Author Topic: Lemmings 2 - The Tribes  (Read 23648 times)

Offline Frakkur

• View Profile
Lemmings 2 - The Tribes
« on: March 19, 2016, 06:07:34 PM »
I have recently discovered Lemmings (25years late, I know) and have been playing the games on http://playdosgamesonline.com/.

I am currently playing Lemmings 2 - The Tribes but there is only one level per Tribe.

Have I missed something or is there a site where the full game in available?

I am using a Windows laptop with Chrome.

Any help much appreciated.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings 2 - The Tribes
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 07:24:46 PM »
Try using the copy from here. You'll need DOSBox, if you're unfamiliar with how to set that up, let us know and someone will help you out.

http://www.camanis.net/lemmings/lemmings2.php

Make sure to run L2-FIX and not just L2. I don't think you need to bother with the installer; just unzip, go to that directory in DOSBox, and run it.

(You could also grab one of the other versions from there and use an emulator, but they vary as to how true they are to the original game - expect Amgia, which, strictly speaking, is the original version.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Frakkur

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 03:12:47 PM »
Thanks.

Despite being old enough to remember and have used DOS, I have never mastered DOSBox which is why I was using the site.

Any help/advice/instructions will be gratefully received.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 06:02:06 PM »
Using DOSBox is pretty similar to using a real DOS PC. The one thing to keep in mind is that you have to actually "mount" a folder from your PC, which will then make it look like a drive to any game in DOSBox.

Let's say for example that your copy of Lemmings 2 is in "C:\Lemm2\" (In practice, it's more likely to be somewhere like "C:\Users\[your username]\Games\Lemmings2\" or something like that, but we'll use a short folder for the example).

You'd enter this command:

mount C C:\Lemm2\

Once you've done this, within DOSBox, the folder that's actually C:\Lemm2\ on your PC, will appear to be just the C:. So from there, you can simply enter:

cd C:\
L2-FIX

And that should get you into the game.

If you find the game is laggy, you may need to increase (or sometimes, decrease) DOSBox's "cycles". Use Ctrl+F11 to decrease, Ctrl+F12 to increase.

Once you get more familiar with it, you can set the default cycles in the config file, and perhaps add your mount command to the AUTOEXEC section at the end. Don't worry about that at first, though.

For the record, while you'll need DOSBox (or emulation of a different system) for L2, L3 and L3D; if you're wanting to play the original Lemmings (or games based on it - eg. Oh No! More Lemmings!, Holiday Lemmings) at any stage, I highly recommend using Lemmix, Lemmini or NeoLemmix instead. They're much more convenient, and work directly on Windows. :) In particular, Lemmix replicates the DOS versions almost exactly, even including glitches (despite the name similarity, NeoLemmix does not; the name comes from the fact that it's forked from Lemmix's source code).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 11:13:59 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 06:12:26 PM »
I'm tempted to try DOS Box myself, I did install it a while ago but couldn't figure out how to use it. Do you actually need a Windows install disk to use it because I got to a boot screen but it couldn't boot a version of Windows for some reason.
I set up a section of my hard drive to run Windows 95 to see if it would sort out my Lemmings Paintball display issues but DOS Box just got stuck on a black boot screen.

Glad a topic popped up for this because I'm in limbo about what to do about recording Lemmings 2 The Tribes, was considering the SNES version but I'm having problems recording that console at the moment plus the L2 port on that is not that good anyway.

EDIT: turns out I might have been using the wrong program in the above case. I seem to be making headway on this now :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 06:27:51 PM by Flopsy86 »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 07:05:52 PM »
Doxbox [...] Do you actually need a Windows install disk to use it

To use Dosbox? No.

because I got to a boot screen

What did you do exactly that got you a boot screen?

When you run Dosbox, you get a graphical window with a command prompt. A command prompt is not a boot screen.

but it couldn't boot a version of Windows for some reason.

There is no Windows included in Dosbox.

Do you want to install Windows inside Dosbox?

I set up a section of my hard drive to run Windows 95 to see if it would sort out my Lemmings Paintball display issues but DOS Box just got stuck on a black boot screen.

You already have a partition with Win95. Paintball is a Win95 program, not a Dos program. Paintball should run natively on Win95 without installing Dosbox anywhere. Paintball will not run directly inside Dosbox.

-- Simon

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 08:48:46 PM »
It should also be possible (depending on your file browser) to just drag L2-FIX.COM onto your DosBox shortcut and it should run it automatically.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 09:10:53 PM by geoo »

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 09:04:06 PM »
Re to what Simon has posted.

I got DOS Box confused with Virtual Box, that program requires a Windows boot disc. Mobius cleared that up for me in IRC so just ignore what I said in the previous post. :XD:

I have managed to get L2 running in DOS Box but now I can't get the sound to function, it pops up in the command prompt Sound FX failed to load.

The L2 Fix file has failed to fix this problem as well.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 10:12:51 PM »
Confused Virtualbox with Dosbox: No problem, thanks for clarifying.

No sound: In Dosbox, run install in the Lemmings 2 dir, and pick Sound Blaster, 220h, IRQ 7, DMA 1. Answer everything until you're back at the prompt. Run the game. See if music and sfx are enabled in the game options.

-- Simon

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 01:31:45 AM »
Thanks for that Simon, I've now got the sound working. I didn't realise the install file needed to be run using Dos Box aswell.

I'm now having problems with choppy sound but I realise that is down to the configuration of which sound blaster and how many cycles in the config file.

Thanks for all your help :thumbsup:

Offline Frakkur

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 07:04:29 PM »
Thanks namida, I've just downloaded NeoLemmix and I think I'll be a while..................

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 12:12:53 AM »
I hear that you are thinking about doing a lemmings 2 the tribes playthrough Flopsy. I think the SNES one is not a bad choice if you were to choose that one.

Been enjoying your lemmings paintball play throughs. :) :)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 10:45:48 AM »
I hear that you are thinking about doing a lemmings 2 the tribes playthrough Flopsy. I think the SNES one is not a bad choice if you were to choose that one.

The SNES version is maybe the worst port in my opinion. So many levels dumped down in difficulty. Whole traps are missing like the eyes in the cavelem tribe. Also the music is way worse for some tribes, again cavelem would be my example here: Some uncoordinated bongos instead of the awesome tune that most people are familiar with.

I actually managed to get my recording sofware (Open Broadcaster Software) working with the DOSBOX version of Lemmings 2 the tribes. It recognises the window and the sound is also working.

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 01:45:29 AM »
I've managed to get L2 The Tribes working in DOS Box but the game runs slowly and the music is not playing properly so I'm guessing my settings aren't correct or my laptop is not good enough to run the game.

I've been messing around with the amount of cycles in cpu settings. Setting it to Max gets lag of about 1 second between audio and video. Setting it to 10000 gets the music lagging whenever I move the cursor, it's so bad I don't even proceed to play.

What settings are you using in your DOS Box IchoTolot, and moreover are you running a better PC than 2.2GHz Quad core processor and 8GB RAM?

The issues are so bad at the moment, I dread what recording in DOS Box will be like.

I can record the SNES version now but it would be in an emulator on PC grams88, still haven't resolved my issues with recording off an actual SNES. Eventhough some people think the SNES version is the worst version, it's the only one I can get to run properly at the moment and would be able to record in good quality.

Although I would really like to play the DOS version of Tribes if I can get it to run at a decent capacity.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 02:57:56 AM »
Turning cycles up can in some cases make lag problems worse. Try turning them down.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2016, 03:21:24 AM »
core=auto
cputype=auto

Cycles around 10,000. Doesn't matter whether set in the config file, or raised from 3,000 to 10,000 during play.

Runs smoothly on a 10-year-old laptop at 2x 1.6 GHz, 3 GB RAM.

-- Simon

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 07:01:37 AM »
Ok, I managed to get the game running in a small window with barely noticeable problems but I change to full screen and the lag is unbearable. Other problems I've noticed is how the mouse cursor gets locked in the game window and I'm unable to do anything off the window without pressing Alt+Enter or pressing the Windows button.
This is with the settings which Simon suggested. It's the best I've managed to get the game to run so far so the settings do seem to be correct but I'm having so many problems trying to record anything, not to mention the fact that the window I'm trying to play the game on is only 20% of my screen.

I'm thinking the DOS version is not really suitable for my recording software anyway. It seems to knock off my screen capture software so easily and makes it unresponsive, it would corrupt my recordings and I can't risk that happening.
Would it be any better if I recorded the Genesis version of Tribes or would that be just as bad as the SNES one.
I'd be much more comfortable doing an emulated version of one of the console ports due to the incompatibility between my capture software and DOS box.

I appreciate everyone's help with trying to resolve this for me by the way :thumbsup:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2016, 10:17:11 AM »
Have you tried to emulate the Amiga version? It's probably a bit more work to set up, but if the console ports supposedly aren't as good...
My Lemmings projects

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2016, 11:20:29 AM »
Ok, I managed to get the game running in a small window with barely noticeable problems but I change to full screen and the lag is unbearable. Other problems I've noticed is how the mouse cursor gets locked in the game window and I'm unable to do anything off the window without pressing Alt+Enter or pressing the Windows button.
This is with the settings which Simon suggested. It's the best I've managed to get the game to run so far so the settings do seem to be correct but I'm having so many problems trying to record anything, not to mention the fact that the window I'm trying to play the game on is only 20% of my screen.

I'm thinking the DOS version is not really suitable for my recording software anyway. It seems to knock off my screen capture software so easily and makes it unresponsive, it would corrupt my recordings and I can't risk that happening.
Would it be any better if I recorded the Genesis version of Tribes or would that be just as bad as the SNES one.
I'd be much more comfortable doing an emulated version of one of the console ports due to the incompatibility between my capture software and DOS box.

I appreciate everyone's help with trying to resolve this for me by the way :thumbsup:

I've always ran it in window mode, so I did not encounter these problems.

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2016, 04:39:56 PM »
I did look into Amiga emulation a few weeks ago but that is much more trouble than it's worth in my opinion. It seems more trouble than getting DOS Box to work.

I'm just more of a quality person so I'd much rather get good quality recordings and record a port which isn't going to give me much trouble, that's why I'd rather emulate a console version of Tribes. If the port isn't as good then that doesn't bother me so much as long as I record a good quality series.

Hope I don't have this much trouble when it comes to recording Revolution :XD:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2016, 04:49:04 PM »
Random idea: in dosbox.conf, try
output=opengl

...or one of the other output methods. Maybe that plays better with the recording software.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 06:09:15 PM by Simon »

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2016, 04:49:24 PM »
I don't blame you for not wanting to bother with PC emulators. In my own experience, at least, DOS box is totally stupid, why they had to or chose make it mimic how DOS use to actually work is beyond me, but it's completely not intuitive or easy to use. Compared with most console emulators which are extremely easy. Just open up, load game, play. Simple and easy.

Hope I don't have this much trouble when it comes to recording Revolution :XD:

You mentioned in chat I think that you got Windows XP? All the [good] recordings I've seen so far on youtube of Revolution are with XP so you may not have any problems at all. The problems I mentioned *may* all be due to Windows 7 and above.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2016, 05:31:31 PM »
Compared with most console emulators which are extremely easy. Just open up, load game, play. Simple and easy.

To be fair, this is how virtually all consoles for which emulators exist work too, except Nintendo DS (and even that isn't far from load game, play). I think the idea with DOSBox is that it fully emulates a DOS PC, not just runs DOS programs - for example, I think you can load various DOS background processes, or even load some older versions of Windows inside it, which probably would not be doable if it merely ran games.
My Lemmings projects

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2016, 06:16:17 PM »
Re: graphics issues in fullscreen, I recall having some troubles as well. I think trying out different settings in the dosbox.conf might help, in particular the fullresolution and output parameters. See here for reference: http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Dosbox.conf#.5Bsdl.5D

I don't blame you for not wanting to bother with PC emulators. In my own experience, at least, DOS box is totally stupid, why they had to or chose make it mimic how DOS use to actually work is beyond me, but it's completely not intuitive or easy to use. Compared with most console emulators which are extremely easy. Just open up, load game, play. Simple and easy.
Just drag your executable onto a DosBox shortcut and it runs your executable. Very simple.
Or create a .bat file which contains the text "path/to/dosbox.exe L2-FIX.COM" and double-click it.

Be glad you haven't used WinUAE yet to emulate Amiga stuff.

Doesn't the Genesis version have the same levels instead of dumbed down versions like SNES? Then that could be an option too (though a chore having to play Lemmings without a mouse).

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2016, 07:10:47 PM »
I've been looking into the Genesis version recently, the music is different to the SNES but not the same mostly as the DOS/Amiga versions. There are 50 lemmings on Genesis instead of 40 on the SNES.

I think the game is very much the same as the SNES as a whole though, I watched bits of a longplay on Youtube. Except the eyes seem to be in the background of the Cavelems tribe and the music sounds much better than the bad bongos on the SNES.

It doesn't seem as dumbed down as the SNES version from what I've seen, I might opt for the Genesis version instead of SNES.

EDIT: In my opinion the only reason the SNES is better than the Genesis version is because of the mouse support. Other than that, Genesis seems better on so many other things.

Offline Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2016, 08:06:35 PM »
There is mouse support in Lemmings 2 for Mega Drive/Genesis.

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2016, 08:15:19 PM »
Wasn't aware of that :lem-mindblown:

Didn't know there was a mouse accessory for Genesis

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2016, 09:40:54 PM »

As geoo explained, there are various means for DOSBox that can help make it easier to run games, at least for specific games.  Beyond that, you really can't blame the emulator on this:  DOS games in general (and more generally, DOS programs) were never as easy setup-wise as "just insert catridge and press Power button" console games, which being special-purposed devices were of course designed to make that part hassle-free.  So blame DOS if you must, but the emulator is merely emulating the same pains you would've gone through back in the days when Windows doesn't exist yet.

In any case, it sounds like the issue now is not merely running the game, but that there are performance/compatibility issue running DOSBox together with whatever recording software is being used.  There's really nothing to guarantee that a particular console emulator would fare any better in that regard, you just have to try and see if you get lucky or unlucky.

==========

As for version differences:

- the "original" versions in DOS/Amiga have 60 lemmings per tribe, rather than the 50 in Genesis and 40 in SNES, though I don't believe this has any meaningful impact to any levels.
- the SNES version definitely has a lot of changes, "dumb down" can be a fair assessment compare to the DOS/Amiga versions.  I don't recall the Genesis version specifically but from skimming walkthroughs, I think it is at least closer to DOS/Amiga compare to SNES.  If I have time I can try to find and call out any specific levels that have important differences.  There is a known bug on Genesis where walls and ceiling almost but don't quite extend to the top boundary of the level, allowing you on some levels to bypass some parts by walking on top of the ceiling.  But I believe this only really impacts like 2 or 3 levels, and you can simply restrain yourself from exploiting this bug in your own playing.
- I also vaguely recall that some of the console versions have better selection support (eg. directional select) compare to DOS/Amiga, though I no longer remember the exact details.  It shouldn't matter too much though in most levels, but you never know when it may come in handy.

I'd imagine you definitely want to try playing it on a setup with mouse support if at all possible, since a good number of Lemmings 2 levels feature wind-driven and similar skills where you need to constantly adjust the cursor position to properly direct the lemming's movements.  That will probably be easier to do with mouse.

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2016, 10:27:25 PM »
Regarding DOS Box, I did run my SNES emulator ROM of Lemmings 2 and tried to record that and I can easily switch out of the window and go to my recording software should I need to and the recording carries on.
However whenever DOS Box runs, it does something to the recording software and it makes the recording stop occasionally and it doesn't even save the recording, it just saves a corrupted file which is very strange behaviour.
Because of this I cannot even show you a video of what happens because it just wrecks the recorded file.

With what I have in front of me, I think it's best to pursue a Genesis or SNES port playthrough due to the fact that it is better for me to run a console emulator while screen capturing.

DOS Box runs L2 pretty well in a windowed format and I'm not putting the program down. I think it's good for what it is and I can see why others would like it but I just cannot run it full screen without it lagging, and I just don't want the risk of having to repeat levels just because of recording issues, it won't bode well for my live playthrough format and it would also affect my mood and attitude towards the project.
I didn't intend to come across as being against DOS Box, I just think it's not suitable for what I'm trying to do.

On the note of Genesis vs SNES, I noticed the Genesis version was remarkably better than the SNES version. It's strange to think that the SNES version beat the Genesis version when it comes to a port of Lemmings 1 and when I say that I mean the SNES version was closer to the Amiga version than the Genesis port was. I know some here prefer the Genesis for the unique levels which arose from the port.

I'm not the sort to exploit glitches anyway, especially if it means going along ceilings.

I've done some comparisons between Genesis and SNES L2 and noticed that multiple SNES levels were changed because of non functioning traps. There's a Cavelems level which revolves around those red eye traps but the SNES version didn't have those traps so just instead inserted a lot of steel around the level as obstacles. I haven't extensively compared the two though because I don't want to spoil it for when I come to play L2 (I haven't played through L2 properly before).

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2016, 11:59:28 PM »
Other problems I've noticed is how the mouse cursor gets locked in the game window and I'm unable to do anything off the window without pressing Alt+Enter or pressing the Windows button.

In case anyone (else) run into this: there is a setting in the DOSBox config file for that, look for "autolock=true" under the "[sdl]" section and change it to false.  The config documentation also mentions you can always press Ctrl+F10 to unlock manually even when autolock is set to true.

Out of curiosity, what software are you using to do the recording?

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2016, 12:14:29 AM »
I use Cyberlink Screen Recorder, it was bundled with the software which I edit my videos with so it's not a great screen recorder but it gets the job done.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2016, 12:16:15 AM »
I forgot to mention that DOSBox itself has a recording feature built-in.  It might work better than using a separate screen recording software.  However, it won't help if you plan to record more than just the game (eg. if you want to record yourself talking while playing the game).  I think it also saves with a special codec which may potentially cause issues loading the saved movie in an editor afterwards.  I'll take a look at Cyberlink later this week and see.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2016, 03:17:27 AM »
I forgot to mention that DOSBox itself has a recording feature built-in.  It might work better than using a separate screen recording software.  However, it won't help if you plan to record more than just the game (eg. if you want to record yourself talking while playing the game).  I think it also saves with a special codec which may potentially cause issues loading the saved movie in an editor afterwards.  I'll take a look at Cyberlink later this week and see.

DOSBox's built in recording has an issue at least with L1, where every time a new screen is entered, it starts a new video file rather than adding to the same one; my guess would be this is due to the different resolutions used on different screens. I don't know if this holds true for L2.

I (and probably several others here) would highly recommend switching to OBS for recording, by the way. :P Although I doubt it'll do much for the issues you're having, as it sounds like DOSBox itself is responsible for them.
My Lemmings projects

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2016, 01:17:03 PM »
Cool I never knew dosbox had a recording feature in it. I guess you never know till you try it whether or not it would work okay. But that might be an issue everytime it loads a new screen it starts a new recording, I wonder if there is a way to work around that one. I think if you do record things separately there are some good programs where you can connect it back up so that it is one video. I bet you are already ahead of things Flopsy. :)

I forget which one I used to record but I think it may of been fraps which can be annoying to set up as it used to cut out after a while but I think that depended on which version you had.

One thing I was thinking about suggesting although it could be something more people are against was seeing more of the failed attempts. I know it might not seem a popular way to do the recordings, see what other people think of it.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2016, 10:43:26 AM »
I don't recall the Genesis version specifically but from skimming walkthroughs, I think it is at least closer to DOS/Amiga compare to SNES.  If I have time I can try to find and call out any specific levels that have important differences.

Okay, one other notable difference I found is the chain element, which is absent in the Genesis version.

It's typically replaced by an extra skill for equivalent effect, like a parachute, or minor adjustments to the level to make it not needed.  Probably a blessing in disguise as using the chain is more a hassle than anything.  At least now you know what it is referring to in some of the level titles that use the word "swing". ;)

I believe all other game elements exist and are functional in the Genesis version.

Sports 1 and Sports 5 on Genesis are also completely redone, basically think of them as new levels unique to Genesis, although I guess they do retain vague traces of the "spirit" of the levels from DOS/Amiga that they replace.  I haven't played them myself so I don't know if they are easier or harder than the DOS/Amiga versions.

The number of certain skills given in a few particular levels probably make more sense when you know the original has 60 rather than 50 lemmings per tribe, but otherwise I don't believe there are any cases where you end up with significantly different or easier solutions as a result.

Overall the Genesis version should offer almost the same experience as DOS/Amiga version, especially if you get mouse working.

Offline Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2016, 04:17:59 PM »
One thing that can complicate exactly the same level is impossibility to use two (or more) 'Glue pourers' at the same time on the SNES and Genesis.
Very interesting is 'Egyptian tribe' level 10. It is possible to use 'Mortar' to make the shortcut in the floor, then use the 'Glue pourers' to close the openings on the path. But, that trick is only possible on the Amiga, Atari ST and Archimedes. On the PC and FM Towns 'Mortar' can't open the hole on the floor (one pixel still remain) and there is no shortcut for that level. On the Mega Drive/Genesis it is possible to open the hole with the 'Mortar' but there is no time to use one 'Glue pourer' after another before the Lemmings crowd reach the openings on their way. So this level is much complicated to complete. On the contrary, SNES has small difference in the level layout and it's possible to open the 'Mortar' hole on the right side (just on the left side on the other ports). That makes 'Egyptian' 10 the easiest level in the whole game on the SNES. That one 'Mortar' is all what is needed to complete that level perfectly.
Gameboy, Game Gear and Master system have too different design of that level to compare walkthrough.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 02:29:45 AM by Leo »

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2016, 06:22:12 PM »
@grams88: Yeah I have decent software which can cut videos up/string videos together into one video file. You'll see what it can do when you watch the very late Paintball videos since I've finally finished editing them :XD: (I use Cyberlink Powerdirector 14 by the way, my screen capture software came bundled with this).
It even allows you to add multiple audio tracks so it's ideal for adding commentary tracks and I can also adjust the volumes on the tracks so the music is not drowning out my commentary for example.

The way I did Paintball in the later videos where there was loads of failed attempts in Taxing and especially Mayhem. Was I would show a few failed attempts if they are early on in the level then I would cut them out and just cut to when I get back to the point where I failed. And then if I fail again, I would again cut to back to that stage of the level on my next attempt that makes it that far. Kind of like how RTW did his YT videos. I try and make sure I don't spend too long on one level in finished/edited video time basicly.

@ccexplore: I'm happy to see the chains are absent to be honest, I never understood why they were put in to be honest as it was such an annoying mechanic.

Nice to see some new Sports levels in the Genesis version, then again I have never played Tribes properly so would not know what to expect in that tribe anyway.

I can confirm I have got the mouse working in the Fusion emulator I'm using. So far so good for the recording, I'm going to save state between levels just in case something goes wrong and the emulator "stops working" for some reason, that way I don't lose progress should the program stop.
I have had the "stopped working" message but that is only if I try to load another ROM while running a ROM already so I know what not to do.

@Leo: While I'm trying to avoid spoilers, I'll take note of what you said about not being able to use multiple pourer Lemmings at once.

Offline Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2016, 10:29:07 PM »
Genesis 'Lemmings 2' has passwords, so you can't lose your progress. Just enter the password and you are back in the game. It's not a problem to find all 12 passwords (each tribe has it own passwords) for all completed levels on the internet, but it's a problem to find passwords for all the levels available but not completed. Why is this important, you may ask? Because if you are enter all of the final passwords it's really annoying to play this game anymore. Whatever level you play, the game assume you should be awarded with the final animation and you can't avoid that. As I remember, game even won't to go back to the menu after the animation. So, the only solution is to perform reset.
But, you are lucky because I have all the passwords for the unfinished game with all the levels accessible. Here they are:

My advice is to enter all the passwords (not an easy job, I know) and then save the state from the emulator. So you can start the game, load the state and play any level you want and don't care anymore about saving your progress.

And one more thing, 'Fusion' emulator can work as USA, JAP or EUR.
Can be selected in options menu or with the F-keys:
Options -> Country -> USA(F1), JAP(F2), EUR(F3)
It's easiest to play EUR version, because the game works faster with USA or JAP settings.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 03:47:41 PM by Leo »

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2016, 02:47:20 AM »
Figured I'd post this in this thread instead of making a new one:

I've been trying to get golds on all the levels, but Sports 1 has been giving me a particular amount of trouble. I don't have access to my actual 486 right now, so it might be due to an emulation issue with DOSBox, but as far as I can tell, in order to minimize deaths the bomb must be used as early as possible.  However, for some reason the game won't let me use it for a few seconds after the first lemming gets back up, which, depending on how long specifically it takes, will either cause lemmings to end up in a position that makes the level unwinnable or kill 4 (you can only lose 3 to get gold, if I'm not mistaken).  The longer I wait, the more lemmings die. Any idea what causes this?  I've tried it several times so I'm fairly confident it's not just a fluke.  Spam clicking the spot where the lemmings land consistently results in the outcome where 4 lemmings die; waiting longer increases the number.  It looks like it should be possible to use the skill earlier but for some reason you can't (at least not in the right location).

EDIT: Using second lemming for first flamethrower seems to be the solution.
May take multiple attempts. I think there might be some sort of RNG factor as well.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 04:48:03 AM by Dullstar »

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2016, 05:37:21 AM »
The problem is, if multiple lemmings land on the trampoline at roughly the same time, only one makes it.

Similarly, if there's a stunner under your cursor, you can't assign anything.

Getting gold is a lot of trial-and-error, you need to bomb at the right moment, and the assignment only works if you place the cursor in the correct position. So no RNG factor, just a very specific setup that works (but it works every time).

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2016, 10:17:18 AM »
In that level, gold is awarded with as little as 57 saved lemmings, but in the Amiga version and native DOS you can save some more. I think the problem is the emulation via DOSBox.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2016, 05:59:56 AM »
I think the problem is the emulation via DOSBox.
I don't know what you base this claim on...

The Amiga version has different physics. For the DOS version, you can save 58 if you get the setup right (that's what I was referring to in my above post; I forgot 57 is already sufficient for gold, giving you more leeway). If I recall, L2 prioritizes lemmings that came out of the hatch later, and in Sports 1 those are the guys that just landed on their back, so you need to make sure you don't have one of them under your cursor while you try to assign the bomber.
Sports 1 DOS also has a glitchy 100% solution due to ccexplore, but it's extremely hard to pull off.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2016, 11:31:38 PM »
That level was definitely finicky on both Amiga and DOS and honestly, not that interesting solution-wise (ignoring the glitch solution).  It's arguably a good thing that the level was replaced with something else in ports like Genesis and SNES.

But I'm quite sure I've gotten 59/60 or 58/60 on DOSBox (not using the glitch solution).  There is no emulation issue AFAIK, it was just a problematic level design.