Author Topic: lemmings challenge solutions available for your viewing pleasure  (Read 17859 times)

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
Re: lemmings challenge solutions available for your viewing pleasure
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2006, 09:46:50 AM »
I uploaded a temporary testversion 0.0.9.1 with (only) one savestate for recording Mayhem 2.

In this temp/test/inbetween-version the playing screen has a few extra commands:

"f" (lowercase) =toggle fastforward (already in 0.0.9.0)
"F" (uppercase) = jump one game-minute (17 * 60 frames)
space = jump 10 game-seconds (17 * 10 frames)
Ctrl + F1 = Store current situation as savestate
Shift + F1 = Restore the savestate, saved with Ctrl + F1

Advice: only change RR in paused mode.

http://home.hccnet.nl/ericenzwaan/lemmix/hslemmix.zip
( the hs prefix stands for hyperspeed :) )

Edit: How on earth is the lemmings-crowd going to break through the platform?

tseug

« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2006, 11:50:51 PM »
Edit: How on earth is the lemmings-crowd going to break through the platform?

That's the glitch. It makes the lemmings "jump" up very quickly.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2006, 11:55:27 PM »
Since my 73/75 solution [not to be confused with the 72/75 solution] for Mayhem 10 also uses this "giant leap" glitch, perhaps I can work on that instead and upload it this weekend so you at least get a better idea of what's going on.̆ The 100% Mayhem 2 solution would use the same glitch, though it's quite a bit harder to use on that level since you have to compress the crowd in order to have the glitch affect all of them.

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2006, 06:55:23 AM »
I assume it has to be some particular terrain-bridge construction, because the walkers have to jump up themselves. It it possible to create a level in which this glitch takes places without the player having to do anything?

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2006, 07:13:25 AM »
Well I think I've got it... I'll have a try recording it... (EDIT: Forget this post :))

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2006, 04:54:16 PM »
I uploaded a few maximums:

1) maximum solution for Havoc 20. (at least until now)
2) 100% Taxing 25
3) 79-80 Mayhem 2 (not the real maximum some say, we'll see...)

(as well as my second Wild 15, so one of them can be removed, because it's exactly the same, sorry Mindless...)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2006, 01:20:13 PM »
Since my 73/75 solution [not to be confused with the 72/75 solution] for Mayhem 10 also uses this "giant leap" glitch, perhaps I can work on that instead and upload it this weekend so you at least get a better idea of what's going on.

I've now uploaded to Mindless's file portal a 71/75, a 72/75, and my 73/75 solutions for Mayhem 10.̆ They are all zipped into mayhem10.zip.

71/75 is LemSteven's record; since I didn't ask him what his solution is, the replay is my edcuated guess on how he achieved 71/75.

72/75 is my first improvement on the level; as you can see, it is really a variation on LemSteven's general solution concept, using some tricks/glitches to speed up the construction of the landing place.

73/75 is my second improvement on the level and the current record.̆ It uses the "giant leap" glitch, and is distinctly different from the 71/75 and 72/75.

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2006, 06:55:25 PM »
Spectacular Elevator Effect in Mayhem 10! How many people knew that one?
Who discovered it. Was it by accident?
So this is the effect, used in Mayhem 2.

I would like to see :
-Crazy 1 lose 0 (If people want to try themselves, they can just *not* download it)
-Tricky 27 lose 3 (I can achieve lose 4 and cannot imagine lose 3)

tseug

« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2006, 08:08:11 PM »
I thought tricky 27 was 100%....

I think I'll do lose 10 taxing 28 soon, unless cce does it first. :winktounge:

EDIT: Oh, you mean taxing...

EDIT2: lose 3 taxing 27 is uploaded.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2006, 09:31:04 PM »
Nice, I just managed the 100% Crazy 1 solution! I'll send it to you, Eric, and ccexplore to check, via mail (I don't know whether ccexplore would like me to send it to the portal right now).

For the portal, with a lot of really amazing solutions, very good idea. It's just a little bit chaotic in there (although by searching, you easily find what you want), anyway, maybe a kind of 'nomenclature' for the solutions file names would be good for the sake of clearness.

The elevator effect is neat, that's true. IIRC what ccexplore told me, he found it with help of the disassembly. Without knowing it before, I found it out by accident later and used it in a level of mine.
Since ccexplore created a level showing the trick very well for the lemmings remake (http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/lemmingswelt/forums/?topic=1135291547 , search for bigleap.lvl), it shouldn't be a secret anymore.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2006, 09:47:57 PM »
Nice, I just managed the 100% Crazy 1 solution! I'll send it to you, Eric, and ccexplore to check, via mail (I don't know whether ccexplore would like me to send it to the portal right now).

With so many people managing the solution, I can't think of any reason not to upload it to the portal......so I just did that.  I even included 3 solutions:  mine, what I think might be Shvegait's, and geoo89's.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2006, 09:54:07 PM »
IIRC what ccexplore told me, he found it with help of the disassembly.

That's true, although a number of people did discover it independently and by accident.  Also, it's quite possible for someone who's really inquisitive to ask oneself the question:  "what exactly happens when, after a jumper starts jumping, you fill up the step he was jumping to?"  Then armed with CustLemm he could've easily make a level to experiment and discover the answer (the glitch).  (Indeed, if I recall, I had that question in mind first when I looked at the disassembly for answers.)

So I firmly believe that the glitch could've been found and understood by someone without the aid of disassembly.

Offline Shvegait

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2006, 11:11:57 PM »
With so many people managing the solution, I can't think of any reason not to upload it to the portal......so I just did that.  I even included 3 solutions:  mine, what I think might be Shvegait's, and geoo89's.

Wow! I checked out the solutions, and they are not much like mine at all (except for the first step). It's less elegant than ccexplore's 2 solutions and much less elegant than geoo89's. However! It only needs 3 blockers, so at least that's something :tongue:

I thought it was funny when you said something like "As I expected, Shvegait's solution is basically a variation of mine" as if you talked to me about it! It was only "as you expected" because you found another solution similar to yours that changed the last move  :tongue:

I'll upload a solution in a little bit; I made one, but I think the properties were slightly messed up because I loaded it from the DLEVEL000.DAT file instead of the built-in way for selecting levels. But I can assure you those changes won't affect it one bit.

This is the most interesting thing about Lemmings levels. No matter when you think you've found THE solution, there's always another...

Edit: Uploaded

tseug

« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2006, 04:55:43 AM »
Uploaded lose 10 solution for Taxing 28. You're welcome to go for lose 9... but I think I determined that it was impossible when I first did this on SNES...

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2006, 07:15:05 AM »
@Tseug: Yeah it was Taxing instead of Tricky. I just thought it was impossible, wasting these bridges in the beginning :)
And just when I thought I saw all tricks now, I see a climber locking himself up in the terrain.

@Shvegait: I would like to know which properties are messed up. If you are refering to the mechanics, you can check them out in the generated text file. As far as I know it does not matter how you open the level, because Lemmix wants to assign a LemmingStyle anyway (this is done automatically when using the levelviewer of course)
The main difference between a CustLemm recording and ONML recording can be seen is this line:
Faller Starts With 3 Falling pixels : yes
It's "yes" for ONML and "no" for CustLemm