Author Topic: Oh No! More Challenges!  (Read 111426 times)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Re: Oh No! More Challenges!
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2009, 09:26:38 AM »
Welcome back DragonsLover!  :thumbsup:

Thanks, but the 100% challenges have more or less been done to death when I was around doing most of them in the old old forums.

Hence my instruction to check the old thread before posting.  ;)

I never would have made up most of these challenges were it not for Lemmix. Having such a convenient playtesting tool means we can push the envelope quite a bit further than was (reasonably) possible in the past. But don't worry - nothing is ever going to make your Havoc 10 solution look like Tame 1.  :)

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2009, 06:09:09 PM »
I have another challenge:

Fun 12:  Pass the level without using any bombers, builders, bashers, or miners.  Also, only one blocker is allowed.
Hint (highlight to read):  Think "A.T."

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2009, 08:05:27 PM »
Let me guess.  Uses a glitch...

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2009, 08:43:09 PM »
Fun 12:  Pass the level without using any bombers, builders, bashers, or miners.  Also, only one blocker is allowed.

Can you post your number/percentage of lemmings saved in your challenge?  That way we can try working on improving the challenge in that manner.  For example, I'm currently looking into ClamSpammer's Tricky 28 challenge and while I haven't worked out everything in detail, I still think 100% should be possible in his challenge.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2009, 10:48:20 PM »
Let me guess.  Uses a glitch...

You'll be pleased to know that it doesn't. :)

I'm currently looking into ClamSpammer's Tricky 28 challenge and while I haven't worked out everything in detail, I still think 100% should be possible in his challenge.

Now you mention it, this does seem to be a possibility. In my original solution, I used a blocker because it was a very convenient way of keeping the lemmings under control.

And may I suggest 68/80 (85%) as a starting point for Fun 12?

Offline LemSteven

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2009, 12:55:46 AM »
And may I suggest 68/80 (85%) as a starting point for Fun 12?

That's probably about right for the maximum possible.  I got 81% on my first successful attempt, which I know can be improved on. 

I didn't specify a percentage because I wanted to leave it somewhat open.  Once you get as far as passing the level with the given restrictions, you've got the right idea.  Although admittedly, 50% would be pretty poor because you'd have to make a mistake somewhere to lose 40 lemmings.  I'd set a general target of 75-80%, with anything over 80% being bonus for optimizing the method.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2009, 01:43:29 AM »
I can now confirm...

It IS possible to get 100% in my Tricky 28 challenge!

The next step (:XD:) is to try to minimise the number of climbers used to get 100%, or equivalently, find out how many you can save without climbers (or, almost equivalently, with builders only). My current solution uses 4 climbers to tidy up at the end - and, interestingly, leaves a spare builder.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 01:05:00 PM by Minim »

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2009, 02:45:21 AM »
Good job! :thumbsup:  I'm actually kinda glad I don't have to spend too much further time on working out a 100% solution, although I might still try to finish what I was working on and see how my solution work out (as well as making it possible to compare with your solution).

I doubt I'll take the next step, given that I was counting on having the 4 or so climbers to help "tidy up".  Without climbers, you're left with only floaters, RR changes, and maybe the spare builder or two to influence how to compress the lemmings together, and looks like it would take a lot more experimentation to work things out.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2009, 03:48:57 AM »
Could someone send me a replay of the Tricky 28 challenge in Lemmix?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2009, 04:18:52 AM »
If/when I manage it myself for 100%, I'll upload a Lemmix replay on Lemmings Archive.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2009, 04:21:12 AM »
I can upload it now if you like.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2009, 05:38:28 AM »
That would be great.  Once it's there, post a download link!

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2009, 06:23:34 AM »
I've uploaded my original 79/80 solution, which used a blocker, as well as my new 100% solution.

Here they are.

If you want a better look at the glitch in action, I recommend the Mayhem 10 replays which are also on this page.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2009, 06:48:49 AM »
That was awesome.  I never even knew that was possible.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2009, 12:21:36 PM »
Now don't go calling my other challenges bogus ;)

Here's a couple more for you:

Tricky 27: 100% with 2 builders.

Wild 10: No diggers. My solution saves 72/80, or 90%, I doubt it's possible to get any more.

I'll probably leave Tricky 28 too at this point. I really don't think it's worthwhile trying to improve on it any more.