Author Topic: Postal news  (Read 12183 times)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Re: Postal news
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2009, 03:54:59 AM »
Why would I start a new topic? :-\ I don't understand. ???

I think this message is more useful on larger forums, where threads get buried really deep in the space of 4 months. I've seen this on CivFanatics - what happens is that newer forumers (and sometimes other forumers too) read the thread without realising it's months old, and then post a reply to something that was said monmths ago. And, of course, if the thread is really old, the people who posted there aren't around on the forum any more. By starting a new topic, you avoid this.

For this forum as it is now, I can't see this option being useful.

Eh?  What topic?
I'm guessing this one. (Notice how I underlined the link. ;))

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2009, 11:18:29 AM »
We've done it. In less than 5 months, with a fragmented community still rebuilding after the last forum move, we've made more posts here than were made in almost three years on the old forum. That's some real dedication right there (or maybe just too much free time? Nah... it's dedication all right. ;)) Well done everyone!

:party:

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2009, 11:19:29 PM »
That's the weirdest thing.  It's like Lemmings just had a huge burst in popularity.  I guess stabilizing its location and stuff was a good idea.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2009, 12:17:05 AM »
I wonder how many of the posts are part of a challenge thread.  Those kinds of threads are practically post-making machines, and we've had like probably close to a dozen of those threads here. ;P  It certainly feels like I've played the official Lemmings levels 12 times more than I ever had back in the early forum days. ;)

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2009, 03:04:55 AM »
Actually, I wonder if challenge threads would warrant their own board, considering that Lemmings Discussion has way more posts than any other board and challenge posts make up a significant chunk of that. And if there was a separate board for them, you wouldn't have to wonder - you could just look at the stats page.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2009, 04:33:18 AM »
I was thinking about that, too. This is a very good idea.

One can think about if it's better to put anything relating to the original games' levels into the new forum, I don't know if that yields more structure. This doesn't dry down Lemmings Discussion, it will still have lots of level-independent talk.

-- Simon

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2009, 05:32:36 AM »
You mean throw reviews in there as well? I'm not sure, I'd personally prefer that challenges had their own board. That way we can find them easily, and maybe we'd get some more activity in the unfinished challenge threads. Plus making it separate would give the board its own unique "flavour" - it would be a great place for expert level solvers to discuss things. (Possibly not so good for everyone else, though.)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2009, 07:32:50 PM »
Yep, your idea seems more profound than mine to me now. Go for it. :-)

-- Simon

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2009, 09:02:19 PM »
Yeah, I'd love to... but I'm not an admin and I can't mess with the forum structure.

I just did a quick count of challenge posts in Lemmings Discussion. It looks like 1415 of the 2949 posts there are in challenge threads. That's easily more than any other board.

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2009, 09:20:09 PM »
I'm with Clam Spammer, that's a very good idea. Why don't we vote on it? If many of us like this idea, maybe Mr. K could make a challenges board.
Like prog metal? Listen at Izkemia on MySpace or Facebook.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2011, 12:16:19 AM »
As of right now, this forum has 10000 posts! Sadly, the second 5000 took much, much longer than the first (about 21 months, compared to just 4 months), but still, we made it! Well done everyone! :thumbsup:

:party: :party: :party:

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2012, 11:39:36 PM »
This post by Insane Steve marks 11716 posts total - that's double the total on the previous forum.

Oops, didn't I once say I don't care about milestones? :P

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2013, 06:16:23 AM »
As noted in various places already, the forum now has 15000 posts. And the third 5000 took (to the nearest whole month) 21 months, same as the previous 5000!

+1 for consistency! :P :thumbsup:

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2014, 06:31:10 AM »
I've hit 20000 posts!! :o That's ten times the number of posts I've originally stated on this thread. This 5000 mark took exactly 16 months, much faster than the previous. This forum is really picking up now that we have more interesting users! (as well as namida's return to the forum :P). 25,000 is coming up soon... Then maybe we'll stop updating until we reach 50,000...

Edit: I also forgot to mention that we have 900 topics. That means the average number of post per topic is 22.22... Quite interesting bit of maths maybe?
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3