Author Topic: do you feal like nobody like's your ideas or topics or don't under stand you  (Read 7699 times)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
if you post good idea and nobody like's it
or if your topic make them think it's lame
or they don't understand it

come here for your problem's

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
*sigh* Ok, look, sorry for being a bit harsh there.  The fact is, I wasn't going to say anything since I usually just ignore topics not to my interest.  I was just a little annoyed when you started telling people that they haven't read your post carefully when in fact we all did, and it was you that wasn't reading what we had to say.

And hey, you can't expect everyone to like or care about everything you had to say (especially considering the age gap...).  It's life, man.  Relax.  And remember, the less effort you put into something, the less interesting it's going to be for other people.  If you have an interesting idea, next time try to actually make some levels or even just some drawings of what you're thinking about.  If you want people to pay attention, put some effort into fleshing out your ideas to make other people care. ;)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
ccexplore, Look i feal like this in real life too nobody uses or likes my ideas
you see some people mite come here

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
ccexplore, Look i feal like this in real life too nobody uses or likes my ideas

I think you'll find that forums are generally not going to be any different from real life in this regard.  And you know, people do use your ideas here, just that you can't expect them to use every single one of them, or use it in the direction you're thinking of, especially when most of your ideas are pretty vague.  Notice that your "version's of lemmings :Different styles of grafic sets" topic evolved into a discussion on "wtf levels", and if people weren't at least somewhat interested in your "The top 100 lemmings levels (100-91 nominies)" topic, they wouldn't have even been arguing that the poll was ineffective, they would've just ignored the topic altogether.

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
Well, to complement a bit what ccexplore said :P I think that you should try to improve your writing/spelling. I mean, I'm not english native speaker and I know that my english isn't perfect, but I try to do my best when I write here in the forums. As for you, I've had very difficult times trying to understand some of your posts. Actually, the first time I read something you wrote I thought you were drunk or something.

Seriously, if you want people to take your ideas seriously, put a little more effort when you write them down ;)
Like prog metal? Listen at Izkemia on MySpace or Facebook.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
THat makes me skip over some of giga's posts completely - they take longer to read than it is worth.  I think things can be improved, though.  For one thing, it's graphic, not grafic.

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
It's either that Giga has a learning disability or he's into text language (I'm only guessing, it may not be true). I think it's both of them. What do you think?

I think you should stop picking on him, and refrain from such a comment. It's very disrespectful talking about people in that manner. Don't forget Giga can read what you write. How do you think he'd feel after he reads that? Or, what if someone started talking about you in that way? I imagine you'd either feel like crap, or you'd react angrily towards the person who said it. One way or the other, it's insulting, and solves nothing. Please be more considerate when posting in the future.
SEGA Master System version
100% on 110/120 levels (92%). Other levels [Lemmings lost]:
Fun 03 [3], 06 [2], 18 [5]   
Taxing 19 [5], 27 [1], 28 [3]
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline Minim

• View Profile
I want to say this apology to everyone here

Quote from: Dear everyone
Sorry I wasn't picking on Giga and was wrong to suggest that he may have a learning disability.  It was just that I felt I could relate to Giga's post because I myself, have special needs, especially language difficulties and sometimes I take things too seriously and am very literal in the way I speak and think.

Hope you accept my apology

minimac.

Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Chmera

• View Profile
In direct reply to the first post in here:

Yes. Yes I do. You know what I do about it? Go on. Guess.

I deal with it. I look at the flaws in the idea, try to iron them out, put them down in drawings and writing , try again, and if that doesn't work I try to do what I want or hope for myself as far as I can. If I mess something up then I ask for help politely and civilly. Quite a radical concept, no?
  And don't pretend like we're treating you badly because of your age. I was the same age as you when I came here for the first time. I was treated with greater respect than you because I wrote to the best of my abilities (I still do) and didn't expect people to do as I said (I still don't). Ironically, knowing your place and treating others with respect is probably the best way to earn respect. Remember that.

Plus I'm curious; do you have some sort of disability which means you can't type well? It's okay if you do, and if you tell us if you do people won't be so harsh on you.

Offline Adam

• Just one more level....
    • View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
Interesting topic.

It's quite common to feel that people don't understand or like ideas and/or topics. Everybody's different, and as a result, there will always be disagreements and clashes.

For instance, quite a few people disagreed with the way I handled the top levels topics. The idea itself was a great idea, but the way it was carried out wasn't so good. I knew it would be an unpopular decision, but I also knew that mahoosive arguements would be caused if I let both topics run their course. We are quite a volatile bunch of people, and we're all very opinionated - that's not a bad thing, but we also have a tendancy to overstep the mark.

I do give leeway to people who have learning difficulties, but I don't tolerate people using their learning difficulties as an excuse for inexcusable actions. I feel quite qualified to do this, as I suffer from Asperger Syndrome. If you know you're not great at spelling, I'd recommend using a spell-checker before posting anything - I've probably got a couple of typos in here, just because I've said that!

If someone is twelve years old, they are more likely to have difficulties getting the point of view across. However, as Chmera says, there are workarounds.

However, none of what I've said above is relevant if you haven't put effort into what you're posting. You shouldn't focus on posting as much as possible in as little time as possible, you should take your time - quality over quantity - and then you'll find that more people take notice of your posts, and you will earn the respect of your fellow forum members.. remember, respect is earned over time - you don't just get it overnight.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
Hey, it took me a while to get a little respect on the old forums.  As you visit forums more often, you'll get used to how things work and then you'll earn some more respect.  Your first forums are usually your roughest (although the old Lemmings Community forum wasn't my first, but if I recall correctly, I didn't join terribly long after I joined my first).

Offline Minim

• View Profile
I feel quite qualified to do this, as I suffer from Asperger Syndrome.

Heh, I have as well! :D
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Wow, some real honesty coming out in this thread. I'm impressed. I think this sort of discussion is great for the community, and just the sort of thing we need more of. I know I'm not exactly a "people-person" either. :-\ Plus I have difficulty figuring out what to say at times (like right now for example).

Giga: It may seem like we're talking down to you right now, but I can assure you we're not. I can tell you've got some real enthusiasm for Lemmings. That's good. That's why you're here (presumably). We appreciate that on these forums. It's just that... well, there are some things you do that we don't necessarily appreciate. But you've always got a chance to improve. No matter where you're at now (which in all honesty isn't that bad), you can do something to become a better forumer and a better person. Dullstar here is a perfect example - when he first joined the forums, he did nothing but spam the place. And now look - he's really grown over the past year, and he's proven himself to be a respectable citizen of the forum. If he can turn it around, then you can too.

Lemmings Community was my first forum. I felt a bit isolated to start with too. I put up a level pack when I first joined, and I didn't get a huge response at first. (A couple of comments here and there, but nothing like a full review, like some of our newer forumers got.) I didn't complain (much) - I went ahead and built more levels. I learned from my experiences, stuck around, made better levels, improved my level solving skills, got into challenges... Simply put, I made an effort to improve. Whether that's actually come to anything, I'll leave that to everyone else here. But enough of that, this isn't about me.

Now, you don't have to build levels, or solve challenges, or anything in particular. There are many ways to show your dedication to the game. You just have to make an effort in what you do. The opportunity is there. If you make an effort, the reward will come.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Plus I'm curious; do you have some sort of disability which means you can't type well? It's okay if you do, and if you tell us if you do people won't be so harsh on you.

I can type perfectly, I'm not dyslexic, but it's just that my firmness has grown too far because I'm not a confident enough, social person like, um... don't know.

I must realise this community forum is like my sixth form, because they can be treated like adults and they have to be given so much praise because there is a lot of hard stuff to be done. All of you aged above me (Including Mr. K) are considered to behave like adults now, but for me I need to develop the same thing as well, as I remember too much about how I was behaved when I was a little kid.

I must turn from this,

Firm-ness: 25%
Fair-ness: 5%
Fun-ness: 70%

Into this.

Firm-ness: 0%
Fair-ness: 30%
Fun-ness: 70%

I suppose this is a good target for me. If I was immature, it's only in the forum, because I behaved very well at school.

Offline Chmera

• View Profile
  Sorry, Minimac. 'OP' is 'Original Post(er)'. I was talking to Giga. I'll edit my message for clarity.

And I'm not advocating hiding behind things like Dyslexia and Asperger's as an excuse in the slightest, by the way. I may as well be honest, I apparently have been diagnosed with the latter too*. However, I rather intensely dislike the idea of having a problem I can't fix, or a label for that matter, so I tend not to consider myself a 'sufferer' at all. I seem to do quite alright without all that 'accept yourself as you are' business, since that only leads to a recursive placebo effect in my eyes.

* That might be worth starting a poll on as well, considering the number of professed cases...