Author Topic: When the forum is loaded I see the entire news ticker  (Read 4082 times)

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
When the forum is loaded I see the entire news ticker
« on: March 26, 2023, 03:45:05 PM »
When I first refresh/load the forum I see every single possible text for the news ticker all at once and not in bold for a split second
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 01:13:08 AM by Simon »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: When the forum is loaded I see the entire news ticker
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 01:10:05 AM »
Yes, can reproduce in Chrome. Ticker shows all lines, then loads the forum title image, then ticker cuts to 3 lines of the first message. The entire board listing happily jumps around.

I want to cut the ticker altogether from the page, server-side, for everybody. It's outdated, 22th level design contest was over a year ago. Important stuff shouldn't roll in and out anyway. And moving stuff is distracting regardless of its importance. What do others think?

-- Simon

Offline Mindless

• Inactive - may respond to PM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 02:10:40 AM »
Eliminate it.  I have always had it minimized.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2023, 10:18:27 PM »
Yes, can reproduce in Chrome. Ticker shows all lines, then loads the forum title image, then ticker cuts to 3 lines of the first message. The entire board listing happily jumps around.

I want to cut the ticker altogether from the page, server-side, for everybody. It's outdated, 22th level design contest was over a year ago. Important stuff shouldn't roll in and out anyway. And moving stuff is distracting regardless of its importance. What do others think?

-- Simon

this is the second time I've heard someone say something along these lines "moving stuff is distracting". Some one said such about animating gif avatars. I never found this so in the slightest...:lix-unsure:

anyways I don't care about the news ticker
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2023, 12:14:23 PM »
Yeah, now that I think about it, the news ticker is pretty pointless. I wouldn't be against just removing it.

The only thing actual "news" that couldn't be replaced with a "Lemmings Forums New Poster Information" thread or an automatic email when singing up or something along those lines is the contests, and we've lived not only without it but with it actively displaying the wrong information for a year.

One thing to note though is that if we removed the news ticker we wouldn't have the one month advertising prize on the level design contests anymore.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2023, 02:55:02 AM »
I removed the news ticker entirely for everybody.

The theme settings had a checkbox for the ticker, but deactivating that checkbox didn't remove the ticker. I had to remove all entries instead.

-- Simon

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2023, 01:50:10 PM »
Yes, I can see that on my end now too. Thanks Simon :thumbsup: