Author Topic: A problem  (Read 16655 times)

DrLemmingsham

A problem
« on: April 16, 2007, 11:34:46 PM »
Okay, now, first, if I posted this in the wrong forum I'm sorry, but I'm new here. So, I downloaded a full Sega version of Lemmings 2: The Tribes. And I wanted to make my own levels. So I downloaded a level editor (For lemmings 2) and, well, it wouldn't run! So I asked someone on another forum to help me, and one guy pretty much said that I couldn't make levels, but he put it in the form of, "Sorry, the level editor is only for the AMIGA lemmings 2." So uh.. Where can I find one that'll work on my computer? My computer is a Windows XP, unable to run "special" files (.DAT, .DLL, .LHA, etc) without special program to load them. So what on earth do I do? I'm starting to get desparet! :mikecry:

Offline covox

• View Profile
Re: A problem
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 02:32:00 AM »
You appear to have a Sega MegaDrive Lemmings 2 binary, and an Amiga Lem2Edit binary. Neither of which will work under Winders Expee without an emulator, and the editor would need an Amiga copy of Lemmings 2.

Sadly, no-one has been brave enough to write a Winders editor for Lemmings 2. But there is a Windows editor for the original Lemmings (Lemmix), and some people have recreated the engine to run on modern OSes (Lemmini, Tundra).

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 02:38:39 AM »
And the Amiga Lemmings 2 editor sucks.  I tried it.  Couldn't get it to import levels back into the game or anything.

Wish I knew more programming than Multimedia Fusion-- then, with some documentation of the L2 file format I'd try and make something.  But I can't do that. =/

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 04:13:19 AM »
on this forum we've got all the talent we need to put together a Lemmings 2 level editor (and Lemmings 3 level editor for that matter)... we're just too lazy/busy :(

DrLemmingsham

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 10:28:12 PM »
What!?!? NOOOOOOOOOO!!!  :mikecry: :mikecry: :mikecry: :sad: :sad: :sad: :( :( :(

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 03:41:12 AM »
Maybe with a bit of reverse engineering, it could be possible to modify all of the levels of Lemmings II. I tried on one under Dos and all I can only modify seems to be the titles of the levels. Maybe it is possible to edit the levels using the memory snapshots of LemII under Steem or WinUAE. Maybe.
I like dragons! They're the center of my life! I'll never forget them...

DrLemmingsham

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 10:22:05 PM »
I don't want to CHANGE levels,  I want to make my own!!!

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 05:23:29 AM »
But by modificating them, you could create your own! :angry:

Anyway, for now, the answer is "No, you can't create levels. The only way is to get an Amiga computer and taking the Lemmings II editor that sucks, as Mr.K said."

Why not creating original Lemmings levels instead? You can create Lemmings I levels using Lemmings II graphics with Cheapo Copycat.

DrLemmingsham

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 09:49:04 PM »
But by modificating them, you could create your own! :angry:

Anyway, for now, the answer is "No, you can't create levels. The only way is to get an Amiga computer and taking the Lemmings II editor that sucks, as Mr.K said."

Why not creating original Lemmings levels instead? You can create Lemmings I levels using Lemmings II graphics with Cheapo Copycat.
WHAT!?!? Why didn't you say so the first time? Where can I get Cheapo Copycat!?!? :undecided: :huh2: :huh:

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 04:23:47 AM »
Here!

There's already the Beach style included and I think there's the Circus style for download somewhere. However, if you want the others, you have to create them by taking screenshots of the landscapes of Lemmings II and creating your own tiles. The way to create a style is included in a DOC file in the Docs folder. There you could create your own levels of Lemmings II but with the gameplay of Lemmings I (you cannot have all the skills of Lemmings II, just the normal ones). However, you can create anti-grav levels where Lemmings are walking on the ceiling. :laugh:

DrLemmingsham

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 04:48:48 AM »
However, if you want the others, you have to create them by taking screenshots of the landscapes of Lemmings II and creating your own tiles. The way to create a style is included in a DOC file in the Docs folder.
Err what? What Doc folder or file or... What are you talking about? I am no programmer whatsoever. What I did is I went to "Gamfabrique.com" and downloaded Lemmings 2: The Tribes. I installed it, and found it was the Sega version. It didn't come with any Doc files or doc folders. Just the program and nothing more.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 04:44:48 AM »
I meant the DOC file inside the Docs folder of the Cheapo Copycat Lemmings directory: "Custom Style File.doc".

DrLemmingsham

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 12:19:39 AM »
I meant the DOC file inside the Docs folder of the Cheapo Copycat Lemmings directory: "Custom Style File.doc".
Whoa... I found it, but it's too confusing. I have no idea how to program, code, or anything technical. I took a computer geek quiz, and my result was "Technical Support Nightmare." Ya know why? I had know clue how to program or anything. And it's true! I need help!

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 02:41:09 AM »
Cheapo's "programming" as you call it is actually pretty simple.  It's more like a guide that tells the game "okay, this goes here and this goes here.  Ja?"

And just because you can't program doesn't mean you're a tech support nightmare... my parents couldn't code a "Hello, World" program (usually used as a 'your first program' example in most programming languages) to save their lives and yet are otherwise computer literate...

This makes me remember how much I wish Dimwits would show signs of at least being worked on.

Offline DragonsLover

• Do you want fire?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 04:19:32 AM »
Yeah, don't worry! Coding style files are quite really easy! Just read carefully the document and you should have no problem. The trick is: refers to it while you are at the step of coding. Because, first, you'll have to create BMP files of the different graphic parts of your levels, for example: blocks, bushes, walls, obstacles; and objects, like: trapdoor, exit, water, traps...