Author Topic: Which levels can be beaten without assigning skills to more than one lemming?  (Read 51888 times)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Another challenge thread rises from the dead! :D :scared: Here's Mayhem 14, 100%.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Good job! 8) I looked back at my failed solution (30% saved when time runs out) and I can't believe basically the only thing I did wrong is to not trap the crowd (facepalm)!  Everything else is basically more or less what you did.  Don't know what I was thinking at the time. :-[ :XD:

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
One more update; unless Proxima's note about nuke glitches is serious, then we should add Frost 13 100% (the nuke glitch solution, which uses one builder only).

Also, Hail 13 100% was posted here, but isn't listed in the results.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
Okay, now that I'm back it's time to round this off. I've added Mayhem 14 and Hail 13 to the results.

I need to check one thing, as I've confused myself a little. Before I added Mayhem 14, the Mayhem list read "All except 5, 9, 11, 14, 15, 19, 20, 26, 29" but the total was 20 (not 21). Looking back through the topic, at one point ccexplore said "All Mayhem levels not discussed so far are impossible for obvious reasons." The Mayhem levels not included on my list that were not discussed in this topic are 3, 13 and 21.

3 is easy -- the no-climber no-floater solution fulfils the conditions. 13 had already been reported in the main challenges thread. I assume ccexplore didn't list these because they were already in my opening post.

Unless I'm mistaken, 21 is impossible because you can't build in time to save the second lemming. (Since Mayhem 12 was the last Mayhem level to be solved before my hiatus from the forums, maybe I inadvertently removed 21 by mistake for 12?) So I've put 21 back on the list -- please let me know if I'm wrong about this.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
I was just going to reply back on Mayhem 3 but looks like you beat me to it.  Thanks for bothering to keep these threads up to date! 8)  I'll check 21 later tonight but I do agree with your current assessment for now.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
I notice that Lemmings Revolution is not on this list. Allow me to clear that up...  ;)
these challenges are lots of fun. I plan on going through Revolution for those others too.

I started at an arbitrary level. I loath doing the tutorial levels, so I may never do those. But otherwise; I'll try to go through the game entirely. Of course I'm sure ccexplore or somebody else is going to see this and do that for me. :P Also from now on if I don't say anything: no glitches were used.

5-3 Sargent Bash 19/20.
One Lemming always will get killed by the saw. I haven’t successfully found a way around that yet.

5-4  The Crowded House 100%
*see attachment

wait till the first or second lemming that comes out (right or left) turns around once and merges with another from the entrance then start your 1 lemming digging down through the first block shortly after/next to the entrance.
When they fall through he turns around and build up to the ceiling. He turns around and have him build again to make a stoppable wall (you only need 2 builders in Revolution). He hits the ceiling again and is now alone. Bash, build up to the top area.
Let him turn around and come back. Dig or bash through the steps to free everybody. Now let them all go up and wait until he (who should be last) turns around and everybody else is going back down the steps. Dig through the thing platform then dig and bash few times (actually once of each is only necessary) to fall safely and build to the balloon. There should be enough time for him to finish until the others get there.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
4-5 The Long and Winding Road. 100%

nothing much to it. Just remember to build back left out of the pools to give a lot of room for the group to walk around and get your hero in back of them so he can bash to make a wall in the area where the pit is so nobody dies. Also watch out for the area where you build up to the left if the lemmings don't fall on the water they can die, as it's high.

5-7 Wandering Free 13/20
*bomb reset

It’s practically impossible to not lose a lot on this level, as you have to start by building over water then there’s a high fall, in addition the RR can’t be changed. I tried building to trap them in the beginning area but later, when you need to free them you don't have enough skills to do so and trap them, as you need to trap them in order to make it through the next area.

The way I accomplished it; Make ‘the lemming’ a climber and build over the first pool. You lose 3. Then dig in the block with the downward arrows that do nothing, you will lose quite a bit more here. This will trap the rest lemmings in a small space which is what you want. Build to stop him. When he comes back facing right let him climb out of the hole and dig down at the edge of this block so you can build to the ledge and make contact with it. When that is done, let him go all the way back to the beginning then mine right to the hole where they are all congregated then bash right to the steps. The idea is to give the group the largest area to walk around and waste time in. When he gets done bashing and the group is freed and far away, go ahead and bash through the next obstacle and build over the next pool. Dig through the next three platforms. Bash through the next on the bottom. The group should be almost caught up to you by now. When he gets done, make him a blocker right near the edge of the next pool. Once the crowd turns around reset him and build over the pool then bash through the last obstacle.

6-1 The Iron Curtain 100%

6-2 Make Mine a Large One. 28/30

If anybody wants an explanation on these just let me know.

EDIT:
5-5 One Way Ticket 49/50
Again, you can avoid lemmings falling to their death by digging and compacting them and spacing your worker far away.

note: ccexplore’s method of having one go through the steel to the balloon to bash through the thin part you normally bomb through won’t work because there’s no way to get him back down to the other area (that I know of). So you’ll have to kamikaze your hero at the end.
(It might be possible to force-bash through that steel to get inside there from the top but I don’t think you have enough bashers) edit: I have also never checked if the one-way-wall on the top actually works (it could be fake!)

6-4 Escape to victory is theoretically possible by using the miner/building position glitch, twice. *see this thread for explanation
http://www.lemmingsforums.com/index.php?topic=585.msg12387#msg12387
Build up to the platform then make a hole for the others to fall into. Then make another hole for the weasels over the water. Get him to come back around to the beginning area and mine/dig whatever to the exit. Simple but pulling off that glitch is really tricky.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
I think I was actually the first (and probably only one so far) to start lumping "later" Lemmings games (eg. L2, Revolution, etc.) into same thread as with the more "classic" games (eg. Lemmings 1, ONML, Xmas Lemmings), like the thread I created for undamaged solutions.  So don't expect other thread owners to update and track results for other games they didn't originally planned for, especially ones they can't or don't play.

Since I think this thread has mostly been wrapped up in terms of the "classic" games' levels, I guess it's not that problematic to hijack it (so to speak) for Lemmings Revolution results at this point.  I will update below as more results come in from whoever posts them.

4-5 (100%)
5-3, 5-4 (100%), 5-5, 5-7*
6-1 (100%), 6-2

Online Proxima

• View Profile
Revolution results (so far) added to the first post. Don't worry about "hijacking" -- it's much preferable to starting a new topic for each challenge that's "the same again, but in Revolution". And while it's true I've never played the game, at the time I started the thread I didn't have Lemmix, so I was equally in the position of taking all results posted on trust  :P

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
@ccexplore: I'm assuming, when you wrote: "5-3, 5-4 (100%), 5-5, 5-7*" that 5-3 and 5-4 are 100% and that 5-5 & 5-7 are not. If they are all 100% please post a explanations!

I had a productive time in Revolution just now. So, you’re not keeping a record of how many were saved? I’ll still mention how many I saved just for giggles.

7-1 Designed with Love 100%

There are a number of ways considering the plethora of skills. I dug a hole then made the hero a climber. Build a wall for the weasels. Heading over to the right; at the block above the pool, upside-down build to the block over the weasels. When he turns around & goes to the balloon and comes back this way build up to the block over the pool now right-side-up and he’ll fall onto your steps and climb up to the laser gate to empty the pool.
Or; when he turns around after upside-down building over the pool just mine and build to turn him around without making a wall for other lemmings.
He’ll circumnavigate the cylinder and when he comes to the gravity pad, this time glitch bash through it.* he goes into the pool, opens the door to the balloon. Turns around, get past the
gravity pad again and go left to the where the crowd is being held and free them.

Of course, you can also just build up underneath the balloon from the start, but that way isn’t any fun for this challenge. :P

*I didn’t mention this glitch above because you don’t have to do this; you can build over the gravity pad and then mine/bash etc. through the steps to get over it or dig under etc. There is a bunch of ways to get around it but glitching is the easiest way.

7-7 Swarthy Seadogs 100%

Dig, and wait for all lemmings to come out. Then make the hero a climber+floater left and after the pool dig another hole (not too far from the pool). Make him come back and free the crowd then when they becomes stuck in the pool build out of it and now they’ll be stuck in the second hole. You should be able to completely avoid the shredder. Now your hero will continue on the left. Mine to the left on the lower platform and build up to the top again, be sure to actually touch the top so he can get back up. Free the crowd and then free the way to the balloon. If they’re all spaced close together, you can flip the bottom switch without any problems.

7-8 Build em up and bring em down 100%

Because of the surplus of builders, you can build to the end and all the way back. Start digging at the start near the very edge of the tower but leave a sliver of terrain on the right. Set RR 99 and once they’re all out, build then dig farther over to the right to open a hole; let the crowd go into the first ‘hole’ and the worker is now separated.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Online Proxima

• View Profile
@ccexplore: I'm assuming, when you wrote: "5-3, 5-4 (100%), 5-5, 5-7*" that 5-3 and 5-4 are 100% and that 5-5 & 5-7 are not. If there area all 100% please post a explanations!

I had a productive time in Revolution just now. So, you’re not keeping a record of how many were saved? I’ll still mention how many I saved just for giggles.

ccexplore's list follows the format used in the Undamaged Levels topic: a "100%" tag next to a level indicates that that level is 100% -- so in the row 5 list, only 5-4 is 100% (so far). For now, I've kept this format in the Revolution list on the first page. Maybe once all levels have been looked at, I'll change it to the format of separate lists of solvable and 100%able levels for clarity.

And yes, for clarity and because it's not the primary aim of the challenge, number saved does not matter, only whether it's at least the minimum or whether it's 100%.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: Which levels can be beaten without assigning skills to more than one lemming?
« Reply #101 on: September 02, 2012, 09:34:26 PM »

7-9 Love Train Boogie 100%
(The normal solution)

8-3 Under and Up 100%

Build over the teleporters.

8-5 Water Way to Go. 29/30

This one was a lot of fun. I’ll try later to get 100% It might require a major change though.
You can completely ignore the water lemmings. (I also ignore the switch in the middle on top that closes the pointless pool there. when I say switch I’m never talking about that one).
Bash through first obstacle. When upside down, dig up into the ceiling, right after the small “hill”, a hole just enough to trap them. Then have your hero climber to the left. When right-side-up build over the steel block. Let him go all the way down to the switch near the balloon. Dig right before the switch*. Build over the balloon so he doesn’t exit. When he goes right bash through that wall and he’ll eventually climb up to the switch necessary to free the water lemmings. When he comes back down to the left again; from the balloon, build up to the switch and go past it (he won’t flip it since it’s facing the other way) and build over the hole you made earlier so others coming from the right can flip the switch. Let him go all the way back near the upside down crowd. Build over the pool to the gravity pad. Once he’s upside down, turn him around somehow, to go left. Bash through the hill to free the crowd and build up to get them all the gravity pad. They should then walk all the way to the balloon flipping the switch on the way.
Mine through the steps over the balloon and that’s it.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Which levels can be beaten without assigning skills to more than one lemming?
« Reply #102 on: September 03, 2012, 01:02:51 PM »
I started looking at this from the beginning levels in Lemmings Revolution, but found that between the lack of replays, the tendency for the game to crash a lot on certain levels, and other factors, I'm not feeling particularly motivated to go through with this.  For now here are results for columns 1-4:

1-1, 1-2
2-2, 2-3, 2-4 (all 100%)
3-1, 3-4 (all 100%)
4-1, 4-3, 4-4 (100% with reset-bomber glitch, lose 1 without), 4-5 (100%)

Screenshots attached for 4-3 and 4-4.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
I came up with a pretty neat solution for 3 levels in Revolution. Just to be extra perfectly clear, from now on unless mentioned; I used no glitches.

8-8 ‘Take her up to Warp speed Captain’. While it may not save the most it was fun.

23/25

-first have him dig right alongside the left wall at the beginning but stop him before he goes through so you create a hole all the lemmings will get stuck in.
-Then when about 21-22 have come out make him climber and when dig him right next to the steel so he falls through then climbs right back up. Two lemmings will then fall and go on to flip the switches that close the doors and die. If you have a few stragglers it’s okay.
-Meanwhile, the trailblazer will turn around at the entrance, have him build over the hole he just dug then free the crowd. He’ll go down with them and continue on to near the teleporter.
- When there; build to the teleporter. Make sure he’s away from the crowd at this point (or that he builds and they don’t go into the teleport right then with him.
-Let him go through, bash through the purple thing. Dig through the bottom platform and right after the speed up pad dig and mine into the lower area safe/underneath the shredder. All the lemmings should be back far enough to survive.
Depending on if you have any stragglers or where the shredder is you may be able to get through without having to avoid the shredder.

9-4 booby trap 50/50 (100%)

-set RR to 1
- build a bridge close to the entrance (not right away but close, a few paces away.) Let him fall and go around and come back to it.
-build a second time next to the bridge to make a double bridge (wall). Once he starts building set RR to 99.
-build a second time so he connects with the wall; but make sure of two things;
   -first he should be the only lemmings that ends up separated from the crowd. Everyone else should be trapped underneath the bridge.
   -second; build so that there is either a flat space on the double bridge on the floor or that the second build is exact to the (real) right wall. This is so he can dig down through it later.
[A lemming walking down a bridge cannot dig through it and fall down—he continues walking down the bridge even though he leaves a hole (I should post this in glitches, but it needs to be examined a little more)]
-once he’s separated on top, let him turn around and come back right again, then dig through the steps near the floor to make a wall on that side so the weasels are later trapped. Immediately make him a climber so he climbs up and then goes on to eventually flips the switch and free the way.
-When he comes back dig through the steps one last time, making sure to dig on a flat spot.

9-6 High dive 40/40 (100%)

-dig/build on the middle platform to trap all the lemmings.
-make him a climber facing left.
-when he gets near the large door, build up to it. Then build back to the middle platform.
-when he gets back to the crowd, dig and bash to open the way for them to mill about from here to the door. Let him climb out of the hole going right.
-Dig downward to survive the fall to the floor. You may have to bash to save time.
-Once over the  laser gate, dig then bash to get out after flipping it.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
9-7 Battle o’ Lemmuckburn* 100%
bash through steel glitch

-thanks to Pirohiko on youtube for this solution. (see this video for a good visual. My solution is very similar except of course, only using one lemming)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF2GfldELq0&feature=plcp

-set RR to 1
-mine shortly after falling off the steel platform, so he mines all the way till he hits the steel wall near the pool. The tunnel should be low enough that you can bash into it from the weasel area to free the lemmings later.
-When he comes back up bash through the steel. When he’s stuck inside, make him a climber facing left. Build over the balloon
-mine left to connect with the floor at the bottom.
-Let him go, turn around and facing right, bash into the tunnel at or near the base of it.
-once over the area where the weasel is, mine or dig down into it. Make sure the weasel is to the lemming’s right.
-When you get close to the weasel, dig directly when you’re above the right side of a pylon on the platform. If done correctly; you’ll make a tiny hole for the weasel to get through while your lemming has time to build over it safely.
-After the weasel is dead, bash into the right wall to free the rest of the lemmings in the miner’s tunnel from the beginning.
-Build up to the left to get out of the lower area, then build to fix the path in the miner tunnel to the balloon.

9-10 Waste not want not part 1 100%

-set RR to 99
-make him climber+floater, climb to the right.
-after flipping the switch mine into the platform to turn him and everyone around. The others should come out and follow him. When he turns around he’ll flip the switch reversing the doors.
-When he gets close to the door, build toward the door or the steel in between it. Make sure the other lemmings pass him and go down before the bridge is done.
-He’ll climb back up into the entrance area and break the laser gate. The other lemmings will follow the long path to the exit.
This uses only four skills (climber,floater,miner,builder)

9-11 Ouch me head 100%
screenshots attached
note: Pirohiko does a crazy job on this level by solving it without rotating the screen at all!  :o which inspires me to make this in itself a challenge but I'll have to think about it.

set RR to 1
method 1:
dig a trap hole, then send a climber out, build over the water, turn him around and then build back and mine to free the crowd.

method 2:
dig a trap hole, then send a climber out, build over the water, then let him go to the balloon, build over the balloon. Then at the edge of the platform dig until there’s one pixel of terrain left then build to the left. Stretch every bridge. He should build right to the top of the entrance. Mine to free the crowd.

EDIT:
I skipped over this one thinking it would be impossible and it turned out really easy.
9-5 Hit n Run 100%
glitch ? [bashing under gravity pad: not sure if this is a glitch because, when you think about it: what’s wrong with bashing under a gravity pad? But for some reason the game doesn’t let you, so you have to kind of force bash through it.]

-build up to the steel with the FF pad so they all turn around.
-make the lone lemming a climber. The rest will all end up stuck in an area safely next to the balloon.
-make him a climber, going left (upside down) out of the holding pit with the doors.
-Dig/bash under the gravity pad next to the lava so he continues upside down.
-Once he flips the switch dig again and bash into the steel and mine when he’s over/under the steel so he’ll turn around. Be sure to bash the whole area above the switch so he doesn’t press it again. Either mine or dig to stop him and he’ll walk all the way back to the balloon.
see the picture if it's confusing (it is a little confusing)

-Hakuin Ekaku