Author Topic: geoo visiting Simon (a.k.a. Party Time POP) (NSFW)  (Read 11488 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
geoo visiting Simon (a.k.a. Party Time POP) (NSFW)
« on: September 11, 2010, 08:24:25 PM »
Hey folks,

I don't know what to write. geoo has decided that the best way to spend five days of one's semester break is at some random dude's house.

:party: :party: Party Time POP

But those were still a little boring, so we made the following improvement:

I hope it's got something for everyone. There is medium-hard calculus for Insane Steve, a clam for the Clam Spammer, a 16:9 display from the L2 topic for ccexplore, a medieval hatch for the conservative players, a flinging grass trap for game hackers and garden lemmings, and party time POP including an ice machine for us. For Mindless, there is an unsigned char*, but it's copyrighted by GuyPerfect, so we can't show you the image's source code.

We have also failed the first level of Pushover. The time limit appears to be very hard.

We don't know what to have for dinner yet, and the supermarket is open for like 3 hours before we're going to starve. If you have any idea besides popcorn and frozen stocklems, let us know...

Also, we're approaching the late-night phase. Prepare for the worst. Stay tuned!

-- :evil: ???

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: geoo visiting Simon (a.k.a. Party Time POP) (NSFW)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 11:35:04 PM »
Due to the lack of popular input, we had to come up with something for dinner on our own. And what did we come up with! A noodly frutti di mare speciality!

Take a glimpse at this delicacy below:

As you can see, in our excitement we cooked an entire pot of it. Why so much? A calculation set up by Simon will explain:

• A regular person eats about 250 g per meal.
  • Therefore we take 500 g of noodles and not 600 g, because that'd obviously be way too much.
  • Having plain noodles tends to be somewhat dry, so we take some creme fraiche in addition (200 g).
  • Real men eat meat, the smallest portion of meat available was 150 g of cubed ham.
  • Noodles soak up about as much water as their own weight (500 g), but this is negligible, as water kills only thirst, not hunger.
  • This makes 1350 g in total.
  • Alright. Whatever, tomorrow is Sunday.
  • All of this still felt a little boring, so we decided to add three frutti di mare and a decorational cocktail umbrella for epic effect.

:party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: Party Time POP

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 06:27:24 PM »
How to play Texas Fold'em like a pro! I really pulled it off at our friend's last poker night, the day before geoo left. This is how I did it:

• When the dealer raises to 20 big blinds out of nowhere, call with 6-7 offsuit and announce you're playing in catastrophical mode now. (The last part very is important for psychological reasons.)
  • The only other person to call was someone with A-Q who didn't have much experience.
  • Flop is K-8-6. Whee, pair, so I make a bet of 25 big blinds.
  • Dealer gets scared and folds his 7-7, which was the best hand in play
  • Other person called for some reason, but didn't hit.

I did play rather tight otherwise, but that didn't pay off that much on that night.

Also, it didn't matter if you pulled a poker face :) :) :) :), actually the dude with the sunglasses 8) 8) 8) 8) had two really bad beats. Steve would have done :sick:. The best face to pull was rather something in this direction:
:party: :party: :party:

-- Simon

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 09:40:15 PM »
You shouldn't forget about that all-in that you barely bailed out of with a split-pot on the river. :P
It should be noted that this night almost all big pots were won by the underdog against the odds, which might have contributed to Simon actually playing like this (in addition to the headache)...

Also this night, a friend of Simon's brought a special present from his stay in England:

We leave it up to you to guess who's who. (Hint: one is Colin, the other one is the Ant.)

To those that got fooled by our previous post with the food (I admit, it really looked realistic), we didn't actually have clams in our food, but only added them in after taking the photo. (You can also see the attempt at computing the integral, in our blindness trying it a royally overly complicated way.)
This is what is left (at least this time without alterations to the image), reflects on our cooking abilities:

In the end, really awesome memories. :party: :party: :party:
I learned how to play Lemmings3D (and after a couple of Fun levels with the intension to take a break as navigating the camera got pretty exhausting, had a glance at Mayhem and got hooked), got L++ to compile, consistently won at 'Raise the Bar', consistently lost at 'Humps', read the Lemmings 2 saga, got to know the town and the uni, got motivated to try One Step Beyond (Pushover's successor, I'm halfway through now) again, we had breakfast while listening to its music, talked and did a lot of silly stuff and generally had a great time.

And here, the saga ends. :(

Exam tomorrow.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 04:04:12 AM »
why did I not see this thread sooner ah hahahahahahaa  :)
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 12:29:52 AM »
haha! Took me long enough to see this also.

Its always cool to put faces to people, im guessing simon is tall, geoo is short guy?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 10:13:40 AM »
  • Real men eat meat, the smallest portion of meat available was 150 g of cubed ham.

As a male vegetarian, I find that statement offensive.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 11:18:16 PM »
Hi folks, :party: :party: :party:

semester is over, and geoo is here once more. We noticed that we didn't reply to your answers from last time... so we've decided to do so first. Thanks for everyone who replied in the first place. :)

Quote from: Rubix
Its always cool to put faces to people, im guessing simon is tall, geoo is short guy?

Yeah, that's correct. I'm the tall guy on the left, and geoo is on the right.

Quote from: namida
Quote from: geoo
Real men eat meat, the smallest portion of meat available was 150 g of cubed ham.

As a male vegetarian, I find that statement offensive.

There is no inappropriate time for ham.

Alright, so much for catching up to this thread's state of the art.

As you all can tell, we made the delicious noodle feast once more. The new and revised 2011 recipe goes as follows:

• Noodles, 500 g, pick the curliest type of noodles available.
  • Ham, 250 g, pre-cubed if possible, maybe also speed-cubed. Fry this in the pot with a little butter.
  • Creme fraiche, 150 g. Creme fraiche is such a nice ingredient in nearly anything.
  • Whippable cream, 200 g, but don't whip this. Pour it into the ham while it fries.
  • Gouda cheese, 200 g, try to use pizza cheese which is already shredded.

Before we could enjoy this, I was finishing laundry. However, the coin laundry had a problem with their payment computer -- drying costs 1.80 Euros regularily, but it displayed "you have inserted -10.00 Euros already. Please insert 11.80 more." Not wanting to bankrupt myself while any visitors are present, I carried the heavy pile of wet laundry to a different shop one block away. Exhausted from this quest, the noodles tasted all the more delicious.

Here's the awaited picture, this time without math, but with Lemming/Lix/Clones sketches:

-- Simon

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 11:47:47 PM »
Quote from: Rubix

Yeah, that's correct. I'm the tall guy on the left, and geoo is on the right.

Oh No! I've been thinking the opposite this whole time. Now I'm doomed to get you two mixed up if I ever see you IRL :sick:

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 02:04:49 AM »
:birthday: LEMMINGS :spam: :party:

To celebrate the 20th birthday of Lemmings, we played Mayhem 30 in the DOS version (not the Amiga version, sadly), followed by speedrunning the entirety of the Fun stage. Very close and exciting battle, with a lot back and forth.
Notable levels:
Fun 10: I took the slow digging route, while Simon went for the (extra clever, using blockers at the bottom) floater route. He managed to screw up with that though, sending down 11 floaters, setting a blocker they all walked through, and then frantically trying (and failing) to release that and the other blocker.
Fun 11: Insider trick from Simon: bomb your basher when he's in the middle of the block. (Use DragonsLover's "Hold cursor over blocker, hold right mouse button and assign exploder to the last active Lemming under the cursor" glitch for epic effect.) Then restart.
Fun 17: I took the compression method route, while Simon just sent down some floaters, catching up to me again.
Fun 20: Hardest level of the entire game, we both managed to royally screw up on this. I didn't set up a proper holding pit an blew a hole into the route, while Simon tried to set up a holding pit with a digger, and wasting a load of builders in the attempt the stop that digger from digging. We both ended up restarting this level.
Fun 21: I missed to increase the RR.
Fun 22: This level requires for utmost skill efficiency, we both managed to complete our route with the last builder.
Fun 27: The tricky level is designed to be very difficult, because the floor at the bottom can be bombed through with a single exploder. Therefore it is crucial to adapt one's strategy to this: No, you don't avoid boming through the floor, but rather avoid compressing your crowd at the start. Having them fall down and die at a slow rate is the key to success here. Missing your second builder for the holding bridge can be amended by exploding the blocker that is supposed to turn your lemming around to continue building, and using the bridge you built instead as turning device, and building a new holding bridge. In any case, not compressing is the insurance against killing all at once. Simon didn't realize that, and let his bundle walk into the bomber pit.

But we didn't only play Lemmings, but also Pushover (yesterday) to celebrate the fact that I managed to bring 10 packs of Quavers! We solved Level 98, probably the hardest one, and then raced through the first 11 levels before we decided we'd rather make some dinner instead of carrying on.

This time we present a namida compatible recipe, to make up for the manliness of our previous recipes:

• Prepare 250 g of rice
  • Heat up 550 g of carrots and peas, add the rice and 200 g cheese
  • Watch the bottom of the pot burn

DANGER DANGER DANGER!
It is important to note that with this recipe, the bottom of the pot will burn already when making the stuff, not only when re-heating it.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 03:36:17 AM »
The speedrun challenge does sound intriguing. :thumbsup:

Fun 10: I took the slow digging route, while Simon went for the (extra clever, using blockers at the bottom) floater route. He managed to screw up with that though, sending down 11 floaters, setting a blocker they all walked through, and then frantically trying (and failing) to release that and the other blocker.

:D Too bad you guys weren't playing in Lemmix, the replay for that one would be perfect for the blooper solutions thread.

Fun 11: Insider trick from Simon: bomb your basher when he's in the middle of the block. (Use DragonsLover's "Hold cursor over blocker, hold right mouse button and assign exploder to the last active Lemming under the cursor" glitch for epic effect.) Then restart.

Not quite understanding this one? ???

Fun 20: Hardest level of the entire game, we both managed to royally screw up on this. I didn't set up a proper holding pit an blew a hole into the route, while Simon tried to set up a holding pit with a digger, and wasting a load of builders in the attempt the stop that digger from digging. We both ended up restarting this level.

Shouldn't Lemming's prioritized selection help you out (shouldn't be a problem turning digger into builder)?

Fun 27: The tricky level is designed to be very difficult

Hmm, so I guess the nuke glitch is slower than an actual solution?  Or did you both forget?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 08:47:27 PM »
One important question remains:  so who won the speedrun?

Also, you wouldn't have the total time for the winner by any chance?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 12:09:48 PM »
Quote from: ccexplore
Not quite understanding this one? ???

Eh. Yeah. There are 20 climbers, so I could have screwed up 17 more times and still been able to solve it.

Fun 8 was another instance of a screw-up, where I made a pass-thorugh blocker instead of a regular one. It's a lose-4 level, though.

Fun 20: [...] and wasting a load of builders in the attempt the stop that digger from digging. We both ended up restarting this level.
Shouldn't Lemming's prioritized selection help you out (shouldn't be a problem turning digger into builder)?

It might be the case that I hold RMB too much of the time, causing the digger to never be selected. I'm not sure at all, though. Playing multiplayer all the time causes one to adapt a certain style when handling time-critical situations like these, since I didn't want to pause and plan.

Fun 27: The tricky level is designed to be very difficult
Hmm, so I guess the nuke glitch is slower than an actual solution?  Or did you both forget?

Yeah, we both forgot about these. We saved time in the levels by hitting [Esc] whenever the target saved count was reached. Sometimes, we forgot whatever the target was, and saved 80 percent just to be sure. geoo saved 95 percent in these cases.

:party: :party: :party:

geoo won the speedrun in the end, with me being at the end of Fun 29, as Fun 30 is a quick one. I was in the lead from Levels 4 to 10 and then later from levels 21 till 27. We didn't measure the total time, since it was a spontaneous event. We didn't want to speedrun in the first place, just play a few more levels.

I sprited the climber for Lix, and geoo improved his moonwalking Jumper-breakdancer a bit. We played way too much Clones yesterday though, which kept us from doing only useful stuff. geoo used the Clones level editor to make a lot of garbage and parody levels.

We played multiplayer Jazz Jackrabbit 2 aginst each other. And got the idea to troll Giga with it. It's basically a fundamental truth that Jazz is in any way superior to Sonic; he is way cooler, faster, can still obtain super Sonic speed to be even faster than Sonic with super Sonic speed, has a big effing gun, and isn't that pedantic with environmental preservation. geoo is an experienced resource hacker of Sonic 2 and fully confirms all of these points.

Jazz 1 has one of the best soundtracks still. 8) We also found the music from the DOS version of Stoneage on the net in its original Adlib format. Edit: Also found these on youtube, here's Stone Age's Plastic Age.

The recipe of the day was nearly the same as the previous creme-fraiched noodles, but this time we omitted the whippable cream. Instead, we cut a large tasty onion into the dish and fried it with the ham.

-- Simon

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 02:24:23 PM »
For those living behind the moon that haven't noticed yet, I'm over at Simon's again. :party: :party: :party:
Chef's recommendation of the day: Rice with carrots and peas, ham, creme fraiche and cheese, spam, spam, spam, egg and lem. :spam:

We've been very productive the past 1.5 days. At a minimum of sleep, we spent time on adding various features to Lix:
Most notably, the batter, the only skill that involves hitting another lix with a baseball bat. They get flung around, allowing for quick removal (but also arrival) of saboteurs. I made the level 'Ghetto wars', where the inhabitants of neighboring blocks of houses with rusty balconies are at war with each other.
Simon also added the runner from L2, which is mostly functional as well.
The new sprites can be seen here: http://asdfasdf.ethz.ch/~simon/sprites.php
I also wrote code to finally allow selections to be rotated and flipped, and expanded my styleset with even more buzzsaws and some lasers.
A test version with all these changes is available at http://asdfasdf.ethz.ch/~simon/download.php, but the central server is down, so come into IRC (#lix on irc.quakenet.org) and drop us a note if you want to play.

Since I've been here, we've been on a quest for proper poker chips, following one clue after the other, and we expect to finally find them this evening, after many vain attempts. If not, the already announced poker tournament is in danger, and our quest bound to fail (by definition)!

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 02:35:08 PM »
Most notably, the batter, the only skill that involves hitting another lix with a baseball bat. They get flung around, allowing for quick removal (but also arrival) of saboteurs. I made the level 'Ghetto wars', where the inhabitants of neighboring blocks of houses with rusty balconies are at war with each other.

Oh my god, that is just brilliant! :D
SEGA Master System version
100% on 110/120 levels (92%). Other levels [Lemmings lost]:
Fun 03 [3], 06 [2], 18 [5]   
Taxing 19 [5], 27 [1], 28 [3]
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]