Author Topic: lemmings challenge solutions available for your viewing pleasure  (Read 17797 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Now that Eric's Lemmix (alpha version 0.0.7.0 to be exact) has the ability to record and play back solutions, there's now a way to share solutions to DOS Lemmings levels without making huge movie captures with DOSBox!

I will start uploading some Lemmix-recorded solutions to the following location:

http://www.geocities.com/guestlevels/lemmings/challenges

To play them back you need to do the following:

1) download and unzip the solutions somewhere.̆ The files with the ".lrb" extension are the recorded solutions.̆ The .txt files are the recorded solutions in a more human-readable form, in case you're curious.

2) Open the corresponding level in Lemmix.̆ You'll find Tricky 23 in level000.dat of DOS original Lemmings, and Havoc 10 at dlvel000.dat of DOS ONML.̆ Once you open the DAT file, Lemmix will present a pop up window which lists by title all the levels in the levelpak, and you can select the one you want to load it.

3) Once the correct level is loaded, press F2 to go into playtest mode.

4) Press shift+R (ie. capital R).̆ Lemmix will ask you to open a replay file.̆ Select the .lrb file for the level you are on.

5) Now sit back and enjoy the show!̆ Lemmix will automatically restart the level with automatic replay when you opened the lrb file.̆ You can pause and unpause at any point in the replay, if you want to examine certain parts of it more carefully or slowly.

6) Press ESC at any time to quit and go back to editor mode.

--------------

I've uploaded the 79/80 Tricky 23 solution and the 17/21 Havoc 10 solution so far.

I'm planning to do the 100% Wicked 6 at some point, though since I can't find any notes I written down for that level, I might have to figure out the solution again from scratch, so that might take some time.

Feel free to drop requests here on which other solutions you'd like to see!̆ There will be a few solutions that I won't make available for now, mainly because I might want to use similar techniques in my own CustLemm levels, but it doesn't hurt to ask anyway.

If you have any trouble installing Lemmix I'll be glad to help, as is Eric.̆ I will also answer any questions you may have regarding the solutions posted.

Offline nobody

• View Profile
Re: lemmings challenge solutions available for your viewing pleasure
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 02:38:32 PM »
When I try to open the LRB file I get an error message: Error during play: invalid stream format. Also for some reason the path for all my .dat files seems to be hard coded to C:/LemOrig, so I couldn't open them from their original locations. I moved the files to C:/LemOrig and now they work, but since the graphics files for the original lemmings and ONML have the same name I can't have them both in the same directory, so I have to keep moving files around if I want to view levels from the different games correctly. Any help?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 04:58:12 PM »
Hi, to set up the paths you need to edit the "LemmixStyles.ini" file.

Exit Lemmix if it's still running, then open LemmixStyles.ini in Notepad.̆ You will find a section that starts like this:

[style_0]
StyleClass=TDosOrigStyle
CommonPath=

Change the assigned value of "CommonPath" to point to the directory where you have DOS original Lemmings installed.̆ For example if it's "c:\lemmings", then change the line to

CommonPath=c:\lemmings

Similarly for [style_1], which should be the ONML style section.̆ Change its CommonPath to point to DOS ONML's directory.

Save the changes and then run Lemmix again, and it should work correctly now.  Let me know if that helps.

Offline nobody

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 05:28:02 PM »
Thanks for explaining the paths. I still get the "invalid stream format" error when I try to open an lrb file though, any help?.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 07:12:45 PM »
I have a feeling you are using an older version of Lemmix.̆ Perhaps Eric forgotten to update http://home.hccnet.nl/ericenzwaan/lemmix/Lemmix.zip to the 0.0.7.0 version.

<update: this has been fixed by Eric>

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 07:53:02 PM »
I'm sorry for the manual installation but we are at alpha stage. I uploaded 0.0.7.
I think I uploaded a "lemmix.zip", yesterday or so, which should have been "Lemmix.zip" (note the uppercase).
The paths are all explained in the readme.
Lemmix 0.0.6 gives the "invalid stream" error.
In the menu Help-->About you can verify the version.

Offline nobody

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 08:36:15 PM »
Thanks for the help. I'm looking forward to seeing more of these. That Havoc 10 solution was pretty crazy! What exactly caused the first miner to stop mining? Also, as a request I'd like to see the 100% solution for Taxing 16 (Mary Poppins land).

Offline nobody

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 09:19:26 PM »
Here are 100% solutions for Tricky 22 and Mayhem 7: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ybg1nx

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 09:55:13 PM »
Please only record for Original Lemmings!!!
I'm having a small mechanics problem with ONML and CustLemm.

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 10:06:39 PM »
Speedy solution for Mayhem 7
Mine was this:
http://home.hccnet.nl/ericenzwaan/lemmix/original.zip

Offline nobody

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 10:24:06 PM »
Cool, I didn't realize it was possible to clear the final gap from the pole with only one builder. Before coming up with my solution I had spent an entire afternoon trying to figure out how to 100% it but everything I tried came up one skill short.

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2006, 10:37:11 PM »
ONML and CustLem can be recorded with Lemmix 0.0.8.0 now (I hope, I have to sleep now).

tseug

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2006, 12:32:34 AM »
For some reason the moust is still active during replays, so moving the mouse even one pixel can mess up the whole replay.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2006, 12:47:25 AM »
That's odd.̆ I assume this is version 0.0.8.0?̆ I haven't got a chance to try that yet.̆ Then again, come to think of it, so far I haven't really been moving the mouse much when watching a replay.

The replay format records the index of the lemming to assign skills to, so the position of the mouse cursor shouldn't matter at all.̆ (Unless it's a graphics issue.)̆ Can you be more specific about how moving the mouse is messing up the replay?

tseug

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2006, 12:59:57 AM »
Oh, actually it's clicking. After one click the skills aren't assigned anymore.

BTW when I try to play the Havoc 10 recording it says "no compatible graphics set found" (more specifically when I try to change the style). I changed the config file to point to the right set, but it still doesn't work.

EDIT: I got the graphics set, but when I try to play it I get this:

Error during play:
invalid replay header different mechanics.