Author Topic: General Comings and Goings  (Read 152064 times)

Offline GuyPerfect

• View Profile
Re: The Fast
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2009, 12:37:48 AM »
Not sure why I decided to type in "lemmingsforums.com" again, but I did and here there are recent posts in a thread I made a while back!

The aforementioned fast only lasted the week in question. I was looking at the files for my blog just today and noticed that the announcement for the fast was the last thing I posted. That was before putting that big medallion-like thing on the front page.

While I'm not currently fasting, per se, I've all but withdrawn myself from the internet save for playing City of Heroes. As much as I try to prevent it, I keep having a life and it keeps interfering with my electronic endeavors... In this case, at the end of July I reeeeeeally was considering if I wanted to quit my job and move some three hours away and start all over again... and then the next day I found out I'd have to move out of my apartment. Problem solved!

The next two weeks were spent in a hotel working through the end of the pay period, and the past three weeks have essentially been spent in the back of the van keeping all my stuff company and spending my weekends in a hotel since two days a week is considerably cheaper than seven days a week. Though it's only Thursday today, I'm spending tonight in the hotel and hopefully for the last time... which is good, 'cause I'm almost out of money.

We'll see how things go, but you have my word I haven't played any Lemmings since the time I created this thread. (-:

I still have a desire to do a Lemmings fangame someday, but it's on my slowly growing list of fangames to do someday along with the likes of Tetrisphere, Uniracers, and even that Metroid project that signified my disappearance from these forums. It wasn't until thoroughly enjoying Metroid Prime: Trilogy that I decided to sort of come out of retirement, and today I dug out my main compy from its pile in the van and got my project's program code out so I could work on it again.

Buuuuut, like I said, we'll see. There are more uncertainties going forward than there were when I got here, 'cause after all... if you know you're going to be homeless, you can plan accordingly. But now I don't know! I wish I could expand on the situation, but that would venture into turning this post into an article or beyond, so I should probably cut it down to that.

Anyways, the fasting thing was my own idea. I'm not the only one who ever came up with it, but I didn't steal it from anyone. (-:

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2009, 03:38:51 PM »
I still have a desire to do a Lemmings fangame someday,

Hang on; Dullstar is already planning to do a fangame called "Epic Lemmings". I wouldn't like you to do a different one all by yourself (Unless you're really good with the technical aspect). Why don't you help out with us members?
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline GuyPerfect

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2009, 07:13:18 PM »
Fortunately the old forums are accessible now, so allow me to direct you to this thread over there.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2009, 08:45:11 PM »
Because I arrived too late, I can't log on to those old forums. :P
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2009, 12:10:14 AM »
Where do you go to, uh...

take a 1 week fast from school?  Oh well, at least it's a three day weekend.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2009, 12:13:25 AM »
I hope you come back GuyPerfect...  and I'd like to see GuyPerfect do a fangame...  besides, by time he's done, the Epic Lemmings fangame will probably be finished because we're making custom levels for it, I seem to recall GuyPerfect wanting to reprogram things.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2009, 10:02:55 PM »
I'd still very much like to see a reprogrammed version of Lemmings - if only to get rid of steel glitches. Those are a nightmare from a level design perspective  :XD:

Then again, Lemmings 2 has properly indestructible steel...

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2009, 11:35:25 PM »
I think Lemmings 2 uses a tile-based system. All Lemmings games i've played so far that uses such a system, including the Master System version of the original, has flawless steel. That said, I can't really see why the original Lemmings game has that strange steel behaviour to begin with.
SEGA Master System version
100% on 110/120 levels (92%). Other levels [Lemmings lost]:
Fun 03 [3], 06 [2], 18 [5]   
Taxing 19 [5], 27 [1], 28 [3]
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2009, 11:47:20 PM »
Have you ever made a custom level with steel?  You have to use the steel areas!

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2009, 12:23:28 AM »
I think the steel glitches arise because each 4x4 section of the map can only have one type of field active (steel, trigger, blocker) at one time. It just so happens that steel has the lowest priority. Which makes sense, in a way - otherwise your blocker would do nothing if you placed it on steel.

The problem is really that steel terrain and steel objects are separate entities in DOS Lemmings. Putting them together goes a long way towards fixing it, although it's not foolproof - steel glitches exist in Lemmings 3 as well.

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2009, 07:23:39 PM »
Have you ever made a custom level with steel?  You have to use the steel areas!

I'm not talking about custom levels, I'm referring to how steel works in the game. ;) But to answer your question, I do use steel areas. I have to place them carefully to avoid backroutes where possible (but i'm not a pro at this by any stretch of the imagination).

I think the steel glitches arise because each 4x4 section of the map can only have one type of field active (steel, trigger, blocker) at one time. It just so happens that steel has the lowest priority. Which makes sense, in a way - otherwise your blocker would do nothing if you placed it on steel.

The problem is really that steel terrain and steel objects are separate entities in DOS Lemmings. Putting them together goes a long way towards fixing it, although it's not foolproof - steel glitches exist in Lemmings 3 as well.

Ahh, I see. I did often wonder how the game works with such hefty technical limitations. Do you know if the Amiga version works in the same way?

Lemmings 3 has steel glitches? Now that is suprising. That game, including the skills, is pretty much entirely tile-based, if my memory serves me.
SEGA Master System version
100% on 110/120 levels (92%). Other levels [Lemmings lost]:
Fun 03 [3], 06 [2], 18 [5]   
Taxing 19 [5], 27 [1], 28 [3]
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline GuyPerfect

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2009, 07:29:39 PM »
Not to be a stick in the mud, but a changed topic generally fares better as a new topic. (-:

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2009, 07:31:38 PM »
How's your Metroid fangame going, GuyPerfect?  You could start a topic about in Off-Topic Discussion or Video Games, whichever you think is appropriate.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2009, 07:36:29 PM »
How's your Metroid fangame going, GuyPerfect?  You could start a topic about in Off-Topic Discussion or Video Games, whichever you think is appropriate.

Video games please.

Offline GuyPerfect

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2009, 08:12:43 PM »