Author Topic: Experimental Releases  (Read 27874 times)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: Experimental Releases
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2017, 03:32:05 PM »
At this stage, I think we're not too far from (FINALLY!) being able to have a V10.13.16 stable release. At least off the top of my head, the only remaining things I want to do first are:
- Implement Proxima's suggestion of click-and-hold for the skill panel frameskip buttons
- (Possibly) ensure all default graphic sets have trigger areas consistent with a set of conventions, rather than somewhat arbitrary
- A few more fixes to the default graphic sets (some receiver trigger areas aren't quite where they should be, currently)
- More testing, of course
You forgot:
- Re-Implement the V10.12 skill bar layout (possibly using the new minimap design inside the minimap) for windowed mode, cf. http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=3203.0

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2017, 02:13:01 PM »
^ I'm going to release a stable release with only the new skillpanel first, to get wider feedback. If there's widespread demand for the old panel after that, I will implement it again in V10.(13/14).17.

Anyway, new Player experimental, V10.13.16:787488D. This will probably be the last V10.13.16 experimental before a stable release (unless major bugs are found); it may even end up being identical (except for being marked as "experimental") to the stable release, as the primary reason to not make a stable release yet is that the associated tools and official game conversion NXPs aren't completely ready yet.

http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=114

Changes from previous experimental:
- Fixed bug: Miners can somewhat destroy one-way-down arrows (similar to steel glitching in DOS L1).
- Fixed bug: Receivers with 0x0 trigger areas have weird behaviour.
- Fixed bug: Replays that time out during a mass test after the goal is reached would be marked as "Undetermined" rather than "Pass".
- Fixed bug: Invisible and/or fake windows can cause error messages or incorrect spawn locations, especially if both occur in the same level.
- Fixed bug: If a constructive skill (except Stoner) pixel is added at an off-screen position, it will visually (but not physics-wise) wrap around to the other side instead of being discarded.
- Includes the latest versions of IchoTolot's L2 style conversions.
- It is now possible to use the skill panel framestep buttons by clicking and holding (only applies to the one-frame skips, not the one-second / five-second skips).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2017, 04:57:09 PM »
I forgot to mention two bugs I found yesterday:
1) If a replay directory for a level pack does not exist yet and one wants to save a replay, then the player displays an error message about not being able to find the directory. If one then creates the directory by hand, everything works fine.
2) I played an old version of the ONML-pack, namely from V10.10. Each time when I start a level, the player generates an error with the ingenious error message "0", before starting the level correctly. I can certainly live with having error messages when loading old level packs (though of course I would prefer that everything works fine), but then the error message should be a lot more descriptive than just "0".

And I am very, very sad that the new version makes a huge step backwards regarding the skill panel in windowed mode. :'(

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2017, 10:36:36 AM »
Okay, I spoke too soon. Here's another exp player build.

Experimental Player V10.13.16:63cd48d.

http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=115

Changes:
- Fixed bug: Manually saving replays on the postview screen fails when using automatic filenames, unless the folder for the pack in question already exists.
- Fixed bug: Mac-style rotation always occurs on newer packs, even if the NXP specifies not to use it.
- Fixed bug: On older (but still compatible) NXPs, primarily those built for V10.10, a message box simply saying "0" pops up every time a level is started.
- Fixed bug: Skill panel zoom may cap at a lower value than it should.
- Added a "Compact Skill Panel" option which sacrificies the extra buttons (except Fast Forward) to instead give a smaller - or thus, more-zoomable - skill panel.
- If the config file has an unrecognized option in it, this option will be preserved when re-saving settings.
- Removed the April 1st rickroll prank.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2017, 12:30:14 PM »
Okay, and here's the accompanying experimentals for the other tools. These are pretty much release candidates now; if no issues are reported (or when all reported issues are fixed), it'll be time for the stable versions. Generally, no further features will be added before the next stable release, unless they're extremely simple.

Editor V10.13.13:2a1543e: http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=117
NOTE: Includes graphic sets as some have been updated. If you have a customized styles.ini file, do not overwrite it when extracting.

Changes:
- Fixed bug: When changing terrain pieces or objects to a different piece, there will also be an effect on the other type of piece if the current selection includes both types.
- Updated versions of some of the included graphic sets.
- VGASPEC support has been fully stripped.

Flexi V10.13.15:1983844: http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=118

Changes:
- Removed the "Hidden" type for talismans.

GSTool V10.13.14:2465bbb: http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=119

Changes:
- Fixed a bug where, when editing an existing graphic set, receivers may sometimes be saved with their existing trigger area size instead of 1x1 (causing NeoLemmix to think the set hasn't been upgraded and ultimately giving weird spawn locations when exiting the receiver).
My Lemmings projects

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2017, 03:52:17 PM »
Two more bugs in the current experimental version:
1) If you do a backwards frameskip beyond the start of the level while paused, the screen does not update correctly and still displays the previous situation instead of the initial state with a closed hatch. This is a purely display-related bug, because the actual physics are fine. In case this makes a difference: I disabled any of the high-quality imaging (for menus, level screen and minimap) and use windowed mode.
2) While using the compact skill panel, the timer and the lemmings count always start to blink, regardless of the options chosen in the menu.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2017, 11:11:32 AM »
1) Both based on the code and testing if I can reproduce it (without changing to match your settings), I don't think many (if any) settings would affect it. I can certianly reproduce this bug in fullscreen, with the full-size skill panel and high quality minimap.
2) Again, the options don't seem to matter here, I can reproduce this bug on the full-size panel.

Will get a fix sorted later tonight.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2017, 06:06:14 PM »
Here another bug: When traing to load the level Tough 5 of nin10doadict's "Lemmings Squared", NeoLemmix (in the current experimental version) crashes with the error message:
ObtainObject loop on "bubble:17". Please report this.
Bug is reported, my duty done, and have fun ;)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2017, 10:40:27 AM »
All recent experimentals have been taken down as a stable release has now been made. If a copy of them is needed for some reason, please compile it from the git repo, or if you can't, ask me to do so and send it to you.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2017, 12:37:17 PM »
Player V10.13.17:bfe87e5.

NeoLemmix website is acting up (on the upload side) at the moment, so here's a Dropbox link for now: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dz97432n61i3awi/NeoLemmix_10-13-17_bfe87e5.exe?dl=1

Changes:
- Fixed bug: Red (or blue) "R" may appear on skill panel when making release rate changes while paused.
- Added support for a "hold to scroll" hotkey. The key is "A" by default (or "J" in the Lix-like setup).
- Added an option to toggle whether moving the mouse to the edge of the screen scrolls or not. Default setting is that it does.
- General improvements to the code.

This experimental is 100% content / physics compatible with V10.13.16-B.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2017, 01:48:10 PM »
(or "J" in the Lix-like setup).

You asked earlier what players would expect more on RMB: hold-to-scroll or priority invert. My answer was that I didn't know, at least Icho wouldn't use either.

If only one makes it into the default layout, I'll recommend hold-to-scroll on RMB over priority invert on RMB. Reasoning: It's more common to scroll than to assign super-precisely.

-- Simon

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2017, 12:31:53 AM »
Putting it on J for now was simply a matter of "Find any key that's still free". The current key assignment, especially for the Lix like setup, is not finalized.

Right now, I'm more interested in how people find the function itself.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #87 on: May 22, 2017, 02:10:46 PM »
Experimental player V10.13.17:148ddd6 released.

http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=147

Changes:
- Skill panel code has been almost entirely rewritten by Nepster. Please report any skill panel related bugs you discover, no matter how minor, especially if they don't exist in the current stable version.
- Fixed bug from previous experimental: Release rate changes done with the mouse while paused happen way too fast.
- Probably fixed bug: OGG musics without looping information may loop incorrectly in some cases, exact cause unknown.
- Probably fixed bug: NeoLemmix may crash if the mouse is clicked during a fadeout transition.
- Fixed bug: Click-hold for framestepping not working.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 10:10:27 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2017, 11:51:05 AM »
Here's an exciting one!

Experimental player V11.14.19 released. "Whoa, the 10 changed?!" Yes, that's right - because this is the first public new-formats experimental I'm releasing!

Be warned - this version is definitely NOT suitable for general usage at this point. Even if you're the type to usually prefer using the newest experimentals rather than stable versions, this version is not suitable for that. It's suitable for those who want to help test for bugs or missing features (many of these are already known, but if you're not sure, report it anyway - the worst that can happen is you get a response of "we already know about that"), or those who are curious about how the new-formats version might work. And it is definitely not suitable for use for trying to create serious content - file formats may change without warning, and without assistance given to converting affected files. Any content created should be low-quality test stuff only. :)

I've included tools for converting graphic sets and NXPs*, but haven't given much information on how to use them. Figure it out, or ask for anything you're not sure on. (For the NXP convertor in particular, note that you must drag-and-drop the NXP you wish to convert onto the "NXPConvert.exe" file itself.) Graphic sets for conversion can be accompanied by a text file with extra information for the conversion tool to use; rather than explain anything (ask if you have questions) I've simply attached the text files for the default styles to this post. Please note that these tools will NOT work if they're moved to somewhere other than the NeoLemmix folder (actually, the graphic set convertor might, but I make no promises; the NXP convertor definitely won't, as it relies on many of NeoLemmix's data files). Also - if the NXP you want to convert uses any graphic sets that aren't already included, you'll need to convert those first.

If you'd rather not mess around with converting stuff yourself, I've already included copies of all the official games, all of my level packs, and MazuLems; and all the graphic sets that are usually included with NeoLemmix. Please do note that this version currently does not support LVL files; it will only work with levels in the NXLV format. I do not intend to drop LVL file support; I just still need to implement it properly with the new level system.

* Somewhat. It only really converts the levels and most of the system texts, including pre-level / post-level texts. It currently doesn't handle eg. custom skill panel graphics, even though this version of NeoLemmix itself does support this.

So, in short:
- Do not use this version for general use purposes, even if you're the kind of person who normally does that with experimentals
- Do not try to create content for this version, except for low-quality stuff for the purpose of testing
- Do report any bugs or missing features you find, unless you're 100% sure that we already know about it. Do so in the Bugs & Suggestions board, and make sure to mention your bug / suggestion report relates to the new-formats experimentals.
- Do feel free to download it and take a look at how it works. Most of the data files (any with extensions that being with ".nx") are plain text, and can be opened in any text editor.
- You may make suggestions, but they'll generally be lower-priority than just getting things working in general, unless they're either very good, or very easy to implement (or best of all, both)
- LVL files currently cannot be used with this version (except by converting them through the NXP conversion tool), you'll need to use NXLV levels

So, here's the download link! Enjoy!

http://www.neolemmix.com/download.php?id=150

Nepster has been working on a level editor which can work with NXLV files directly, but it's up to him if / when he wants to release it (I have very little to do with that project). There is currently no Flexi or GSTool equivalent for new formats; those things must currently be done by hand, but tools will come in the future, probably before any stable new-formats release.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 12:05:02 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2017, 02:50:53 PM »
Will the custom menu graphics such as the custom menu background and text be removed (as I've noticed in Lemmings Plus V)? I personally wouldn't want this. :(

Also, when pressing F2 at the level preview screen, it gives me a List Index Out of Bounds (0) error. It should not do this, but instead re-open the level select / pack selection menu.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!