Author Topic: Backroutes in original games  (Read 7960 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Backroutes in original games
« on: September 03, 2004, 11:53:33 PM »
I've made a list of all the levels with backroutes in Lemmings 3D, if anyone wants to do it for the other games, please do!

Lemmings 3D Backroutes:

Fun 8 (Level 8) - Lemmings Inside
Tricky 12 (Level 32) - Dot to Dot
Tricky 15 (Level 15) - Chocolate Drop
Taxing 1 (Level 41) - Spaghetti Junction
Taxing 20 (Level 60) - Death Slide
Mayhem 3 (Level 63) - Tower of Lemlab
Mayhem 6 (Level 66) - Family Tree
Mayhem 8 (Level 68) - Five Towers
Mayhem 14 (Level 74) - Jelly Belly Islands
Mayhem 20 (Level 80) - Final Maze

The backroute in "Spaghetti Junction" is pretty well known, the one in "Family Tree" is kinda obvious, and the one in "Dot to Dot" is easy to find if you know it exists(but you don't know where it is), but apart from that, the other 7 took a while for me to find. I still haven't found the intended solutions to Chocolate Drop, Death Slide, Five Towers, Jelly Belly Islands or Final Maze, but I have found the intended solutions to the others.

An interesting point, is that until I checked a walkthrough to get the names of the levels, I never even realised that the solution I had always used for "Five Towers" was a backroute!
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline finlay

• View Profile
Re: Backroutes in original games
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 02:33:35 PM »
I don't know any of these. Can you impart your knowledge?
How is there an "obvious" one in Family Tree?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Backroutes in original games
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 04:51:46 AM »
Fun 8 (Level 8) - Lemmings Inside
When you are in line with the last "block" of the computer, turn left. Block right at the edge. Build up. Use turners to get around the computer to the exit.

Tricky 12 (Level 32) - Dot to Dot
Play the level as normal. When you get to either 4 or 5(can't remember which), and drop off it to the platform you build from next, turn left. After two full builds plus two more steps, turn left. Finish the rest as normal.

Tricky 15 (Level 15) - Chocolate Drop
I cannot remember this one, sorry. I can remember though that it involves falling onto the exit, building off it right above where the lemmings go in, using a blocker, then building back in again.

Taxing 1 (Level 41) - Spaghetti Junction
Use the "two turners equals a blocker" trick before the splitter, turn left after falling off the platform, then follow the rest as normal.

Taxing 20 (Level 60) - Death Slide
My favourite discovery, especially since this level is incredibly hard otherwise. Block at the start, and build up and over the turning block. Turn right, build to the next island, turn right, build onto the one way wall, and mine through it. When you are in line with the exit, turn left.

Mayhem 3 (Level 63) - Tower of Lemlab
Follow the normal solution until you get to the one way block(if there is more than one, it's the first one), climb over it as usual, and destroy it as usual. Don't blow up the blocker, however. Under it, turn towards the middle, and build(I'm not sure if it's once or twice). Block at the end of the build, then build up to the exit.

Mayhem 6 (Level 66) - Family Tree
Tricky to execute. Use virtual lemming and pause to go inside the block. Try and use turners to make the lemmings come out in as few sets as possible. I have actually managed to do just one! From there, the rest should be obvious.

Mayhem 8 (Level 68) - Five Towers
On the top, make a lemming climb and bomb. Build to let the lemmings come out and get up. On the bottom, go through the tunnel, then start building up. I think you build as soon as you come out of the tunnel, but it might be as soon as you turn around after coming out. Either way, keep building until the next builder would hit his head on the roof. Have the lemmings up the top make a hole in this roof - I think you use a miner, but it might be a bomber. You have to position this hole so that you can build through it. If done right, all the lemmings will now be together up the top(or walking there). Now, it's just a matter of a single turner to finish the level.

Mayhem 14 (Level 74) - Jelly Belly Islands
The second chance you get to turn right, do so, then turn left after moving one block. Build. You will land on the teleporter. Build again RIGHT AWAY, and the lemmings won't go in the teleporter. You will need to blow up or bash part of the bridge above the exit platform, to avoid a fatal fall.

Mayhem 20 (Level 80) - Final Maze
I can't remember this exactly, so I might be wrong, but you should be able to work it out from this. Turn right one block after the steps up to the spring. Turn left, and bash. Turn right when there is something to bash on the right(I think you have to destroy a turning block first), and bash it. Turn left when, if you bashed one more block, there would be a wall on your left. Build over the tree. From here on, it is just simple turns to the exit.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)