Author Topic: Cheapo?!  (Read 6933 times)

ACM138

Cheapo?!
« on: October 06, 2004, 12:14:39 PM »
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum and of course a big Lemmings fan.

I'm sorry, I understand this is a stupid question, but please, can you tell me what "Cheapo" is?

Is that a clone or a new Lemmings game?

Thank you in advance.

Andi

Re: Cheapo?!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 02:49:30 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forums! :D

Cheapo is a very identical clone from lemmings. It uses the same graphics but is although very customizable. Becauses it's almost the same as the original lemmings it became illegal. But nowadays no one is anymore interested in this fact. Not even Sony. You can get it from several sites such as the one from DragonsLover.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 08:47:14 PM »
http://www.teamhellspawn.com/lemmings/ is where I usually go to download.

Although the first time I got it, I got it directly from the creator(Peter Spada).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

ACM138

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 07:38:19 AM »
Thank you!  :)

It was formerly known as Copycat (Lemmings), right?
:???:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 10:15:06 AM »
Nope. Cheapo is the sequel to Copycat Lemmings.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2004, 10:29:26 AM »
Also. Cheapo is not illegal. Copycat Lemmings is. Psygnosis and others never found out about Cheapo, so they didn't make it illegal. They did do so about Copycat Lemmings, though.

It's confusing how the names are similar.
First: Copycat Lemmings
Second: Cheapo Copycat Lemmings Game
My Lemmings projects

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2004, 03:38:04 PM »
The strange thing is that Lemmings is an abandonware, so it is legal to make clones of it. But, of course, Lemmings shouldn't be in the title of the clone. That's all!

No?
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

ACM138

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2004, 03:43:33 PM »
Quote from: DragonsLover  link=1097064879/0#6 date=1097163484
The strange thing is that Lemmings is an abandonware, so it is legal to make clones of it. But, of course, Lemmings shouldn't be in the title of the clone. That's all!
No?

AFAIK the "abandonware" term is actually non-sense. It's just like those disclaimer you find downloading Mame roms which ask you to delete them after 24 hours if you don't own the dumped PCB.

If the copyright owner still retains it, it's still illegal to own an abandonware title or a game rom, even if nobody sells it and you can't legally buy it. Sounds a bit stupid, doesn't it? :x

On the other hand, making clones isn't illegal in any way, otherwise we could say MS Word is illegal because it's a clone of the ancient Lotus Abiword.  ;)

To avoid any legal issue, I think it should be enough:
1. (of course) not to steal the code,
2. make graphics look different and
3. (as you stated) name the clone completely different.

Anyway, I tried Cheapo and I think it's an amazing piece of software. But first of all I should finish all the levels of the official games...  ;P

Offline finlay

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2004, 01:55:09 PM »
I've seen Windows Lemmings and Lemmings Paintball on sale in places like Game.