Author Topic: [SUGGESTION] [PLAYER] [ADDED] Re-add cheat hotkey  (Read 3553 times)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
[SUGGESTION] [PLAYER] [ADDED] Re-add cheat hotkey
« on: January 13, 2016, 08:03:08 PM »
Status: Re-added for next update. Suggested change of always enabling it in packs with Unlock All enabled has also been implemented.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 12:33:41 AM by namida »

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: [SUGGESTION] [PLAYER] Re-add cheat hotkey
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 08:10:03 PM »
This topic should have beed discussed before the release of V1.37, but namida writes code just too fast :P. Anway, here is my suggestion:

Continue supporting the hotkey for skipping a level when in cheat mode (and fix the bug that it doesn't work in Unlock All Levels).

Reason: Assume a player tries a level but fails to find a solution and now wants to play the next level. Then the fastest way is
  ESC (returns to postview screen), Left-Click (returns to preview screen of old level), Right Arrow (goes to desired preview screen)
This requires three different clicks, which is neither fast nor a natural thing to do. Compared to that hitting one hotkey is fast, easy and straight-forward.

Given that the code is already there, it shouldn't be a big problem to continue supporting this option.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 10:32:31 PM »
One reason for taking it out is that the code holding it together was quite flimsy, even by the standards of some of the stuff in NeoLemmix. It already caused a lot of problems to continue making it work when Cloners were added. Another reason is that improved level selection altogether is on more more-long-term todo list, and at this point, the cheat key would become irrelevant anyway.

However, if there really is a lot of interest, I can put it back in the next update.

I will note that even using the cheat key, you still need two presses - the cheat key, then a click (or press Enter) to move from the results screen to the desired level's preview screen. So, it's only a difference of one key press, although it does involve extra fade in/out time.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 10:38:59 PM »
All this sounds like there should be much better level selection UI in general. Selecting levels with cursor keys, and waiting for them to render fully, can be tedious. Next/same level  might always be accessible from the results, etc.

This would finally render the level code entry obsolete.

Appropriate and good UI here is very costly and elaborate to make. Hackjob solutions like the cheat key might be interesting intermediate solutions.

-- Simon

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 12:33:12 AM »
Readded for next update. Suggested change of always enabling it in packs with Unlock All enabled has also been implemented.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)