Author Topic: What is the default screenstart in LemEdit?  (Read 2033 times)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
What is the default screenstart in LemEdit?
« on: October 03, 2009, 03:08:53 AM »
This would be useful, because I find LemEdit to be a little weird to use.  I like Lemmix better.  After all, due to Linux's WINE, I can do everything with it I can do with LemEdit with a better interface.  So what's the default screenstart in LemEdit?  It would make nicely centered levels so much easier.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Re: What is the default screenstart in LemEdit?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 04:01:42 AM »
Assuming this starts your view exactly in the centre, then the number you're after is 640. The centre of the map itself is 800.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 04:27:49 AM »
But I thought you said you aren't using LemEdit, so why does it matter what the default screenstart of LemEdit is? ???  Also, you're not necessarily going to put your screenstart at the center of your level anyway (often you put it where one of the entrances is located), so "nicely centering levels" and "setting the screenstart" are two different things.

There's a menu item in Lemmix that lets you turn on/off showing the screenstart position (drawn as a white rectangle).  And you can zoom out, select everything by pressing A, and use arrow keys to move everything around.  So both centering the level and setting screenstart should be a cinch in Lemmix.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 06:08:17 AM »
Assuming this starts your view exactly in the centre, then the number you're after is 640. The centre of the map itself is 800.

640? You're close but I don't think so. I've seen the screen start set to 632 every time I load up this editor. And also, the centre of the map is at 792.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 03:03:55 AM »
I want to know this to easily center smaller puzzles that fit without scrolling.  It can make a good reference point.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 04:53:20 AM »
640? You're close but I don't think so. I've seen the screen start set to 632 every time I load up this editor. And also, the centre of the map is at 792.

I think there's a slight difference in scroll range between the DOS and Amiga versions.  If I recall correctly (I may not), the Amiga version may allow you see up to x=1599, while the DOS version limits you to x=1583.  This means on the Amiga, the center would be 800 and 640 would be correct, while in DOS the 792 and 632 would be more accurate.  To confuse matter slightly more, Lemmix, despite it being a clone of DOS Lemmings, currently also lets you see up to x=1599.

I think you'd actually find a lot of the official levels that are one-screen wide use a screenstart of 640, because they were originally designed on the Amiga.