Author Topic: [Maybe Bug][PHYSICS] Lemmings float for a few frames at the end of digging  (Read 3260 times)

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile

Is this a bug? It's quite an odd behaviour, though it was present a in a lot of lemmings ports from what I remember. I've used it in a few backroutes before but I've avoided making a level using it.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I even use this behavior and know quite a few levels by others that use that ;)   Always assumed that this is common knowledge by now :P

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
If I had to design completely new Lemmings physics, I would remove this by letting the digger drop immediately. But for NeoLemmix this would have too big an impact: Almost all replays that use a digger will fail and there are quite a few levels that require this behavior (or something similar).
So unless someone comes up with extremely pressing arguments, the behavior will stay as it is.

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
I hope it does stay like this, because I've also made a level that requires it.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Currently, if you remove the ground a builder or platformer is standing on, he still continues his skill. I cannot see any justification for changing the digger behaviour unless these platformer / builder behaviours are changed too.

Many other skills exhibit similar behaviours as well. For example, bashers and miners only check for "am I still standing on something" on certain frames (the ones where they move).

I can see valid arguments for changing this in all cases, but I do feel it's a very radical change that definitely has the potential to break entire levels, not just break a replay or two, so I think keeping the current behaviour is preferable here.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
OK ^_^ I was just checking if this was considered a bug or not, and I guess it's just a 'slightly unexpected behavior of the lemmings engine" not a bug. I will make a tutorial level for it in the first rank of my pack then (as that rank is supposed to introduce beginners to techniques in that category).

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
I too would not consider this odd behaviour, in fact I like this behaviour that the digger effectively is levitating for a few frames.
It would be too much work to remove this and as Nepster says it would break pretty much every digger solution replay.

I haven't really made any levels myself that rely on this behaviour but kudos to those who have because it must be a pretty amazing solution!