Author Topic: How forum games go wrong.  (Read 2639 times)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
How forum games go wrong.
« on: September 28, 2009, 08:54:35 PM »
Something has to be done to the forum games sub-forum, because I've figured out a way to ruin them.

But anyway, the obvious question is this: Is it possible for the Admin to remove the "delete post" option? Because the way I did it is to delete my old posts. This ruins those games where you alternate users (Which I think ALL of the games are).
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
Re: How forum games go wrong.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 01:02:31 AM »
But why WOULD you delete posts?  Serious question.  Just a game, right?

If it's a major problem right now and the games are being utterly ruined, I will see if I can disable it on a per forum basis. I think sometimes users do deserve the right to silently delete a post.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 01:57:52 AM »
I don't think it's "Delete Post" that ruins them, I think it's people posting offensive stuff in there.  However, it hasn't happened recently to my knowledge, so that's good.  Personally, I don't think forum game posts should count towards total post counts, though.  Of course, I guess that's probably partially due to how I wish I could hide the count.  Oh well.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 02:24:48 AM »
Actually, I'd like to see that too. The other forum where I used to post (CivFanatics) has such a system (EDIT: I mean no forum games postcounts), and I think it makes sense. They don't let you delete posts either by the way - though that does create a bit of work for mods (with deleting accidental double-posts and such - though they don't seem to happen here), and probably wouldn't be suitable here.

Anyway, I don't think forum games are "ruined" as such if they lose some of their earlier posts. They're not like serious discussion threads where you might want to go back and read them through from the start.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 02:26:36 AM »
Which one, hiding post counts, or forum games not counting towards your post count?  If it's hiding post counts, it is difficult, if not impossible on a SMF forum.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 02:32:59 AM »
Oops, I didn't make that clear :P

I meant not counting Forum Games posts.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 03:03:40 AM »
Straightforward to do.  I can do stuff like that to my own forums, though!