Author Topic: Oh No! More Challenges!  (Read 111418 times)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
Re: Oh No! More Challenges!
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 05:04:33 AM »
Glitch Thread?  I'm gonna check it out, I couldn't find anything on those forums.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 04:21:11 PM »
A fun thing is that with a very special setup, you can also achieve the exact opposite effect: having a blocker standing around, but without its blocking field thus having the Lemmings just walk past it.
Awesome. I'd love to hear all about it. ;)
Heh, you know it already. :P Why didn't you add it yourself to the glitch list you provided yet?
What I described is just a variation of it.

I wonder whether it's possible to design a level that allows the player to find out that glitch on his own...I think I might give that a try whenever I have time (which means likely not before the end of next week :().

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 10:13:42 PM »
Just figured it out :)

Anyway, I'm trying to encourage some discussion about glitches, rather than just making a list. That's why I haven't posted all the ones I know yet.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2009, 09:49:14 PM »
Posting some of the challenges from the old thread:

Dullstar:

Fun 15:  Don't let your eyes deceive you:
3 diggers, 8 builders, 2 bashers, 100%
Fun 16:  Don't do anything too hasty:
Builders, bashers, 2 diggers, 1 climber, 100%
Fun 20:  We are now at Lemcon 1:
Builders, 2 climbers, 2 bashers, 1 digger.

More later.
If a skill is listed, but no limit for it, you can use as many as the level gives you.

Tame Challenges
Tame 1:  2 bombers
Tame 2:  1 basher, 1 climber, 1 blocker, 1 bomber***
Tame 3:  9 blockers, 9 bombers***
Tame 4:  2 bombers, 5 builders, 1 digger
Tame 5:  5 bombers, 2 blockers***
Tame 6:  3 blockers, 8 bombers***
Tame 7:  1 climber, 1 basher, 1 builder, 2 miners, 1 digger, 100%
Tame 8:  2 bombers, 1 minute
Tame 9:  1 climber, 1 bomber, 1 basher
Tame 10: 1 builder, 3 blockers, 3 bombers***
Tame 11:  5 bombers, 1 basher
Tame 12:  Climbers (in case of stuck lemmings), 4 Bombers, 1 builder
Tame 13:  All skills as needed, 100%, no lemmings "lagging" lemmings
Tame 14:  Builders and Bashers ONLY, 100%
Tame 15:  3 Builders, 2 Miners, 1 Climber, 1 Digger, 100%
Tame 16:  1 Builder, 2 Bombers, 1 minute and 30 seconds
Tame 17:  2 bombers, 40 seconds
Tame 18:  3 blockers, 3 bombers, 1 miner, 1 basher***
Tame 19:  10 bombers
Tame 20:  2 bombers, 4 builders, release rate greater than or equal to 50

***For harder challenge, remove blockers.  In the case of Tame 3, this MAY make more bombers needed.

Versions:
Verified:  Lemmix, DOSBox
Bogus: None so far

These are just mine, though.  If you want your challenges here on this site, post them yourself or ask me.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2009, 03:42:09 AM »
From my question in the quiz thread that no one has managed to answer yet:

Fun 30 (Lock up your Lemmings).

You have one second from the time the first lemming appears to assign all the skills you need to pass this level.

And an unrelated challenge, which I've long thought to be possible but only just managed to pull off:

Crazy 10 (ROCKY VI) - Pass the level without letting any lemmings fall to the lower floor. Consider it a "ceiling route", if you will. :)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2009, 03:50:50 AM »
That's one I haven't heard of before.  I always though Lock up Your Lemmings/All or Nothing took longer than that.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2009, 03:56:56 AM »
Well the usual All or Nothing solution takes longer to execute, of course. The one second window only gives you enough time for the first basher.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2009, 04:13:29 AM »
Eh?  So the Lock up Your Lemmings (how I always did it) doesn't work for 1 second?  That's quite amazing.  O_o.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2009, 04:29:27 AM »
I don't see what's so amazing about that. One second isn't very long, you know (even if the game timer does stretch it a little).

I've just run a quick test. With perfect execution, it takes about 3 and a half seconds to reach the second platform, and 8 seconds to get to the lower right platform if you do the standard three bashers solution. That's from the time the first lemming appears on the screen.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2009, 02:03:56 AM »
That would be my personal preference.  I think ccexplore is really the one who started the practice of keeping glitches secret.  I still don't know some of his glitches, to tell you the truth.

;P Although actually, I don't believe I started off that way.  I clearly remember explaining a few glitches for some of the challenge solutions, like the 17/21 solution for Havoc 10.  For the most part, I think I only kept some glitches secret in case I want to make some levels around it later on, and kept a few to give people a chance at figuring out the challenge solution or something.

In any case, it's clear that I still haven't made any new levels in a while, and I really have no problem at this point with sharing glitches.  In fact, I think some people like geoo89 more or less knows about all of them at this point.  If there's any challenge solutions from the old old thread that people are still wondering about, I'm happy to provide a Lemmix replay + any explanations you need.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2009, 02:13:31 AM »
Looking through the old challenge thread, there's only one glitch that I don't know about (or perhaps do know but not by the same name), and that is Wild 15. I've seen a replay of this challenge, and I've found my own method of getting 48/50 on this level (hint: look at the steel objects - they're terribly placed), and for the life of me I can't see where the glitch is. ccexplore even mentioned the glitch again in that thread...

I'm not even sure if some people considered that a glitch.  It's been a while, but if I remember correctly, the solution I have in mind involves on the left side of the level, having a lemming facing left starts digging, then once he's dig deep enough, turn another lemming in the pit into a blocker left of the digger.  What will happen is this:

1) the blocker will actually change the digger to face right, even though you don't see the effect right away.
2) the digger in turn will free the blocker as it continues to dig.

Then now when I make the digger bash, it will bash to the right as I wanted, and not to the left.

The reason to do it like that, and not using a blocker at the start to make the lemming faces right before digging, is because I also need the freed blocker not to head left.  With the digger having created a deep enough pit, I ensure the freed blocker doesn't go in the wrong direction.

I specifically kept this one under wraps because at the time, I was hoping to create a custom level called something like "teach an old blocker new tricks", which features all the interesting interactions between blockers and other skills.  But now you know the secret. ;P

I believe I still have the Lemmix replay for this Wild 15 solution, if I find it I'm happy to post it.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2009, 02:36:01 AM »
Posting some of the challenges from the old thread:

This list seems a bit short, and I don't think I want to go through the old thread.  It would be really great if someone can compile a current list of known challengs from the old thread to this thread, starting with what the "Tricky 28 challenge" is.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2009, 02:45:21 AM »
Those were just his own challenges. There's a link to my challenge list in my sig. (EDIT: I've removed this link. You can find the list in my old challenge thread here. Note that some of these challenges have since been superseded...)

I think I've pretty much covered the old thread (for the DOS version at least), except for Wicked 7.
Thanks for clearing up the Wild 15 thing. We won't die wondering :)

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2009, 08:04:02 AM »
Here are the challenges I have posted straight before the old site closed down :

Crazy 18 : 100% to be saved (tough, but possible)
Crazy 19 : 100% to be saved (once you know what to do, it's a piece of cake)
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2009, 08:39:56 AM »
Thanks, but the 100% challenges have more or less been done to death when I was around doing most of them in the old old forums. ;P I have to say, some of ClamSpammer's new challenges make my old ones look like Tame 1 by comparison. ;)