you could possibly argue L3D somewhat fits the definition (although even in the lower difficulties, L3D levels are often built to a standard of "give the player exactly what they need" and, aside from a few levels - including the final one! - having horrific backroutes, it's generally one solution per level)), and even when those run out we have plenty of fan levels to turn to - there's a decent number of packs comparable in size to the original games (the Lemmings Plus packs, PimoLems, Revenge of the Lemmings) and then all the small packs or individually-released levels... we pretty much have plenty of ways to challenge ourselves as it is.

Though the idea of going through the original games losing as few lemmings as possible is an interesting one...
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 02:14:36 PM »
We could do this idea to the Original Lemmings

Can some elaborate on above for benefit of those like me who have absolutely zero concept of the gameplay involved in Pokémon games?  The nuzlocke rules might as well have been written in alien Chinese to me--the games seem so different just from the rules descriptions, I'm at a total lost figuring out how anything can carry over to Lemmings? ???

Though the idea of going through the original games losing as few lemmings as possible is an interesting one...

I must be missing something here, but isn't the above just the same as saving maximum number of lemmings in every level?  AKA the earliest challenge ever for Lemmings? ???

I have to say though that I'm surprised to hear how restrictive the L3D levels are challenge-wise.  That is one Lemmings game I still haven't played yet, perhaps it's a sign I should try it soon, either to convince myself of or disprove the claim.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 02:27:35 PM »
While it's not overly challenging, it's great fun. I'd highly reccomend it.
My Lemmings projects

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 05:23:26 PM »
Well speaking of this
although I didn't have time to do this last night but when I have done this on my Sapphire
Here is What I had before going against the Elite four
Kipper the Swampert (Male) Level 56
Brick Break
Ice Beam
Earth Quake
Surf
Arkham the Crobat (Female) Level 56
Fly
Poison Fang
Return
Toxic
Rao the Ninetails (Female) Level 55
Flamethrower
Fire Blast
Iron Tail
Confuse ray
Camo The Kecleon (Male) Level 55
Substitute
Focus Punch
Shadow Ball
Ancient Power
Cloud9 the Altaria (Male) Level 55
Fly
Dragon Dance
Dragon Claw
Earth Quake
& last but not least
Thorn the Cacturne (Female) Level 55
Giga Drain
Leach Seed
Needle Arm
Sandstorm

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 11:29:10 PM »
I must be missing something here, but isn't the above just the same as saving maximum number of lemmings in every level?  AKA the earliest challenge ever for Lemmings? ???

I have to say though that I'm surprised to hear how restrictive the L3D levels are challenge-wise.  That is one Lemmings game I still haven't played yet, perhaps it's a sign I should try it soon, either to convince myself of or disprove the claim.

I'm guessing the concept is treating it like L2 and go into the next level with however many lemmings you saved from the last. Strictly speaking you'd start with only 10 in OL since level 1 of Original has only 10  :P Hey, wait, maybe that could actually be sort of interesting...  :-\

-pokemon Nuzlock challenge; in pokemon you carry only six pokemon with you at all times and these function basically like 6 characters if you're playing Final Fantasy. (they battle and... yeah it's complicated) When one dies it's useless and you have to take it to a place to get it "revived" and be usable again. In nuzlock challenge, you can't do this. Also because of the capture rule you will get a lot fewer pokemon in the whole game. Normally you can collect hundreds of pokemon but with this restriction you have a tiny amount so if any die (permanently) the game suddenly becomes very difficult.
Ordinarily I consider the pokemon games easy, compared to other RPGs at least. So this challenge always interested me, though I have never tried it.

As to the name of the challenge; I've heard it comes from "Locke" from the TV show "Lost" (which comes from the real life philosopher John Locke). But I don't know where the "Nuz" part comes from.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 12:10:08 AM »
I'm guessing the concept is treating it like L2 and go into the next level with however many lemmings you saved from the last. Strictly speaking you'd start with only 10 in OL since level 1 of Original has only 10  :P Hey, wait, maybe that could actually be sort of interesting...  :-\

We've debated this before  8) Regardless of how many you start with, you can't save more than 10 on Fun 2, and you're forced to lose 3 on Fun 3, 2 on Fun 6 and 5 on Fun 18.

I would guess namida meant playing through the game normally, but trying to save the maximum possible on every level, rather than treating every level as an individual gameplay session as we do in Challenges. I also seem to remember that LemSteven has actually done this. Finlay and I have done a "lite" version, taking alternate levels -- we didn't bother saving the absolute maximum on levels where this requires a glitch.

Talking of challenges in other games, I invented and was the first (and maybe only) player to complete a "perfect game" challenge in Iji. I defined this as getting all ribbons, posters and supercharges in one run, with no rebooting, getting the Nanomaster and Immortal achievements, and only 2 kills. (A perfect 0 kills is incompatible with the other requirements.) A few years ago I started to video this challenge -- it was the reason I opened a YouTube channel in the first place, and the reason my channel is called SentinelProxima and I use that name or just Proxima in other places, including here. Unfortunately, having already beaten the challenge once, I got bored with doing it again for the videos, and stopped halfway through Sector 5. Maybe one day....