Author Topic: Custom Level Review Game  (Read 76965 times)

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Level Review Game
« Reply #135 on: October 20, 2009, 07:20:59 PM »
I've done the 12 builder version -- the 11 builders one is a bit harder hahaha
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Joemon

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 20, 2009, 10:38:25 PM »
so bullet lemming is next then?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #137 on: October 21, 2009, 07:18:03 AM »
I've done the 12 builder version -- the 11 builders one is a bit harder hahaha

In the 12 builder one, at one point you use a builder for no purpose other than to turn a lemming around - try getting another lemming to do what this turned around lemming would do  (if you do it right, the lemming that would've turned around will still make it to where he needs to be, just via a different route). Exactly how to GET another lemming there is another issue, but I'm sure you'll be able to work it out.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 21, 2009, 09:09:26 PM »
Lemmings Plus DOS demo - Level 8 - Bullet Lemming

Lemmings: 80
Save: 79 (98%)
RR: 1
Time: 4 minutes
Skills: 1 of each except 0 blockers, 11 builders

If you look at the level, you already see 10 places you need a builder. Use of the digger, miner and basher are obvious as well. With that setup in mind, you'll know where to use the bomber, and thereby losing one lemming, you know you'll have to use the last builder at the end to save the digger. That way the skill placement of every single skill can be easily deducted and the level comes down to deciding who does what.
Good: Due to the time limit, you cannot just have a single worker lemming, so you have to separate another one from the group to get the work done in time. After that you'll have to decide which of the two builds the staircase to the exit.
Bad: Separation of the lemming is a bit of a timing issue, but that's the least one. At lot worse is when to launch the bomber, due to the time limit there's only a small span of time to do so. The terrain near the wall is setup to make the builder placement unnecessarily difficult, most obvious example being the gap left to the wall which serves no purpose at all except for wasting a builder which has to be placed perfectly.

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 21, 2009, 10:45:08 PM »
L+ Demo Level 9 -- Coalburner

Save 64/80 (80%)
Release Rate 30
3 Minutes

5 climbers, floaters, bombers, and blockers; 8 builders; 3 bashers

Good: A level that forces the player to use many Lemmings at once to take a complex path through the level. Terrain is simplistic but works well. Save percent is interestingly low -- if you don't notice it you may waste skills trying to save lemmings you really don't need.

Bad: The basic idea of the solution seems a bit too obvious for a 5th tier level (especially with, for instance, the poles just off the right side of the pit) -- I saw what to do almost immediately and the rest of the time was just me tweaking it to work.

Pedantic: The floor right by the left pit looks a bit messy  :P
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #140 on: October 22, 2009, 08:56:11 AM »
Lemmings Plus DOS demo - Level 8 - Bullet Lemming
Good: Due to the time limit, you cannot just have a single worker lemming, so you have to separate another one from the group to get the work done in time. After that you'll have to decide which of the two builds the staircase to the exit.
Even ignoring the time limit, the skills available still force you to do this.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 22, 2009, 09:37:13 AM »
Nope, with a more lenient time limit (likely 5 minutes, but I recorded this with 6) you can just have the climber do all the work:

Offline Joemon

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 22, 2009, 11:10:22 AM »
Finally this thread is getting resurrected. Level 10 looks quite daunting to pass. Not passed it all yet.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #143 on: October 22, 2009, 08:31:09 PM »
Can we review Dstar01 next?
The download link is on page 7 of the level pack thread.

NOTE ABOUT THE LAST 4 LEVELS:  At the speed the review thread goes, I will have it completely tested by the time we get there.

EDIT:  To clear level 8: URGENT!  Level 8 in my pack doesn't work.  I have a splat start where a splat start should not be.  Until I get to fixing it, lower the trapdoors before playing.
EDIT2:  For level 9, you may lose two lemmings.  This is contrary to the original stats, save 100%.  And add in a bomber.  I will fix these later today.

Offline Joemon

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 22, 2009, 10:31:43 PM »
If yours is not complete after this pack is finished I would like joe03 reviewing :). We could then review your recent pack :)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 23, 2009, 02:58:50 AM »
Actually, dstar01 is ready for reviews, it just needs minor tweaking, but I can't worry about that until I have Ubuntu properly updated.

Offline chaos_defrost

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 23, 2009, 04:15:07 AM »
I thought we had Joe3, then ISteve10, then open floor planned after L+ Demo?
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Joemon

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 23, 2009, 07:05:32 PM »
I thought we had Joe3, then ISteve10, then open floor planned after L+ Demo?

Yes we did. After this Joe03, Isteve10, 2nd Lemplus pack and then Dullstar's levelpak :)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 23, 2009, 07:28:11 PM »
Wait a minute.  Can I request a new rule?

If allowed, can people who have not had their level packs reviewed in the game thread get higher priority than people who have?  Of course, within order of the request, but...

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 23, 2009, 07:33:39 PM »
I just checked the whole thread.
These people have had reviews done in this thread before (in this order):
minimac
Fernito
namida

If we went with my new rule suggestion:
Joe03 -> ISteve10 -> Dstar01 -> 2nd Lemplus pack