Author Topic: Builder generates terrain behind itself  (Read 2128 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Builder generates terrain behind itself
« on: September 06, 2016, 08:38:40 PM »

The builder generates terrain behind itself with every brick. Here, the builder barely bypasses the exit. Walkers coming from the left will jump into the exit, because they will walk over the extra terrain.

Keep? Remove the lo-res pixel (= 2x2 hi-res pixels) behind the builder? Remove the lo-res pixel and add a pixel at the tip of the bridge, keeping the shape?

-- Simon

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Re: Builder generates terrain behind itself
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 08:57:05 PM »
A similar sort of thing occurs also on NeoLemmix (and DOS Lemmings), although there isn't any terrain generated by the builder. I can confirm on one of the Lemmings Plus III levels that if you place the builder in a certain place he does avoid the exit, but lemmings walking from either side can go in.

Personally I wouldn't "Remove the lo-res pixel and add a pixel at the tip of the bridge, keeping the shape" because I like the simplistic detail of each brick. To be on the safe side I would keep the design as it is, just in case if there happens to be a level that require backstepping in order to be solved. If you want to make the mechanics more akin to Lemmings then the second option of removing the lo-res pixel would be fine.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: Builder generates terrain behind itself
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 10:22:53 PM »
Thanks. Yeah, I'd like to keep the brick's design the same. (Pixel moving from back to front) means (I place the entire brick further towards the front).

I'll have to sleep over this more.

Proxima doesn't like the builder backstep either, because a finished climber can build, thereby preventing other climbers from getting up.

The issue dovetails into check-intermediate-trigger-areas, picture I drew on IRC for a naive implementation with problems.

-- Simon