Author Topic: custom levels for Lemmings 2 thread  (Read 79892 times)

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: custom levels for Lemmings 2 thread
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2010, 09:04:42 AM »
Yes, now this makes use of all the diver-features that my solution makes use of as well.
Only little difference is that I shoot the rope upwards from the bottom instead of downwards from the middle, but it ends up with exactly the same setup for the rest of the level.
The spoiler section only describes my solution a little more detailed.

I didn't really have a look how to fix that backroute, I just couldn't be bothered considering the nature of the level. Reducing the amount of divers should work, yeah.

btw, the color of your previous spoiler tag is a little off :P

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2010, 09:21:47 PM »
Ok, got a new level with a minimalistic skill set, hopefully not that easy though.

(Please don't backroute it  :o, I already checked it quite a bit and even mirrored the entire level at some point to prevent a backroute...)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2010, 11:42:00 PM »
(Please don't backroute it  :o, I already checked it quite a bit and even mirrored the entire level at some point to prevent a backroute...)

Ha ha. :D Well, no promises.

[edit: um, you tell me if this is a backroute or not... (it's kinda hard to tell with the extremely minimalistic skill set)]

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2010, 05:23:20 AM »
I knew mirroring the level would have a downside...wish I could have the lems just come out facing left.

Anyway, let's try this:

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2010, 09:59:28 AM »
Definitely made it harder.  Here's my solution.  I suppose it could be a backroute since it doesn't feel like your usual kind of solution.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2010, 07:44:13 PM »
Yep, you're right about this, though it's actually a kinda elegant solution.

Ok, I did a change now that eliminates a bunch of possibilities, I didn't want to do it for precisely that reason, but it seems to be the only clean way to eliminate your current solution.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2010, 12:43:54 AM »
Here's the solution I now have, which feels enough like your kind of solutions that I think it's intended.

It might actually be okay to not eliminate my v2 solution if you don't want to, it's arguable whether for most people that solution would be easier to find or not.

[edit: I should also mention that it's a pretty nifty level for how few skills you're given to work with :thumbsup:]

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2010, 03:53:29 AM »
I've been keeping my distance from this lately, but I have looked at all the custom levels from this thread. I saw the auto-filler thingy in a level, and I knew I just had to build a puzzle around it.

So here it is - only my second (:() L2 custom level.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2010, 07:26:16 AM »
I saw the auto-filler thingy in a level, and I knew I just had to build a puzzle around it.

Wow.  That is truly such an inspired, elegant, brilliant level concept especially given its utter simplicity (for those who haven't tried it yet, let's just say it's so simple conceptually, it's pretty much beyond a doubt backroute-proof, yet you won't be bored by it and hopefully a bit challenged). :thumbsup: The pairing of the auto-filler object with that skill was truly a match made in heaven given their complementary functions. 8)  I haven't actually solved it yet in its entirety, though I can pretty much see exactly how to go about solving it, and unlike your last level I would definitely be delighted to execute the complete solution for real at some point.  Cool.

[edit: solution successfully executed.  Worked out even better than it first looked.  Just when I thought I was done and just needed the auto-filler to take its course, it turned out the exit requires some additional special handling as well (talk about a twist! ;)).  Screenshots available upon request, but really, with so few skills given, people are better off exploring the level on their own.]

So here it is - only my second (:() L2 custom level.

Well, I think that actually makes you tie me in terms of the number of custom L2 levels created :-\ (discounting backroute-elimination variants of my levels), and you handily beat me at number of custom L1 levels.

Sorry that you have to stay away, but it would be a joy to me and others if you ever get back again into the various challenge, glitch-finding, and level designing activities you were so good at. ;) Are you at least still active in multiplayer L++?

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2010, 11:26:25 AM »
Wow.  That is truly such an inspired, elegant, brilliant level concept especially given its utter simplicity

Well what can I say... I'm glad you like it. Thanks! :thumbsup:

I did wonder if the execution was a little tough (what with the fiddly fan controls and all), but evidently it's not that great an issue.

Sorry that you have to stay away, but it would be a joy to me and others if you ever get back again into the various challenge, glitch-finding, and level designing activities you were so good at. ;) Are you at least still active in multiplayer L++?

Just burnt out. That's about all there is to it. :XD: I'm afraid I've done pretty much nothing lemmings-related in almost 2 months...

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2010, 09:40:31 PM »
I did wonder if the execution was a little tough (what with the fiddly fan controls and all), but evidently it's not that great an issue.

Well, one of the things you missed during your burn-out is the discovery of a better way to fan with help of keyboard, in particular the ability to pause without interrupting an ongoing fanning.  So fan controls are no longer quite as fiddly as they once were.

Just to see what it's like, I did have a brief try doing it w/o those techniques.  As expected it was a bit tougher, although I think it becomes more manageable with some practice.  Ultimately the level doesn't require any pixel precision or even any particular fast actions, so it's just a matter of getting comfortable controlling said skill with fan, getting the feel of how to position of the fan relative to the lemming for steering it in various directions.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2010, 01:48:34 AM »
New level!

Now, you may be wondering how I managed to put together another level already. Well, actually this one was in progress a couple of months ago. (In fact, I recall telling some people about it back then...) I just had to fix it up a little before releasing it.

Don't be put off by its size - it plays pretty fast. ;)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2010, 08:49:32 AM »
Nice medium-difficulty level with decent puzzle and appealing visual design, that should have wide appeal to everyone here.  I also like how you kind of built in certain "clues" into the level's visual design itself. ;)

Any chance your next L2 level will use something other than the Egyptian style? ;P

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2010, 11:00:50 PM »
I also like how you kind of built in certain "clues" into the level's visual design itself.

I figure its only fair to give the player a guide when good placement is needed (like in the grenade level from L3's shadow tribe). If only geoo's "Breeze into the light" had something similar, I might have actually solved it rather than finding the solution and ultimately failing to pull it off after several retries... :(

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2010, 12:55:45 AM »
If only geoo's "Breeze into the light" had something similar, I might have actually solved it rather than finding the solution and ultimately failing to pull it off after several retries... :(

You're not talking about the throwers for that level are you? ??? Unless you've found another backroute, where you are supposed to use the throwers should be fairly logical based on the structure of the level.  As for other skills, yes, I guess there are one or two moves that are slightly tricky to execute in the intended solution, but I really don't see it being that much harder to work out via experimentation and execute than, say, executing your "what a twist" level w/o using the keyboard to help with fanning.  (The key idea behind the intended solution of course is another matter; my point being that once you have the general idea, I don't think the specifics are that horrific to discover and execute.)

In any event, maybe you should share your solution with geoo (if you haven't already) to see whether you might have found another backroute that he might want to eliminate.  (Assuming you're using V3 of that level of course.)  It's certainly not the first time I complained to geoo about a solution only to discover that it was a backroute or that the intended solution has an easier way.